Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM

226 posts, read 922,820 times

Advertisements

Ok...I will eat some crow on bashing the city council....yes they did poorly plan commercial where Walmart plans to build. I guess none of them thought a 180KSF Walmart 24/7 Supercenter, with truck traffic from I35 through 3 miles of residential, would be built there. Other than a couple of yahoos on the council most of them recognize this is not the area to build a Walmart. In fact, at least one Council member is already trying to plan for the carcass of a building Walmart will eventually leave behind. He specifically mentioned this happening in Universal City. Walmart left and built by Rolling Oaks Mall.

City Council is working to mitigate possible impacts such as no truck traffic on certain roads etc. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens. Additionally, the city has been successful at least getting Walmart to update their facade. There will actually be some nice architectural changes to their typical box...metal curved roofs etc. I would like to think this was partially because of me. The Walmart now proposed looks like a very similar Walmart picture I sent City Council to consider. Moral of the story is to be engaged in your community, you can make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:52 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,409,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
I actually don't lived in the affected communities . However, it pisses me off that city government is so incompetent.
Then what concern of is it of yours? Why do you care about one store in a little nothing burb of San Antonio? It sound like you are one of those bizarre anticapitalist protestors.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM

340 posts, read 583,421 times
Quote:
Ok...I will eat some crow on bashing the city council....yes they did poorly plan commercial where Walmart plans to build. I guess none of them thought a 180KSF Walmart 24/7 Supercenter, with truck traffic from I35 through 3 miles of residential, would be built there. Other than a couple of yahoos on the council most of them recognize this is not the area to build a Walmart. In fact, at least one Council member is already trying to plan for the carcass of a building Walmart will eventually leave behind. He specifically mentioned this happening in Universal City. Walmart left and built by Rolling Oaks Mall.

City Council is working to mitigate possible impacts such as no truck traffic on certain roads etc. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens. Additionally, the city has been successful at least getting Walmart to update their facade. There will actually be some nice architectural changes to their typical box...metal curved roofs etc. I would like to think this was partially because of me. The Walmart now proposed looks like a very similar Walmart picture I sent City Council to consider. Moral of the story is to be engaged in your community, you can make a difference.
That's the standard new Walmart design. You did nothing to persuade Walmart. Seriously, how old are you?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Yes ignorance.... Let me correct you....TXDot Responsibility for PLANNING on ramps? Let me clarify.... there is something called an MPO and it is this agency that does the transportation planning for the roads around San Antonio. San Antonio has significant part to play in the determination of what gets built where.
The MPO isn't a city department. Again, this had nothing to do with the city. The city neither plans, designs or funds freeway construction.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I actually don't lived in the affected communities . However, it pisses me off that city government is so incompetent.
So you're just being a useless true who has no idea what they're talking while making things up (tax incentives, increased crime, lower property values) and just plain plagurizing websites or infor you pass off as your own writings (tax abatement). Pathetic

Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Then what concern of is it of yours? Why do you care about one store in a little nothing burb of San Antonio? It sound like you are one of those bizarre anticapitalist protestors.
Ok...let me clarify I don't live right next to the proposed Walmart, but I do live in Cibolo. So if my neighbors down the street property values go down....my property values also take a hit.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
That's the standard new Walmart design. You did nothing to persuade Walmart. Seriously, how old are you?
Wow I must have really hit a "nerve" with you! You obviously aren't very well educated on the subject. Walmart's first proposed plot plan to city council and the city showed the standard box design. I talked to a City Councilman and no one on the city council supported the design as planned. It was probably through on going negotiations and input from city residents that Walmart decided to build something more appealing. When you have a significant portions of the city residents against something, it does make a difference. I guess you are the type of person that lets everyone just walk over you. Who do you work for?

Last edited by joe123456; 07-19-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
The MPO isn't a city department. Again, this had nothing to do with the city. The city neither plans, designs or funds freeway construction.
Ok....let me educate you.....who do you think is on the MPO that decides where major road construction happens? Well how about some members of San Antonio City Council, Director of Planning City of San Antonio, Director of Public Works City of San Antnio, VIA Metropolitan Transit, VIA Metropolitan Transit. The technical advisory group to the MPO is made up of the Planning Manager City of San Antonio, Traffic Engineer City of San Antonio.

The city has nothing to do with road planning???? Use some common sense and see who the MPO is made up of. Gheee....

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Wow I must have really hit a "nerve" with you! You obviously aren't very well educated on the subject. Walmart's first proposed plot plan to city council and the city showed the standard box design. I talked to a City Councilman and no one on the city council supported the design as planned. It was probably through on going negotiations and input from city residents that Walmart decided to build something more appealing. When you have a significant portions of the city residents against something, it does make a difference. I guess you are the type of person that lets everyone just walk over you. Who do you work for?
Then I guess you sent a letter and picture to the Helotes city council because their Walmart has a similar design.

Oh, you didn't? That's strange. How about the city council in Sioux Falls, Iowa? Hmmm...

Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Ok....let me educate you.....who do you think is on the MPO that decides where major road construction happens? Well how about some members of San Antonio City Council, Director of Planning City of San Antonio, Director of Public Works City of San Antnio, VIA Metropolitan Transit, VIA Metropolitan Transit. The technical advisory group to the MPO is made up of the Planning Manager City of San Antonio, Traffic Engineer City of San Antonio.

The city has nothing to do with road planning???? Use some common sense and see who the MPO is made up of. Gheee....
Your argument is based in semantics, so much so it's hysterical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio