U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM

13,743 posts, read 5,490,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I believe he pitched land sales in Timberwood Park.
That's what I thought, also...pitching land at Timberwood Park seemed to be the job to have in the 70s/80s with all the commercials on television and ads in the newspapers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,654,156 times
As an Orthodox Christian, I won't speak ill of the dead (didn't know he killed himself until I saw this thread). But my Church had some contact with him early in our inception when I was around 10 or so. These are the only facts I know:

1) he used to conduct some kind of dubious land sales that earned him the title of "a con-man".
2) he used to advertise his business on matchbook covers that he left in bars (I see nothing wrong with this, matchbook covers were a valid marketing tool in the 70's and early 80's)
3) He was a self-proclaimed bishop. Never went to seminary. Just woke up one day and declared himself an orthodox bishop. He finally got an obscure (I think Romanian) Orthodox sect to endorse him, but this violated the entire idea of Apostolic succesion which is key to both Orthodox and Catholic dogma.

However, I may know someone who knew him a little better. They used to be in the same scene in the 70's. I will try to track him down tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
RGJ

1,898 posts, read 2,638,474 times
I don't think they were dubious, just typical of the marketing of that era.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
I remember Sam Greene from the time I came to San Antonio about 30 years ago to the time he died. The monastery that he founded had so many visitors from Mexico and they left many beautiful items at the altar. The place itself was beautiful and the nuns who lived there and gave tours were very nice people. I believe they all transfered out. Unfortunately for Greene, he just could not pass up a chance to do something that was wrong. He was also charismatic, which made it easier for him.
There was a really nice nun there with cerebal palsy. I can't imagine her doing anything wrong.
I do remember he was quite the thief, took $500 from a friend of mine, many years before the monastery, and she was to come back the next day to pick up a couch. The next day the store was empty. I gave her all the info on where he was and she called and he dodged her until he finally told her he didn't have it. I told him he shouldn't be like that many times. He was a person I will always remember as someone who was handed so much and threw it all away

Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 301 times
Anyone who was around in the 1970s will remember S.H. Sam Greene. His TV ads were nonstop. I must admit it took a lot of courage to be a pitchman, since he had such a rotund figure (he did lose a lot of weight later on). This was the era of Lee Majors & Farah Fawcett-skinny was in fashion at the time.
I recall seeing him sitting down at the Aquarena parking lot during an early Chilimpiad. This was around 1972.
I always wondered what happened to the guy. Thanks for all the input.
Regards,
Douglas

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,421,487 times
Default S.A. Sam Greene,

I remember well the commercials hawking land sales in the Hill Country. Dad bought 3 acres
in a subdivision on the north side of F.M. 46 about 1/2 mile west of Smithson Valley Rd., way back in the spring of 1973 during that radio airwave onslaught of advertising. For $3000.00. Beautiful spot.
The small parcel is valued at $36,000.00 now.
GREEN might have been a crook , swindler and religious blowhard but the little land plot really has appreciated over the years.

Last edited by huckster; 03-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 PM

496 posts, read 380,112 times
Whispering Hills has lots valued at 40k per acre. I was looking at land out there in the mid-90's for half that much.

I grew up in D/FW, and we had a guy who pitched land sales up north of town in the country. Sounds like he could have been a brother of Sam Greene. I think most large cities had a guy like him on late night TV commercials.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 247 times
Yes, I knew him in the late '60's when he was running a commune/peanut farm out in the country near San Antonio; long time ago so I don't remember where but as I recall it was owned by a dentist. Wilson County? Does that make sense?

At the time he was ... presenting himself as a hippy/monk. Being a naive young boy (I was just 20 at the time), I didn't realize what was going on but years later, in the late '70's or early '80's I looked him up again and found him in a very upmarket 'gated' community, again somewhere on the outskirts of San Antonio where he had a "monastery" in an expensive mansion/villa/house. By then I'd been around a bit and knew more of what he was about and I recall there was a young man still living with him then who had been with him at the peanut farm; sorry, can't remember any names but this young man was - apparently - a master glazier doing wonderful stained glass work, judging from what I saw in the house.

Hope this is some help. I found you by trying to look him up again; out of curiosity. (I am not gay and was never molested. I suppose I probably wouldn't have recognized a subtle come on at the peanut farm, and was - still am - married happily to an Australian; back in the US for a few months from my home in NSW.)

Sam was slick back then - peanut farm days. (Must have been to con the dentist out of the use of the property - might have had something to do with the young hippy chicks running around the place.) But he seemed to be actually, someplace in his heart, religious - a failed monk; seemed being the operative word. And judging from the "monastery", he was a pretty good business man.

I think what was most striking was his physical transformation from obese at the farm to almost thin in our next encounter. I also recall that he was talking about starting a fat farm at the latter time so I guess he always had a commercial streak. Yes, he was slick.

So what's happened to him since? Is he still alive?

Again, this probably isn't what you were looking for but it's the best I can offer. I hope it helps.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 AM

15,921 posts, read 4,762,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pledge
So what's happened to him since? Is he still alive?
Below is an in depth web site that goes in to Sam Greene's past. Very interesting read.

POKROV.ORG :: A RESOURCE FOR SURVIVORS OF ABUSE IN THE ORTHODOX CHURCHES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio