Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
That's why people live in Cibolo to get away from the urban sprawl and poor city planning. Just need to find a way to elect people in office that actually have an idea on how to grow smartly. You don't have to look far and see that there are good city govts out there, and San Antonio isn't one of them.
All the tract housing and bad traffic out in the Cibolo area indicate urban sprawl to me. I35 traffic between 1604 and 3009 has become horrible over the past 10 years and is only getting worse. Soon I35 will be a parking lot from 1604 to New Braunfels. That is one thing about buying a home where there is still a lot of development, you never know what will be built next to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,174 times
Default Walmart in Cibolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
I thought Cibolo and Schertz were neighborhoods? they are actual cities? psssshhh :0

Schertz and Cibolo have always been towns. Schertz was founded back in the 1840s or 50s and was known at one point as CutOff,because qwhen the Cibolo flooded the town was cut off,hence the name.
NOt sure how old Cibolo is,but it's pretty old. Cibolo is kind of land locked to the north as you have Schertz and also New Braunfels. Along FM1103 they keep building developments.
Don't know what Schertz worked out with Walmart.However, A lot of the growth is due to our late mayor,Hal Baldwin.He was a city counilman and business manager of the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD.
the local school district.Later he ran for mayor and won. Through his guidance we have the Schertz you see today. Now the City of Cibolo is scrAmbling like crazy to go and get a good tax base. They never really planned anything and just thought the town would just roll along as it has for 50 or more years.Well things change and I have no idea what they are going to do.Think it's a stupid idea on Walmart's part anyhow, as we have a SuperWalmart in Schertz,about 2 to 4 miles away.What if they do build the Cibolo Walmart?What's the corporation going to do if this thing doesn't generate the revenue the company counts on.If Walmart decides down the road to close the store due to lack of revenue,then Cibolo is stuck with an empty building not generating even the remoteist tax dollars.This needs to be addressed.GO TO THE NATIONAL MEDIA.SEND THIS IN TO 60MINUTES, or one of the other shows so they can do a story,especially after the deal with Washington DC. wanting Walmart to pay $12.00 an hour at the 3 stores planned for DC.Of course Walmart told them to stick it,and no stores.BUT IT MADE NATIONAL NEWS!!! Same could be done here.I already emailed Walmart Corporate.Never heard from them of course. Laying the ground work people.Maybe I need to contact the media myself.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,251 times
Quote:
That's why people live in Cibolo to get away from the urban sprawl
Cibolo IS urban sprawl.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,174 times
Cibolo along 1103 is getting that way.Now if you go to downtown Cibolo, the town is the same, but it's the outskirts that are getting crowded.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
BS they should have zoned it for residential knowing that it was across an elementary school and a few hundred homes. If they changed it from industrial, they just as easily could have changed it to residential. Then again if it was industrial, why in the world were people living on it? There were homes on it until the city tried to find big commercial to come in. If the city had any sense it could have been a nice field for parks. If a bond measure was put up to purchase the land to build ball parks, I guarantee it would pass!
If they had zoned it residential, then that would be a residential area next to an industrial area, which makes less sense than residential next to commercial. Typically, good planning guidelines are that residential areas should be buffered from industrial areas with commercial zones or, as you suggested, a park.

Quote:
Schertz on the other hand puts their wal mart on the otherside of I35 away from their residential area. Any decently run city recognizes the basics of city planning.....separate your commercial/industrial zones away from your residential areas.
Schertz didn't "put" their Wal-Mart anywhere. Wal-Mart doesn't come into a city and say, "hey, we want to open a store here-- where do you want us?" They do market research to see where the best location for a store is and then find a suitable parcel. Looking at a map, since they already have a location on I-35, they probably want to put their next store in that area closer to FM 78. The proposed location in Cibolo is right at 3 miles as-the-crow-flies from the location on FM 3009. That sounds close, but the new Wal-Mart on Foster Rd. is also just 3 miles from the location on FM 78.

One reason to have commercial zones near residential zones is to reduce the distance people have to travel to shop, thus reducing traffic. If you have all your commercial on one end of town and all your residential on the other, then people have to drive all way across town to do anything, which creates a lot of traffic on the road(s) that connect the two. Instead, it's better to intersperse commercial zones (appropriately) near residential areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
There are Wally World's directly next to and across from neighbourhoods and schools all over this city.
Yep. The new one in Helotes is across the street from Kuentz Elementary and O'Connor High Schools and about 350 feet from a subdivision.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM

226 posts, read 926,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Instead, it's better to intersperse commercial zones (appropriately) near residential areas.

Right on...180Ksf walmart right behind a subdivision ( probably less than 200') and across from an Elementary school is not smart planning. There is nothing wrong with small commercial development that can fill a niche, but not a 24/7 WalMart.

Quote:
Schertz didn't "put" their Wal-Mart anywhere. Wal-Mart doesn't come into a city and say, "hey, we want to open a store here-- where do you want us?" They do market research to see where the best location for a store is and then find a suitable parcel. Looking at a map, since they already have a location on I-35, they probably want to put their next store in that area closer to FM 78. The proposed location in Cibolo is right at 3 miles as-the-crow-flies from the location on FM 3009. That sounds close, but the new Wal-Mart on Foster Rd. is also just 3 miles from the location on FM 78.
City had to zone it? There is a reason you see all major commercial development on the opposite side of where Schertz has their residential areas. It just doesn't happen, it is planned.

When you mention driving across town...Cibolo isn't that big. It's a little over 7 miles from I-35 to I-10. Having MAJOR commercial development 1-2 miles away from your main residential areas is just common sense. Who wants to live and send their 5 year old to school RIGHT NEXT to a 180K SF Walmart? No one does! Poor city planning.

As far as the example of Wal Mart in Helotes, if that area isn't an example of poor planning I don't know what is. That Helotes area at 1604 is a traffic nightmare. How could they allow all that commercial development without doing a better job on road planning.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Right on...180Ksf walmart right behind a subdivision ( probably less than 200') and across from an Elementary school is not smart planning. There is nothing wrong with small commercial development that can fill a niche, but not a 24/7 WalMart.
Which is why I said "appropriately". You made a blanket statement about separating commercial zones from residential zones which is what I was refuting.

Quote:
City had to zone it? There is a reason you see all major commercial development on the opposite side of where Schertz has their residential areas. It just doesn't happen, it is planned.
Yes, and in Schertz' case, it works. But that kind of planning doesn't work in every city. You also need to look at the zoning and development patterns in adjacent areas since growth and traffic don't respect municipal boundaries.

Quote:
Who wants to live and send their 5 year old to school RIGHT NEXT to a 180K SF Walmart? No one does! Poor city planning.
I can understand why folks may not want to live next to a Wal-Mart, but what are the practical reasons you would care if a school was near one?

Quote:
As far as the example of Wal Mart in Helotes, if that area isn't an example of poor planning I don't know what is. That Helotes area at 1604 is a traffic nightmare. How could they allow all that commercial development without doing a better job on road planning.
First of all, the commercial areas around Loop 1604 and Bandera are in San Antonio, not Helotes. In any case, they're adjacent to two major, high-capacity highways. What more would you have them do?

BTW, I have a degree in Urban and Regional Planning.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM

226 posts, read 926,061 times
Quote:
I can understand why folks may not want to live next to a Wal-Mart, but what are the practical reasons you would care if a school was near one?

BTW, I have a degree in Urban and Regional Planning.
When you look at Cibolo, the SCUISD has done a good job of building small schools around residential areas. People want to live close to schools so that there kids can walk or it is a very short drive. When you have working parents, the proximity from home to schools are important.

Now you build a 180KSF Walmart across from the school/residential areas there will be 1000% more traffic, crime, and you take away from the residential aura and make it a 24/7 parking lot. Cibolo's household income is over $80K+. People move to Cibolo for peace and quiet.

The problem is that the current City leadership has forgotten why people move to Cibolo - peace and quite. City Govt. is interested in sales taxes to GROW government. Nothing wrong with this, but it needs to be done smartly or you will see housing values decline and with it the average household income.

Take for example Garden Ridge. The City has very strict building requirements. They have been able to successfully keep seclusion and in doing so keep up the property values. Who wants to buy a home in an area where their property values are going to decline?

Quote:
First of all, the commercial areas around Loop 1604 and Bandera are in San Antonio, not Helotes. In any case, they're adjacent to two major, high-capacity highways. What more would you have them do?
Another example of poor planning on the city of San Antoino. No wonder there is this growing max exodus to the suburbs. A city that is well managed will be able to control surburb growth and keep people in the city limits. When major commercial went up at 1604 in the Helotes area....on ramps to 1604 should have been built. Instead the city of San Antonio put in traffic lights or kept traffic lights.

Now if the intent of San Antonio was to bottleneck the Helotes area...then they were successful.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:31 AM

340 posts, read 586,207 times
Quote:
Another example of poor planning on the city of San Antoino. No wonder there is this growing max exodus to the suburbs. A city that is well managed will be able to control surburb growth and keep people in the city limits. When major commercial went up at 1604 in the Helotes area....on ramps to 1604 should have been built. Instead the city of San Antonio put in traffic lights or kept traffic lights.

Now if the intent of San Antonio was to bottleneck the Helotes area...then they were successful.

Another example of ignorance. But it's OK, because ignorance can be corrected.

The city of San Antonio doesn't build or maintain highways. That is the responsibility of TXDot, aka, a state agency. They are in charge of building on ramps to freeways. Not the city.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM

340 posts, read 586,207 times
Quote:
When you look at Cibolo, the SCUISD has done a good job of building small schools around residential areas. People want to live close to schools so that there kids can walk or it is a very short drive. When you have working parents, the proximity from home to schools are important.

Now you build a 180KSF Walmart across from the school/residential areas there will be 1000% more traffic, crime, and you take away from the residential aura and make it a 24/7 parking lot. Cibolo's household income is over $80K+. People move to Cibolo for peace and quiet.
I see you plucked a scary number from thin air. 1,000%!?!? Will someone think of the children!!?

Why exactly would crime increase with a new walmart? Are seedy people driving from lower income areas in San Antonio to go to this brand spanking new walmart?

If this were an HEB or Target, would you make the same claims?

Quote:
The problem is that the current City leadership has forgotten why people move to Cibolo - peace and quite. City Govt. is interested in sales taxes to GROW government. Nothing wrong with this, but it needs to be done smartly or you will see housing values decline and with it the average household income.
And a walmart will ruin that peace and quite? But more people (if say the land was used for residential development) wouldn't?

Btw, a study has shown that walmart increase home values.

The Wal-Mart effect on home values - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Take for example Garden Ridge. The City has very strict building requirements. They have been able to successfully keep seclusion and in doing so keep up the property values. Who wants to buy a home in an area where their property values are going to decline?
Um, Garden Ridge hasn't grown in size by 500% since 2000. When it does, then you can boast about their strict policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio