U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 AM

616 posts, read 1,858,025 times

Advertisements

It's just another gated development. You'll find them in nearly every price range in San Antonio.

The clubhouse is nice, and I've been to a lot of pool parties there. The houses are not my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:02 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,194,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
I'm not sure, it's hard to explain. The luxury homes fascinate me. Also the fact that it's GATED. Makes me think of it as a pocket of rich folks.

I was driving around the area one day and looked at some houses at a Dominion [MINUS] subdivision. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a small development for mainly retired couples sprouting up next to the actual "Dominion".

Around me, all I could see were Lexus', Ferrari's, Porsche', and other luxury cars.

It just interests me the contrast between different sides of the town. From The Dominion to South San Antonio. It seems a little selfish and awkward to be living in the Dominion. Especially with all of the poverty around San Antonio.

That's just how I feel. Others probably do not have my feeling.
It's hard to explain!

By the way, I'm in San Antonio again as of the summer. I've lived here off and on over the years.
People work for it so they deserve to enjoy it, I live in a manned gated community and we have nice cars but does that make me a selfish person ??? I dont think so

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,269,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
I'm not sure, it's hard to explain. The luxury homes fascinate me. Also the fact that it's GATED. Makes me think of it as a pocket of rich folks.

I was driving around the area one day and looked at some houses at a Dominion [MINUS] subdivision. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a small development for mainly retired couples sprouting up next to the actual "Dominion".

Around me, all I could see were Lexus', Ferrari's, Porsche', and other luxury cars.

It just interests me the contrast between different sides of the town. From The Dominion to South San Antonio. It seems a little selfish and awkward to be living in the Dominion. Especially with all of the poverty around San Antonio.

That's just how I feel. Others probably do not have my feeling.
It's hard to explain!

By the way, I'm in San Antonio again as of the summer. I've lived here off and on over the years.
Actually San Antonio isn't even on the list any longer of 20 poorest cities or cities have the most poverty.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,236,774 times
While yes we have many people here living in poverty. We also have a lot that aren't poor at all. But you could not tell that from there house. (Look in the drive way and you will see how much money they have.) Honestly i don't really see that many run down areas if any outside 410.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 46,629 times
Default gated communities

I used to deliver goods to residents in the Dominion and know a couple of them(country music singer,basketball players etc) but to really learn about Texas gated properties you only need to visit one of the local Texas Dept Of Corections facilities that are spread around like cow ****.Thicker than flies on a cow turd,hotter than a blistered ***** in the summer time etc etc.
Ask any Texan-they will tell you!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM

149 posts, read 322,422 times
It's really quite disappointing when you're inside. From I-10 it looks fantastic, with a bunch of houses seemingly tucked into the hill country, but once you get inside you're immediately let down. The construction quality of the homes is horrendous, the landscaping is umipressive, and the general layout and feel of the neighborhood is poorly executed - it looks just like any other cookie cutter development.

In fact, you can't even tell you're in the hill country when you're up there. I'd stay away.

For construction quality, the Alamo Heights/Olmos Park/Terrell Hills area is the best San Antonio has to offer. Yes, it may look a bit Bohemian and natural, but defintely the homes there are of higher quality.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,987 times
My mom and dad knew people who moved to the dominion when it first was developed. All the couples they knew got a divorce within a year of living there. These were people who had been married more than 20 years. My mom and the ladies called it the curse and my mom refused to move there. Later, I had many friends who lived there. I was so glad that my parents didn't leave old SA for this ostentatious place. Plus, if the curse was true, they stayed married and are going on close to 60 years.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM

180 posts, read 804,432 times
its nbd. played tennis there. swam there. drove around and looked at houses. just nice house that are small some big.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 PM

470 posts, read 1,792,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abp32 View Post
My mom and dad knew people who moved to the dominion when it first was developed. All the couples they knew got a divorce within a year of living there. These were people who had been married more than 20 years. My mom and the ladies called it the curse and my mom refused to move there. Later, I had many friends who lived there. I was so glad that my parents didn't leave old SA for this ostentatious place. Plus, if the curse was true, they stayed married and are going on close to 60 years.
Or maybe it's just the love-of-money that is the curse.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 PM

37 posts, read 150,551 times
Smile Not Bad

I live there. There are very old house and are some very new houses. The older ones are in need of a lot of repair (think shag carpet and pink tubs). The news ones like the parade of homes are extreme with everything one can think of...two have pools inside and waterfalls that come from about 15 feet in the air to the pool. You really have a mixed bag of houses and lots sizes there. Not all nice and not all bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio