U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:21 PM

296 posts, read 1,001,704 times

Advertisements

I just moved to SA last week and I noticed the HEB grocery stores here having a weekly meal deal, where you can purchase certain items and get certain items free. I thought this was kinda cool cause it's usually items that go together, so it would save some money here and there. I was just wondering how this works, like do I need to be a member of a club or have a special coupon to be eligible? It says on the ad "with in store coupons"... where do I get the coupons?? From the flyer? The store? Somewhere else?? (totally new to discounts and couponing if you couldn't already tell!) Also, how can they afford to just randomly give away food with coupons? I'm from Orange County where I'm used to paying out the nose for everything, so this blows my mind a little bit lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM

584 posts, read 1,009,614 times
The coupons are on display with the item in the store and all the other items that go with it are right there displayed also. No club to join, no cards to carry. Just pick up the coupon and all the meal deal items and take to the cashier.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,703,745 times
I never seem to want the combos they have. I'd rather have coupons for a SINGLE item.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,221,919 times
Those were always a ripoff, in my experience. They typically jack the price up of the main item, get deals from the manufacturers on the "freebie" items, and you go home feeling pretty proud of yourself. Till next week, when you see the main item back at its regular price.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM

97 posts, read 304,723 times
Odd - never really have seen where they've jacked up the price on the main item.

I'm assuming prices would fluctuate on meat type of products due to general commodity moves, however in the overall, it's still one hell of a deal.

H-E-B is still extremely low priced comparable to other markets, especially when you throw in deals like the Meal Deals.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,874,942 times
jack up the price? that is not true. the meal deals are pretty good deals. then you also have the " buy name brand item, get the HEB equivalent for free. Welcome to san antonio. HEB also has free baggers and assistants if you need someone to carry out your groceries. HEB also supports the community big time. they have the buddy bucks, the grocery bag mascot, and anytime you see a big event in the community HEB is always there. they give back. Other big supermarkets ( walmart) is not actively involved in the community. support your local HEB.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:12 PM

When ribeyes are $4.99 a lb one week and you get nothing free, then the following week they are $7.99 a week with a bunch of free stuff, yeah, it's jacked. That was my experience with them and frankly, I didn't need all the other freebies so they weren't a good deal for me. Sorry you got your feathers ruffled.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM

15 posts, read 16,383 times
Well he did specifically say that meat could potentially have a shifting price. Majority of the time I've found the deals to be pretty decent, and it's a novel concept at least.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM

I guess it's a coincidence that it shifts up when there's a deal.

Y'all can knock yourselves out with the deals, if they work for you, great. I do not for a minute believe that HEB is just being generous and giving stuff away, however. I'm happy to live in an area that has multiple stores to choose from, because in SA people tend to get their HEB blinders on and obviously some get a little testy if someone says anything against the company.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,446,757 times
The costs of the food "given away" in these meal deals are asorbed somewhere else although you may not know it. It is not rocket science.

I usually pass up on them because you are forced to buy 'hill country fare' brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio