U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,320,337 times

Advertisements

Trains can operate in all types of weather form Blizzards and Ice Storms to Wind storms and Foggy conditions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqIWKNP4MQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM

783 posts, read 1,932,404 times
Hey you think that's crazy? I catch the train in greenwood. I live in winona, the amtrak used to stop like 4 blocks from my house. Anyway, I can catch the train pretty easily from here. Meridian is about 2-3 hours from here, along the southeast side of the state. Meridian is planned as part of the high speed rail service that will run up to DC and south to new orleans. Guess how I get to Meridian from here on the amtrak? Ayup.... Chicago. It's three days by train and costs a few hundred bucks.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 AM

Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Trains can operate in all types of weather form Blizzards and Ice Storms to Wind storms and Foggy conditions...
Which we rarely get here in southcentral Texas. I mean, on 1 November (yesterday), it was sunny and in the high 70s.

I am amused at how Amtrak's lackluster performance serves as a catalyst for some to believe a high-speed rail service is necessary. I guess politicians aren’t the only ones willing to toss away copious amounts of taxpayers’ money on wasteful and useless endeavors. High-speed rail is a “solution” to a problem that has already been solved by air transport. Building a huge, dedicated rail network (since the current one is being used to move freight across the nation and clearing it to run high-speed trains for a small number of commuters will have a drastic economic impact on the price of goods now moved by train) is not going to entice anyone away from the faster and cheaper air service already available; and it most certainly isn’t going to draw in those who are driving the routes it is going to serve. What will happen is millions of dollars will be wasted and it will end up like the current Amtrak system, overpriced and underutilized.

Honestly, does anyone actually believe there is a huge demand for commuter service between SA, Austin and DFW? What little there is is being well serviced by the airline industry, and the few that dream of being able to hop on the train to go shopping don’t justify the exorbitant cost of such a system. It is not a solution for the future traffic situation, if anything it will divert funds for programs that could address that problem and toss them into the money pit that will be high-speed rail.

So dream on, dreamers; the ground truth is that there is little chance if any of this ever happening. In case you hadn’t heard, all governments are cash-strapped at the moment and such endeavors are the target of cost reduction and not funding; so you might as well wish for flying cars (or flying monkeys for what it matters!) when it comes to the chances of this ever materializing. That’s just the reality of the situation…

Old 11-02-2010, 05:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
The only demographic I can honestly imagine that would be against a national rail system would be those who support big oil and do not want to hurt their profits regardless of the cost to the environment.

Now it seems the plans for this are going forward. Here is the latest.

Quote:
BROWNSVILLE — U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar balked when he looked at the Texas map for the national High-Speed Rail Strategic Plan and saw the farthest point south was San Antonio.

Cuellar on Monday said he had since passed through an amendment that adds the "wishbone" spindles to Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley to the "triangle" of Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and San Antonio-Austin.

“Some folks came to visit me asking for support for the high-speed rail.” Cuellar said. “And I said, ‘I don't see anything down here to the border area.' And they said, ‘Well, you're not part of the formula right now.' I said, ‘Well, we've got to make this part of the formula. The border's a fast-growing area.' ”

While the amendment to the 2008 measure calls for “a location in far south Texas,” Cuellar, whose district straddles Laredo and the western Valley, said his hopes are for depots in both population centers.

The High-Speed Rail Strategic Plan's website on Monday still showed rail lines ending in San Antonio, but Cuellar's office provided maps of the “wishbone” showing existing track he said could be upgraded.
Rep. seeks high-speed rail for Laredo and Valley too

Old 11-02-2010, 05:52 AM

You gotta be kidding me, there isn't enough demand for a high-speed rail between Houston, SA and DFW; and Cuellar wants to spend the money to lay track out to Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley?!?

Just another Democrat wanting to waste taxpayer money on useless initiatives just so he can claim to have done something for his constituents! "Some folks" asked him about it, so he pursues it; but has he even bothered to study the facts? There is no need for it, but he'll still tout it like there's no tomorrow.

Of course, he and many like him may be out of a job after today for just these types of idiotic comments!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,899,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
there isn't enough demand for a high-speed rail between Houston, SA and DFW;
Source for this statement?

BTW do you have any alternative solutions so we won't see double the amount of cars on the road in 2050? Or does this not concern anyone?

As we all know we are building for the future and it will take time.

EYE <3 TRAINZ!!!!

Last edited by Merovee; 11-02-2010 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM

After living outside that parking lot called Houston nearly 30 YEARS AGO I cannot imagine the kind of traffic it must have now, or having to prepare for in the next few decades.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Source for this statement?
It's non-existent, so there is no source. Better yet, I’d like to see a real source for the need for a high-speed rail! I am talking true research, not Cuellar saying “some folks” asked him about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
BTW do you have any alternative solutions so we won't see double the amount of cars on the road in 2050? Or does this not concern anyone?
Based on my past experiences in SA from just 20 years or so ago, it appears traffic has doubled here over the past two decades and while not perfect, the road structure has pretty much kept up. Sure, there are problems in some places; but for the most part the transportation networks will evolve as the population expands and such ridiculous ideas that a very expensive high-speed rail system will be the solution is myopic. Our current rail system has done little to alleviate the amount of vehicles on the road outside of hauling freight; how is this wondrous high-speed rail going to do it? The truth is that it won’t, and it already has become a money pit and continuing to throw money blindly at it when it could be better spent on more practical solutions to the problem!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,751,675 times
A succession of 50 cal. rounds fired in rapid order?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio