U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 AM

898 posts, read 1,244,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
San Antonio has an NBA team already.
Yeah, they play games now and everything!

Seriously though, we could support a major league baseball team, I hope we get one soon. The morons in city government need to get this football idea out of their heads and focus on baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,409,602 times
Henry Cisneros was the smart one who did that, idiot move by him.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM

18,603 posts, read 26,986,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Yeah, they play games now and everything!

Seriously though, we could support a major league baseball team, I hope we get one soon. The morons in city government need to get this football idea out of their heads and focus on baseball.
No. San Antonio is too small of a market to have MLB. You would be worse than KC.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Something you should read:

San Antonio in the NFL and MLB: Five Reasons Why it Will Eventually Happen | Bleacher Report

And I wouldn't call them the sheriffs. I would just go with the Missions or if you want to stay with the Spurs colors, you can call them the Armadillos.

By the way, where is River North?
A bleachers report article? Take those with a grain of salt.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,415,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. San Antonio is too small of a market to have MLB. You would be worse than KC.
This I take with a grain of salt. It will happen eventually.

KC and SA? Apples to Oranges.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,952,075 times
NO doubt SA will get a MLB team...SA + Austin is huge. However, it may take 10-20 years to make it happen...unless the universe enters into its expected heat death (the final expansion of the Big Bang model) in the next century.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 PM

927 posts, read 1,207,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

I think that San Antonio lacks a large enough DMA nor does it have enough collective disposable income to qualify for a MLB team at this time. However that doesn't mean the city couldn't be awarded a team down the road.

Anyway, the real prize for me would be an NFL franchise for the city. San Antonio has a larger DMA than several current NFL cities and has more than enough collective disposable income to support an NFL team 10 to 13 times per season. These numbers include any possible playoff games that would be played. And of course being a major tourist hub with all of its attractions would make San Antonio a natural to one day host a Superbowl.

Pursuing a MLB team at this time i feel would be a rather quixotic endeavor given the obstacles to obtaining one. But, going after an existing NFL team would be right in the city's wheelhouse and actually landing a team would have many, many benefits for the region. Having said this one cannot help but wonder if the Vikings and their owner Zygi Wilf are considering a move to San Antonio in 2012 considering all of the trouble they've been having securing financing from the legislature up there. It's a remote possibility but a possibility nonetheless.

Last edited by bresilhac; 01-01-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM

21 posts, read 33,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
A bleachers report article? Take those with a grain of salt.
Especially one written by somebody posting in this very thread about this very subject. Bleacher Report is nothing more than a blog, where people who should be working are instead wasting time at work writing inane opinion posts based on stream of consciousness thinking and a distinct lack of research. I would hold a forum post here at CD in higher esteem, but I digress.

Look, the NFL is not happening in San Antonio, and MLB is even less likely (if being less than 0% is possible in this scenario). San Antonio will always be among the "leverage" cities that are mentioned when somebody has a problem with their stadium (mostly due to the embarrasing conduct of city leadership when New Orleans was underwater), but when the cards are on the table, nobody is moving a franchise of either sport here. Go support UTSA, and call me back in 30 years.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

How is that apples to Oranges?
KC is the 31st largest market. SA is the 36th largest market. They are of similar size. Markets like KC struggles because they cannot financially compete with the big market or historical teams. SA lacks the population base to sell tickets for 81 games a year.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
Especially one written by somebody posting in this very thread about this very subject. Bleacher Report is nothing more than a blog, where people who should be working are instead wasting time at work writing inane opinion posts based on stream of consciousness thinking and a distinct lack of research. I would hold a forum post here at CD in higher esteem, but I digress.

Look, the NFL is not happening in San Antonio, and MLB is even less likely (if being less than 0% is possible in this scenario). San Antonio will always be among the "leverage" cities that are mentioned when somebody has a problem with their stadium (mostly due to the embarrasing conduct of city leadership when New Orleans was underwater), but when the cards are on the table, nobody is moving a franchise of either sport here. Go support UTSA, and call me back in 30 years.
Exactly. However, I do believe SA can support the NFL. Selling out 8 home games plus 2 preseason game is easier than selling out 81 home games with many of them being day games in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio