Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM

340 posts, read 584,139 times

Advertisements

I think people are confusing fit with weight. This list isn't about body fat percentage. But cynics need only an inch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 AM

825 posts, read 1,030,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Well, it wasn't a survey per se. It was an analysis of what folks were posting:

Its calculations are based on user activity such as fitness-related status updates, gym check-ins, use of fitness apps, and fitness-related life events added to a person's timeline between January 1, 2013, and March 31, 2013 in cities with at least 200,000 Facebook users.

Although it's still anecdotal, it was a "blind" collection of data (those being surveyed didn't know) so it's also somewhat empirical. Like samvp said, it's no better or worse than other methodologies.
I disagree, it is a terrible methodology. The sample is pretty flawed, as facebook users are significantly different than non users in the sense that their lives are more public than non users. They're more 'vocal' online and not representative of the population at large.

Second, I absolutely reject the premise that talking about health and fitness is an indication of actual fitness. I see tons of fat people talking about their workouts, dietary changes, etc. as they try to improve themselves. Many are not successful, and thus still fat.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,958,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
That's about as incorrect as one gets. I know plenty of gym rats who check in on Facebook.

I guess I could make an incorrect generalization about the incorrect generalization you made but I won't.
Let me correct my statement. Myself and all my friends who workout on a regular basis do not check-in at the gym or post about going to the gym.

Sounds like you and ryne have very interesting who friends who post about the gym and check-in at the gym on a regular basis. Very exciting news!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM

4,427 posts, read 5,310,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Let me correct my statement. Myself and all my friends who workout on a regular basis do not check-in at the gym or post about going to the gym.

Sounds like you and ryne have very interesting who friends who post about the gym and check-in at the gym on a regular basis. Very exciting news!

I'd like to think of them as annoying friends!

Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,166,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I disagree, it is a terrible methodology. The sample is pretty flawed, as facebook users are significantly different than non users in the sense that their lives are more public than non users. They're more 'vocal' online and not representative of the population at large.
Even if that's true, that's not limited to San Antonio, so unless San Antonio has a higher percentage of residents overall that are on Facebook (not likely), then we don't gain an advantage that would skew the numbers for us. In other words, it's an even playing field for all cities.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM

BTW, this isn't the first time SA has been on a "fittest" list. Last year we were on Men's Fitness' fittest list (albeit in the last spot):
The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness - Page 2

Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Even if that's true, that's not limited to San Antonio, so unless San Antonio has a higher percentage of residents overall that are on Facebook (not likely), then we don't gain an advantage that would skew the numbers for us. In other words, it's an even playing field for all cities.
Actually no, I'd throw it out completely, as the results are meaningless.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Actually no, I'd throw it out completely, as the results are meaningless.
As are the results from pretty much all such lists.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,431,601 times
We ain't fat, we ain't nothin!

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Fat - YouTube

Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
As are the results from pretty much all such lists.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio