Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times

Advertisements

I think plates are better because you will not forget them, never heard of plate profiling, sounds like hooey. Plus for placards is you can use them in any car though. I am always concerned about someone breaking in to steal the placard itself however.

Placards may also be displayed on the dash instead of hanging, but be careful if you drive with the windows down so it doesnt blow out!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And just to note, with the Texas Motorist Protection Act of 2007, you don't even need a CHL to conceal carry a handgun in your vehicle as long as you meet a few basic requirements (not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, not a member of a criminal street gang, not engaged in criminal activity other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic, etc.).

The MPA only allows law-abiding Texans to conceal carry in their vehicle, it does not extend that right to other areas unless they have a Concealed Carry License; only "inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control." "Directly en route" means from your place of residence to your vehicle and back.

Also note that per Federal Law, Post Offices don't allow personally-owned firearms on USPS property, which includes their parking lots!

Many HC individuals I know do have CHLs, but I understand it's not a solution for everyone!
I looked into this back in 2008.

I like my Freedom To Carry as opposed to Right To Carry.

with Right To Carry you get to -

have a government-issued permit,
fill out forms,
take tests,
pay a tax,
they take your fingerprints,
and your photograph
you are embedded in state and federal databases
and there is an expiration date,
for the exercise of your “rights.”

if you are in your vehicle, (or enroute to), you are traveling.

Searching the term HB 1815 (back in 2008),
I found this.....

Texas thus becomes the fourth state to recognize Freedom to Carry (FTC)
-- concealed carry with no permit --
at least under the narrow circumstances of in vehicles and on your premises.
(The other three are Vermont, Alaska, and Montana outside of city limits.
Arizona recognizes FTC in your home, business and on land you own or lease.)
FTC differs from so-called “Right-to-Carry,”
which requires a government-issued permit,
forms, tests, taxation, fingerprinting, photographing, embedding in state and federal databases
and an expiration date, for exercise of “rights.”

Passed (5/26/07), Effective date 9/1/07.
as far as I am concerned, uncle O can keep his nose outta my rights.

and yes, I do know uncle is reading this as we type.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I think plates are better because you will not forget them, never heard of plate profiling, sounds like hooey. Plus for placards is you can use them in any car though. I am always concerned about someone breaking in to steal the placard itself however.

Placards may also be displayed on the dash instead of hanging, but be careful if you drive with the windows down so it doesnt blow out!
A window decal is a simple solution. Dirt cheap and easily renewed or updated. Doesn't make the city $25.00 a pop though.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Show them your placard and /or other proof and pay a $25.00 dismissal/court cost fee. Wife has paid it twice. Tape or nail the placard to your window ...it's too easy to forget to display it.
See my post above about Texas Trans Code §547.613 Restriction on Windows.

Additionally, Texas state law requires it to be hung on the rearview mirror...

Quote:
§681.006. PARKING PRIVILEGES: PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES. (a) Subject to Section 681.009(e), a vehicle may be parked for an unlimited period in a parking space or area that is designated specifically for persons with physical disabilities if:
(1) the vehicle is being operated by or for the transportation of a person with a disability; and
(2) there are:
(A) displayed on the vehicle special license plates issued under Section 504.201; or
(B) placed on the rearview mirror of the vehicle's front windshield a disabled parking placard.
Yes, technically a person can be cited for having the placard in other locations; but usually we will not do so unless we are unable to read the placard (especially the date). Some unscrupulous people will try to use an expired placard by obscuring the expiration date.

Usually if the placard is visible but not properly displayed, we might issue a written warning that does not require any action on the individual's part but will be recorded with the court.

On some vehicles, it is not possible to hand the placard on the rearview mirror. In those cases, a written warning is usually not issued as circumstances don't allow the person to comply with the law. As long as they display it as properly as they can, the spirit of the law is met.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
See my post above about Texas Trans Code §547.613 Restriction on Windows.

Additionally, Texas state law requires it to be hung on the rearview mirror...

Yes, technically a person can be cited for having the placard in other locations; but usually we will not do so unless we are unable to read the placard (especially the date). Some unscrupulous people will try to use an expired placard by obscuring the expiration date.

Usually if the placard is visible but not properly displayed, we might issue a written warning that does not require any action on the individual's part but will be recorded with the court.

On some vehicles, it is not possible to hand the placard on the rearview mirror. In those cases, a written warning is usually not issued as circumstances don't allow the person to comply with the law. As long as they display it as properly as they can, the spirit of the law is met.
I'm aware it must be hung from the rearview mirror. People take them down when driving to get them out of the way. Sometimes people forget to re-hang them. Thus the case for decals! As for your Texas Trans Code §547.613 . The decals wouldn't need to be any larger than your license or inspection sticker. I assume those don't violate the law.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times

Quote:

I couldn't make heads or tails out of your post)

here is the heads or tails -

******Right To Carry******
1 have a government-issued permit,
2 fill out forms,
3 take tests,
4 pay a tax,
5 they take your fingerprints,
6 and your photograph
7 you are embedded in state and federal databases
8 and there is an expiration date,
.................................................. for the exercise of your “rights.”
******Freedom To Carry******

HB 1815 - if you are in your vehicle, (or enroute to), you are traveling.
and
uncle O can keep his nose outta my rights.

gotta love the Great State of Texas.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
"if placard cannot be hung, place on dash with expiration date facing up" -from the back of my placard

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
"if placard cannot be hung, place on dash with expiration date facing up" -from the back of my placard
Quote:
If the placard cannot be hung, place it on the dash with the expiration date facing up.
It is readily apparent when a placard cannot be hung, but most of the time people think it is OK just to place it on the dash anyway.

The law requires it to be hung, and as I said if it is obvious that it cannot be then we don't cite; but the vast majority are people who could but don't.

Like I said, at most it is a written warning; but an improperly displayed placard can be cited.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
i figured that the cops can put your plate # and know you are a valid handicap person. these days they have all our info in the computers.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
They may be able to, but if they let the people get away with not displaying the placard because the cops can look it up it could cause two potential problems.
First, people could just start giving their friends the tag and basically get a two for one.
Second, if many people stopped putting them up, it would be a waste of time to have to stop and check so many cars tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio