U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM

14,609 posts, read 31,118,712 times

Advertisements

That's awesome!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:35 PM

113 posts, read 391,241 times
An old thread brought back to life that I'm just now seeing....pretty good!

Back in the late 80's I attended a party at the house of a Physician I worked with who lived in the Dominion. Now he's not a flashy person at all, drives a chrysler van and his wife drives a honda. but his home was beautiful and it had a little walking trail behind it that led past the rear of David Robinson's gigantic beautiful home. Of course us "regular" folks wanted the doc to give us the tour so we all piled into his van and did the $2.00 tour of the area. I remember laughing saying they were going to stop us and question the rif-raf invading their turf.

One more thing --- the only reason the sports celebs are so highly paid is because there is a market for what they do and it pays them sweetly. Why knock them for being successful, WE created them by regarding them better than we do doctors, firemen, nurses and other who save lives.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,379,518 times
That also interest me, is there any history to the homes on Mockingbird Lane, Songbird Lane, Tupelo Road, or Chambers Road?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,703,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
That also interest me, is there any history to the homes on Mockingbird Lane, Songbird Lane, Tupelo Road, or Chambers Road?
I don't know about the history of the street names, but the very early development and plat shows the area was named "Albatross Heights". No signs of that name anywhere now. There has been a lot written about that area and Donore Place. Midget Mansion was at the corner of Donore and Tupelo. Some one on the Gone But Not Forgotten thread posted a picture of it.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM

50 posts, read 203,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouskitty207 View Post
my folks built a two-story house (with a fallout shelter!) in '60-61 on chambers. we moved in when i was 6. albatross heights was a wonderful place to grow up. the only way we knew it was named "albatross heights" was from a street map of S.A. from that time where the tiny letters, "ALBATROSS HEIGHTS" was printed across that area! its boundaries were fredericksburg, donore, tupelo, kinney road (now callaghan rd.). at that time, donore was at the city limit boundary of san antonio. funny, huh?

songbird lane came into existence around 1970 or later.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 7,035 times
I lived on Tupelo Lane. My mother and father bought the land from Mr. Peavy. Our house was built by Frank Reisnecker in 1959. The Sheerin's lived in a beautiful mansion on Donore in which high school students named:" Midget Mansion" after they moved out and sold the land. We had great fun with our neighbors on Chambers walking the streets on Mockingbird, Chambers and Pleasure Hill as well as Tupelo and Donore back then. No kidnappers around there. Anyway, they would have given us back to our parents!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 7,035 times
Mockingbirdhill: Why am I a junior member and you are befriend?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,162,453 times
Just the name "The Dominion" is a huge turn-off to me. Pretentious and superficial.

If I could afford it, I'd live in a fabulous historical home or find some land and build something.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM

50 posts, read 203,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine P. Schwope View Post
ha ha, i think everyone else in the forum appears to you as "befriend" so that you can click on that word, "befriend," to be their friend. i will "befriend" you!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:48 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,348,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine P. Schwope View Post
Good Afternoon -Are you any relation to the folks at H.W. Schwope and Sons in Boerne?

They are all a Great Group with a Fantastic Business Reputation. I have had the pleasure of working with them (SAWS) on many Water Well jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio