U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:42 AM

739 posts, read 815,734 times

Advertisements

Oh I remember Sam Green from the tv ads and later the whole monastery thing. There's a road we used to take from Kendalia to Blanco.I'd have to look it up.The road comes out in the town of Blanco near the state park. I mention this because on your left before you hit the town there was a road which had a sign for the monastery. We never went there to see the Weeping Madonnabut I recall that from news paper articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie View Post
I'm researching Sam Green who developed/hawked real estate in SA in the 70s or 80s. I'm working on an article for publication. If you have any information/memories of him, or know anybody who knew him personally, please let me know. You can speak on background and off the record if necessary.

He was the purported ring leader of a group at a Blanco monastery in all sorts of trouble -- in jail -- for abusing young boys. Also, the "weeping" icon at the monastery was supposedly a fraud.

I'm trying to understand his early times in San Antonio -- apparently, he was quite the marketing genius, very charismatic and posed as a religious man to suit his purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

My Reply: This is probably far too late for your article. However, if it is of help, I knew Sam Green before he became a real estate developer. I lived on a hippie commune he had organized on a peanut farm in Wilson County in 1968 or '69. I saw him one time after that in about 1979 when he had the "monastery". (I had come back from an extended stay in Canada.) There was one young man there that I remembered from the farm. He had apparently become a stained glass artisan; a large piece of his was on display there... If I can be of any help don't hesitate to contact me.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 166 times
He got bit by a spider on his thang. It swelled up and he was admitted to Northeast Baptist hospital. He was out in the woods they said taking a dump. It was after his real estate days. He was communing out in the woods.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 76 times
I was acquainted with Sam Greene in 1968. In those days I going to San Antonio College and hanging out in an apartment building downtown; artists and hippie types lived there and Sam would occasionally stop in. At the time, he was involved with the city social services I believe. I don't know what his academic credentials were, but he gave input to social workers on matters pertaining to their caseloads. I recall that he was able to operate a vehicle that had a siren. I have no idea how he was able to work his magic and become influential with city social services in such a short time. At the end of 1968 I was drafted into the Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio