U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM

33 posts, read 106,111 times
Default Need help finding Authentic Mexican girls dress

My 7 year old has a renaissance fair coming up at her school where children are encouraged to dress similar to the curriculum they have been learning about all of which involves Incas,Mayans and Aztecs.

I am wanting to find a young girls dress and even though halloween just passed I cant find anything even close.

Please help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Status: "joined in 2014 ...knows first class flyer. ..hmmm" (set 3 days ago)

13,586 posts, read 21,238,656 times
Thanking God I have boys.............

Lospueblitos.com: Dresses For Girls

Again, I have boys, and I've never even heard of this place.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM

39 posts, read 224,225 times
Ok, I just moved here, so I will attempt to help. Try the "Marketplace"??? I think that's what it's called. It's near the downtown area. There's a restaurant there called La Margarita. There's an outdoor market with shops and restaurants, but you want to go to the inside portion. There are several little shops inside that sell Mexican dresses. PLEASE if it's not called the Marketplace - someone correct me!!
Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Status: "joined in 2014 ...knows first class flyer. ..hmmm" (set 3 days ago)

13,586 posts, read 21,238,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtoSA View Post
Ok, I just moved here, so I will attempt to help. Try the "Marketplace"??? I think that's what it's called. It's near the downtown area. There's a restaurant there called La Margarita. There's an outdoor market with shops and restaurants, but you want to go to the inside portion. There are several little shops inside that sell Mexican dresses. PLEASE if it's not called the Marketplace - someone correct me!!
Good luck!
La Villita?

D'oh! Market Square

Last edited by sapphire; 11-08-2007 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: had a brain fa#t

Old 11-08-2007, 08:46 PM

39 posts, read 224,225 times
YES! Market Square - that's it! Thanks Sapphire!!!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,828,485 times
El Mercado....downtown across the stree from Milam Park and Santa Rosa Hospital. Take the Market Street Exit going south on I-35. Turn left under I-35 on Market and it's right there on the left. Be sure and go in the little mini "mall" which is across the street from the quaint little shopping area. THAT's where you'll find tons of authentic Mexican EVERYTHING. It's wonderful. Do some shopping for yourself while you're there!

Good luck and tell us what you find!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM

8,298 posts, read 12,639,220 times
I would try Gibson Costume Shop off of Broadway first...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 PM

2,400 posts, read 4,350,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_sil View Post
My 7 year old has a renaissance fair coming up at her school where children are encouraged to dress similar to the curriculum they have been learning about all of which involves Incas,Mayans and Aztecs.

I am wanting to find a young girls dress and even though halloween just passed I cant find anything even close.

Please help.
A Mexican dress is not typical Inca/Maya/Aztec. You would probabaly do best to (brace yourself) "assemble" one. The Maya, Incas, and Aztecs were simple people. Except for the rulers/nobility, most wore simple cotton outfits.

(cut and pasted from Eric R. Harris, The costume of the Inca)

INCA WOMEN
Women wore a one-piece dress that combined skirt and blouse, reaching to the ankles and bound at the waist by a long, wide, woven, and ornamental sash. At the top, it reached to the neck, the upper edges fastened together over the shoulders by long pins and passing under the arms at the sides. Like all garments, this dress was a large rectangular piece of woven cloth, merely wound around the body. The analogue of the man's cloak was a large mantle, worn over the shoulders and fasted at the front with a large straight metal pin known as topo. These pins of copper, silver, or gold, have large heads of various types, sometimes in the form of animal or human figures, but most commonly ending in a large, thin, circular, or semicircular disk, the sharp edges of which could be used as a knife. The women wore sandals and head bands similar to the men's, and also a large piece of folded cloth on the head. They did not cut their hair but parted it in the middle and wore it hanging down the back; it was cut, however, as a sign of mourning.

Link to schoolchildren in Aztec costumes: http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/uploadimages/192_19_2.jpg (broken link)

Note, too, that a child could also have props: Aztez Calendar, etc.

HTH,
Pobre (teacher at a Core Knowledge school)

Old 11-10-2007, 08:51 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,828,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
A Mexican dress is not typical Inca/Maya/Aztec. You would probabaly do best to (brace yourself) "assemble" one. The Maya, Incas, and Aztecs were simple people. Except for the rulers/nobility, most wore simple cotton outfits.

(cut and pasted from Eric R. Harris, The costume of the Inca)

INCA WOMEN
Women wore a one-piece dress that combined skirt and blouse, reaching to the ankles and bound at the waist by a long, wide, woven, and ornamental sash. At the top, it reached to the neck, the upper edges fastened together over the shoulders by long pins and passing under the arms at the sides. Like all garments, this dress was a large rectangular piece of woven cloth, merely wound around the body. The analogue of the man's cloak was a large mantle, worn over the shoulders and fasted at the front with a large straight metal pin known as topo. These pins of copper, silver, or gold, have large heads of various types, sometimes in the form of animal or human figures, but most commonly ending in a large, thin, circular, or semicircular disk, the sharp edges of which could be used as a knife. The women wore sandals and head bands similar to the men's, and also a large piece of folded cloth on the head. They did not cut their hair but parted it in the middle and wore it hanging down the back; it was cut, however, as a sign of mourning.

Link to schoolchildren in Aztec costumes: http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/uploadimages/192_19_2.jpg (broken link)

Note, too, that a child could also have props: Aztez Calendar, etc.

HTH,
Pobre (teacher at a Core Knowledge school)
Pobre.....very good point! I'm glad you clarified that. I put many costumes together for my kids with large pieces of felt and strips of faux leather banding the waist. The royalty/nobilitiy might get a little expensive!
She still might find some things at El Mercado for props or accessories. There is still a lot of Aztec influence in some of the truly authentic Mexican heritage.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 AM

2,400 posts, read 4,350,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Pobre.....very good point! I'm glad you clarified that. I put many costumes together for my kids with large pieces of felt and strips of faux leather banding the waist. The royalty/nobilitiy might get a little expensive!
She still might find some things at El Mercado for props or accessories. There is still a lot of Aztec influence in some of the truly authentic Mexican heritage.
Thanks . Also, what confuses some is that the schools that study the Maya/Aztec/Inca are studying the time period before and up until the Spaniards came. Therefore, what we see as Mexican here has Spanish as well as Native Mexican Indian influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio