U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:18 PM

163 posts, read 266,658 times

Advertisements

Il-Song was very highly recommended to me as well... so I gave it two chances to impress me. While the service at Il-Song was very good, the food doesn't compare to Kiku Garden (Rittiman @ I35). Now if I can just convince them to open a Kiku near Stone Oak...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,090 times
how many koreans are there in san antonio?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:43 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
At least two Korean military officers are stationed at Lackland, as we saw two of them in uniform at the commissary this afternoon; and I saw one of them the other day at WalMart on Culebra/1604 (again in uniform)...

I work with a guy who is Korean, and another who is married to a Korean. I think most of the Koreans in San Antonio got here through the military...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-26-2008, 05:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
Which is the best Korean grocery store in San Antonio???

Also the largest Asian grocery store?? I have been told it is out near Ft Sam...but not been given a name to go and find it.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 AM

778 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
how many koreans are there in san antonio?
Apparently enough to build a Korean church near 1604 and Culebra. Like M2, I'm guessing a good number have some military connection. But I have also seen a heavy representation at Flea Markets in the area.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:00 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Which is the best Korean grocery store in San Antonio???

Also the largest Asian grocery store?? I have been told it is out near Ft Sam...but not been given a name to go and find it.

Thanks!
There used to be a small Asian (basically) grocery on north bound 410 access rd. north of Hwy.90 quite aways south of Marbach. You may have entered from a side street.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,339,010 times
That actually was owned by a dear friend of mine who has passed away. She was killed and her husband eventually died of injuries sustained in a car accident.

It has been closed for some time now.

I have found asian markets (Filipina Sari-Sari, Tim's Oriental) etc...but looking for Korean specificially. Heard there is suppose to be a very big one near Ft Sam...but have yet to locate it.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:46 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
That actually was owned by a dear friend of mine who has passed away. She was killed and her husband eventually died of injuries sustained in a car accident.

It has been closed for some time now.

I have found asian markets (Filipina Sari-Sari, Tim's Oriental) etc...but looking for Korean specificially. Heard there is suppose to be a very big one near Ft Sam...but have yet to locate it.
I'm sorry to here that. It has been a long time since I was in there. My sympathies.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:12 AM

116 posts, read 428,947 times
Yes, there's a large Korean market near fort sam, I think it's near rittiman and harry wurzbach. Not positive, the wife goes there, not me.

As far as the Korean officers, they're probably here for ELC, the English Language Course. It's taught on Lackland, idea being that if we're going to sell F-16s to another country, their pilots need to learn to fly them, and we don't teach flight school in other languages. So they come here to learn English, then off to flight school.

I'm sure there's other reasons, but that's how it was explained to me when I went thru it. (Waaay back when, we sent troops who were going to learn foreign languages to ELC just as a refresher.... so when you learned how to conjugate a part participle in another language, you remembered what the heck a past participle *was*!).

Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times
Probably right, but it isn't only for pilots; I don't recall seeing any wings on their uniforms but to be honest I am not sure if I would recognize South Korean pilot's wings in the first place!

I work with a few guys who have Korean wives, and also an Army LTC who is Korean. I will see what they know about the local Korean community. They did take us to a local Korean restaurant a few weeks ago for lunch that was really delicious. I believe it was on Marbach, inside 410 and behind a BBQ joint...but I don't see it listed on SA Eats Korean restaurant list (http://www.saeats.com/saeats/action/search/findByCuisine.do?cuisineCode=134 - broken link).

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio