U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,046,552 times
Default Handicapped Parking Violation (Forgot to Put Placard Up)

Hello, hello! I've been gone for almost a month on non-stop traveling! The Caribbean, Cyprus & Eastern Europe. 'twas great practicing my Russian for 2 and a half weeks straight.

Anyways, my grandmother, who has a handicapped parking placard, accidentally forgot to place it in her car & received a parking ticket. We just found the original documents that came with the placard about 5 minutes ago.

Could we just go to court, show the documentation and have it dismissed or lowered to a "failure to display placard" charge instead of the whole $230 handicapped parking violation? Has anyone else here had experience with this situation?

Just curious. Thanks in advance! It's great to be back here, although I will miss the food over there! Yum yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM

3,350 posts, read 10,057,078 times
Just show proof of failure to display the placard. If your lucky it will be totally dismissed. I only did it once and learned the lesson.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 AM

8,303 posts, read 12,823,854 times
Most likely the judge will dismiss the citation if she brings evidence that she has a valid placard. Unfortunately, without a valid placard or tags displayed, it will happen.

You might want to advise her to get Texas handicapped license plates instead.

Also, she has two weeks from the date of the citation to get downtown and get it taken care of, make sure she does so in that time.

Just curious, when and where did she get the citation?

Old 06-16-2013, 11:10 AM

June 4th at the HEB on 281/Evans. The court date is set for this week & I was going to help her out since she doesn't drive downtown.

We don't want to get handicapped plates because that sort of seems like a "Mug Me" sign, doesn't it? Don't want to invite any sort of profiling.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:51 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,478,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We don't want to get handicapped plates because that sort of seems like a "Mug Me" sign, doesn't it? Don't want to invite any sort of profiling.
Where did you get that idea from ?? There are lots of people with handicap plates out there that are more than capable of defending themselves and are no "easy targets". Plus there are more than a few who have CHL permits. If I were looking to mug somebody, I'd look elsewhere for that reason alone.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Where did you get that idea from ?? There are lots of people with handicap plates out there that are more than capable of defending themselves and are no "easy targets". Plus there are more than a few who have CHL permits. If I were looking to mug somebody, I'd look elsewhere for that reason alone.
I've heard it on occasion, that's all.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,417,547 times
For that reason, my son has placards, not plates. We just didn't want some idiot to think he might be an easy mark (because he is).

However, while the placard is more flexible, in that you can move it from car to car, you can also forget to put it up (been there, done that), or leave it in a rental (been there, done that).

Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
June 4th at the HEB on 281/Evans. The court date is set for this week & I was going to help her out since she doesn't drive downtown.
Good, it wasn't me!

If the citation was issued on 4 June, her court day would be this coming Tuesday (18 June). Hope your plans are to get down there in the next two days!

Quote:
I've never heard that being an issue, and to be honest I think it is an urban myth. If anything, a vehicle parked in HC spots would be targeted before the tags as you never know who is driving the vehicle otherwise.

Plus, most criminals would target an elderly person on their own regardless of their license plates.

While many people with HC placards violate this, it is actually illegal to drive with HC placards hanging on the rearview mirror (Texas Trans Code 547.613 Restriction on Windows). The plates alleviate that problem as well as forgetting.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
And just to note, with the Texas Motorist Protection Act of 2007, you don't even need a CHL to conceal carry a handgun in your vehicle as long as you meet a few basic requirements (not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, not a member of a criminal street gang, not engaged in criminal activity other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic, etc.).

The MPA only allows law-abiding Texans to conceal carry in their vehicle, it does not extend that right to other areas unless they have a Concealed Carry License; only "inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control." "Directly en route" means from your place of residence to your vehicle and back.

Also note that per Federal Law, Post Offices don't allow personally-owned firearms on USPS property, which includes their parking lots!

Many HC individuals I know do have CHLs, but I understand it's not a solution for everyone!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM

98,530 posts, read 25,062,151 times
Show them your placard and /or other proof and pay a $25.00 dismissal/court cost fee. Wife has paid it twice. Tape or nail the placard to your window ...it's too easy to forget to display it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio