Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times

Advertisements

Why are the forums requiring us to "spread reputation around before we give it to 'xxxxx' again" ?
What is the point of that? So, we can't just simply decide someone warrants recognition, we must first make sure that someone else gets it first?

To me, that makes the whole thing useless and without any merit...... AND reminds me of little kiddie parties where you have to continually make sure that everyone gets the same amount of cake and ice cream....

Count me out..... so for many of you, who I have always admired as well as your posts and admirable comments..... I won't even be trying to issue reputation anymore. It's meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,456 times
Reputation systems on message boards tend to have this sort of problem. They become tools for people to punish their enemies and reward their friends, so safeguards like this one are put into place, which just makes people mad, which makes them even less useful than they were before. Another way people get around the safeguards is by signing their anonymous reputation points, which I've noticed going on around here.

I tend to ignore karma/reputation systems because, like you've figured out, they are very imperfect.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
It's ok PopsG! It's the thought that counts! If someone is really really helpful, send them a DM!

I was also disappointed at first, but I keep trying! The moderator even gives out reps and is limited, so it's really the way the program is set up. It keeps people from "buddying up" and prevents a popularity contest. I think it's extra nice to give newer members reps to let them know they are welcome and noticed.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Why are the forums requiring us to "spread reputation around before we give it to 'xxxxx' again" ?
What is the point of that? So, we can't just simply decide someone warrants recognition, we must first make sure that someone else gets it first?

To me, that makes the whole thing useless and without any merit...... AND reminds me of little kiddie parties where you have to continually make sure that everyone gets the same amount of cake and ice cream....

Count me out..... so for many of you, who I have always admired as well as your posts and admirable comments..... I won't even be trying to issue reputation anymore. It's meaningless.
I really have no idea what any of this means - we're required to do what? This kinda rulebook stuff gives me a headache. PopsGuy, count me out too (from whatever the hell it is I want to be counted out from )

Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

159 posts, read 784,924 times
I dont get any of it. Ive NEVER gave anybody points....I dont know how to. Now that you mention it I see mine are pretty low.......does that me nobody likes me. Im on here everyday really for the GBNF thread, but a few other catch my eye........why do we have to give points cant we just read and share.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I really have no idea what any of this means - we're required to do what? This kinda rulebook stuff gives me a headache. PopsGuy, count me out too (from whatever the hell it is I want to be counted out from )
LOLOL, now THAT'S funny!!! thanks for making my day.... LOL

and, guess what you get???? LOL.... rep!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:17 PM

hee heee, I see I gained a few because of this very post....
thank you very kindly..... and I'm gonna keep spreading it around too....

it really is quite nice to see that something you said influenced someone somehow..... made them laugh, made them think, echoed their thoughts and words, showed them a new viewpoint....

I like to give it away as much as receive....
well, now, I'm not so sure that sounded so good.... LOL.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio