Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM

56 posts, read 117,911 times

Advertisements

Ive made deliveries there.. castles.. McCastles... but still right on top of one another.. if I had a fraction of that kinda money I'd have a modest home and some land, and not be so paranoid/self important as to think I needed friggin security guards. The rich baffle me.. such silly, and utterly irrelevant creatures. One day, maybe, we'll finally be allowed to eat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagandad View Post
ive made deliveries there.. Castles.. Mccastles... But still right on top of one another.. If i had a fraction of that kinda money i'd have a modest home and some land, and not be so paranoid/self important as to think i needed friggin security guards. The rich baffle me.. Such silly, and utterly irrelevant creatures. One day, maybe, we'll finally be allowed to eat them.
lmfao

Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
The rich baffle me.. such silly, and utterly irrelevant creatures. One day, maybe, we'll finally be allowed to eat them.
Except for the fact that you were delivering things to them, so they were obviously of use to you in your business. And your boss, who employs you, is probably one of them.

Class envy is sad.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Except for the fact that you were delivering things to them, so they were obviously of use to you in your business. And your boss, who employs you, is probably one of them.

Class envy is sad.
chill out dude. i think he was just joking....i think.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Yeah, I think he was being facetious.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
Ive made deliveries there.. castles.. McCastles... but still right on top of one another.. if I had a fraction of that kinda money I'd have a modest home and some land, and not be so paranoid/self important as to think I needed friggin security guards. The rich baffle me.. such silly, and utterly irrelevant creatures. One day, maybe, we'll finally be allowed to eat them.

Within a shred of each 'just joking' comment, there sits a fair amount of personal truth: This attitude is something I notice a LOT in this city... Class envy to a point of an 'us and them' mentality. What's most sad is that heavily within the San Antonio Hispanic community there seems to be a status-quo issue and the flabbergasting ideology that if something is 'good enough' then it's fine. I've seen many long for more, work for more and then get chastised by their friends and family for 'selling out' or 'going fancy.'

Idiotic to say the least. If you want to live at The Dom, then by all means do what makes you happy. Having been there numerous times, there are some very large, custom homes that have a certain appeal if that design aesthetic suits. What a lot of folks in town don't realize is that The Dominion really does try to have living spaces at a variety of price points. Lots of garden homes. A few condo-like residences too.

BN

Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
It's easier to sit back and make fun of those who have succeeded, or somehow make it THEIR fault that others haven't done so well. I do 60+ hours/week. Lots of friends do their 40 and call it "good enough"......then complain because they don't live as well as others.

meh....

Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,784 times
I find it funny that when someone values equality and contentment, they're labeled "idiotic." And it'd be nice if we really lived in a society (damn, a world) in which "to each his/her own" made sense, but the fact is that a good portion of those at the top of the food chain are actively steering public policy/government decisions in their direction (often using ill-gotten resources), which unfortunately hurts those at the bottom of the food chain. (See: recent meltdown, lack of reform of the financial sector, etc.--and yes, Obama is as much to blame for this as anyone else.) Sometimes--but not always--it really is a zero sum game.

I've been privileged with great opportunities in life, and so much of what I value and strive for cannot be measured in terms of $$$. I work more than 60 hrs/week, and my payoff is not in terms of cash. I think it'd be nice if more people in this world measured "success" in other than financial terms.

Thanks to Adam Smith and others (and yes, I've actually read "The Wealth of Nations" and many more free market manifestos in their entirety), those who live by greed and greed alone go to bed at night with the heartwarming belief that by striving only for their self-interest (measured, once again, in terms of cash), they are producing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Must feel nice to think that you can have your cake and eat it, too! (No matter what most of the great religious and moral traditions in the world have said about materialism, greed, self-interestedness, etc. etc. etc.)

So, to bring this back to SA a bit (as it is already woefully off topic): I actually don't mind living in a place where people aren't starving--and where they're working--but where they value family, free time, and recreation as much as "keeping up with the Joneses." There's a good side to that, in my opinion.

That's all I'm gonna say on this one. You can think my position is idiotic, but don't think I'm uninformed or instinctively resentful.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I find it funny that when someone values equality and contentment, they're labeled "idiotic." And it'd be nice if we really lived in a society (damn, a world) in which "to each his/her own" made sense, but the fact is that a good portion of those at the top of the food chain are actively steering public policy/government decisions in their direction (often using ill-gotten resources), which unfortunately hurts those at the bottom of the food chain. (See: recent meltdown, lack of reform of the financial sector, etc.--and yes, Obama is as much to blame for this as anyone else.) Sometimes--but not always--it really is a zero sum game.

I've been privileged with great opportunities in life, and so much of what I value and strive for cannot be measured in terms of $$$. I work more than 60 hrs/week, and my payoff is not in terms of cash. I think it'd be nice if more people in this world measured "success" in other than financial terms.

Thanks to Adam Smith and others (and yes, I've actually read "The Wealth of Nations" and many more free market manifestos in their entirety), those who live by greed and greed alone go to bed at night with the heartwarming belief that by striving only for their self-interest (measured, once again, in terms of cash), they are producing the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Must feel nice to think that you can have your cake and eat it, too! (No matter what most of the great religious and moral traditions in the world have said about materialism, greed, self-interestedness, etc. etc. etc.)

So, to bring this back to SA a bit (as it is already woefully off topic): I actually don't mind living in a place where people aren't starving--and where they're working--but where they value family, free time, and recreation as much as "keeping up with the Joneses." There's a good side to that, in my opinion.

That's all I'm gonna say on this one. You can think my position is idiotic, but don't think I'm uninformed or instinctively resentful.

Feel better now?

From the 'woefully off-topic files,' it appeared above as if you were clearing out some kind of blockage. You keep mentioning the term 'idiotic' as if I was referring to you or your point-of-view. I wasn't. Idiocy involves those who are happy with a life of unlived potential, openly know it and then try to bring others down to their level. That's a whole bucket of stupid and it was the main point to my post.

BN

Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
op:

yes, several times. i have a few clients that live in the dominion, but most ill go see at their offices or places of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio