U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM

226 posts, read 820,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Look I've heard the San Antonio isn't good enough line for decades now and it's just alot of baloney. Especially now with all the recent growth the area has enjoyed. There are plenty of cities in the NFL and MLB that are smaller than SA and still manage to support major league sports. Kansas City, Cincinnati and Green Bay are good examples. The fact is San Antonio is in fact big enough and rich enough to support all three major leagues. To suggest that San Antonio does not have enough affluent people to be able to buy sports tickets is preposterous. This is a city of over 2 million people and not all of them are dirt poor as you suggest.

Imo MLB and NFL football would fly here wonderfully despite the heavy concentration of Dallas fans. Also, to suggest that no other team could make it in Texas because everyone is a Dallas fan is also a misnomer. I'm a football fan but I hate the Cowboys and I'm not the only around here who feels this way. There are plenty of fans who would relish the idea of an NFL team in San Antonio. So get out of that negative, inferior can't do thinking and start supporting the idea of pro-sports in San Antonio. SA is different place than it was just five years ago and is changing and growing fast.
San Antonio should save the money it would spend to lure an MLB team and use some of it to bring D1 football to town UTSA. I believe the city is going that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,405,343 times
Let's thank Henry Cisneros for his stupid idea not to make the dome configured for baseball.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

380 posts, read 1,165,813 times
MLB Team brings..... More People, More congestion, More problems....I would prefer to keep SA the quaint big city it is. Fix the infrastructure and stop the sprawling growth.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,414,143 times
for what you would have to spend on a new stadium, you could prob send every kid in SA to college for 4 yrs

then, do it again in 15 yrs when they want a newer stadium...

hmmm, college for all, or a sports team.

hmmmm.....

Old 11-07-2007, 03:48 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,863,338 times
Nobody is goint to bring or start a ML Sports team in SA just because SA needs one or wants one. They will do it if they think they can make money doing it. If anyone thought that could make money by bringing a professional sports team to SA they would have done it by now. When the time is right someone with enough money with a knack for making more will do it and they will do it whether the people of SA need it or want it or not.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,305,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Look I've heard the San Antonio isn't good enough line for decades now and it's just alot of baloney. Especially now with all the recent growth the area has enjoyed. There are plenty of cities in the NFL and MLB that are smaller than SA and still manage to support major league sports. Kansas City, Cincinnati and Green Bay are good examples. The fact is San Antonio is in fact big enough and rich enough to support all three major leagues. To suggest that San Antonio does not have enough affluent people to be able to buy sports tickets is preposterous. This is a city of over 2 million people and not all of them are dirt poor as you suggest.

Imo MLB and NFL football would fly here wonderfully despite the heavy concentration of Dallas fans. Also, to suggest that no other team could make it in Texas because everyone is a Dallas fan is also a misnomer. I'm a football fan but I hate the Cowboys and I'm not the only around here who feels this way. There are plenty of fans who would relish the idea of an NFL team in San Antonio. So get out of that negative, inferior can't do thinking and start supporting the idea of pro-sports in San Antonio. SA is different place than it was just five years ago and is changing and growing fast.
You hear what you want to hear. I never said SA wasn't good enough. I said that we weren't the big metro area that people think. People won't drive from Austin or Waco just because we have a MLB team. They'd have to have people driving in for 81 games a year. And about the smaller cities having successful teams, I said that it was true. However, they're storied franchises that have been there forever.

The Marlins example is a perfect example of what would happen in SA. And the comment about it being weird that they don't support baseball, even with a large Cuban population alludes to the fact that baseball is HUGE in Cuba. It's a source of national pride for them.

Stop taking everything so personally. It's not like I kicked your dog. I gave you valid reasoning for everything, but all you heard is "San Antonio will never get anything because we're the biggest bunch of sucks that ever sucked and we're too poor for anything because we suck so bad."

Not everyone's always going to agree with you.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Status: "Soon to be fifty years since moon landing." (set 5 days ago)

46,586 posts, read 36,845,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas here we come View Post
It would be awesome if MLB came to S.A.
Preferibly an American League team, so I could see my beloved Red Sox.
Agreed, THWC. The Astros already rule South Texas, so an AL team in SA would make the most sense.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Regardless. If they would put it in New Braunsfels and it be a National League team called the Texas somethings. Then it would attract SA and Austin people alike. Together we have almost 4 million.
It's highly unlikely, especially when you've got downtown SA to bring folks into. That'd be a great place to build. And I'm afraid we couldn't use the Texas ____ , since Arlington already has the Texas Rangers. But San Antonio could bring in a struggling team already playing. And an American League team would probably work better in SA than a National League team because the Astros have such a strong fan base in the SA area. If, however, MLB wants to expand again (IMO, it should), then San Antonio should be considered.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM

Never rule out SA for the future, you guys. As long as there's growth and people keep moving to the area, it will definitely add fuel to the fire of the Alamo City's quest for MLB in their city. There is plenty of opportunity and I think the area is ripe for an entry into MLB. City and metro growth are definite key elements into convincing baseball people to give SA a serious once-over. Now, we just have to see if the powers that be will give this place a chance.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
Hey, am I the only one that prefers to go to see a minor league team (the Missions) instead of major league? I used to live just outside of Baltimore, and it cost an arm and a leg to go see the Orioles (the team I grew up loving as a kid, as my Dad was from Baltimore and my uncle used to work at the stadium there). As much as Camden Yard is beautiful, I just never thought it was worth the price.

I love taking my son to the Missions' games, you are up close and personable with the game and players, it isn't too expensive, and a lot of fun! So, instead of wanting a MLB team, how about supporting the Missions? They were the 2007 Texas League Champions!!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio