Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM

60 posts, read 79,729 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a 43 yr old single (divorced) woman with a 20 yr old daughter that is away at school. It is just too darn expensive here in So California and I want to get out. I am considering Austin and San Antonio, but am not really sure which would be better. I would like to be able to date a bit and have a social life, but not into going to bars all the time (did that when I was younger). I would love to be near good restaurants, walking/hiking trails, art galleries, etc. Ideally my rent would be less than $1000 per month for a 1 bedroom. (currently living in a tiny studio for $900) I would love to be in a small house if possible or at least yard space for my pup.

If you have lived in So CA or NoVA:
People from CA- I grew up in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach and currently live in Belmont Shore area of Long Beach.

VA people- I lived in Northern VA (Arlington) for a couple of years and loved it but it is also too expensive to consider going back. I lived off Lee Hwy close to the East Falls Church Metro and loved Alex. and the Shirlington areas.

Figured if I share what I am familiar with it may be helpful in providing ideas/differences in San Antonio and Austin.
Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,902,753 times
Both cities are great but your money will go a lot farther in Sa. I dont know of anyehere nice in austin proper for 1000 a month. Austin is very expensive. There are similarities but differences so it will depend on more details. I have heard that dating scene is not great for "older " people in Austin but that might be an over- generalization. I do think, having lived in both, you'd fare better in Sa (or Houston!) on that issue. It's bigger, more mixed ages population, etc

Old 07-14-2013, 02:26 AM

16 posts, read 27,137 times
Austin is more expensive, but a nicer city.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 AM

243 posts, read 333,559 times
I've lived in both locations and would suggest San Antonio if you want to get away from the California lifestyle. Austin is very restrictive in my opinion and more expensive. What kind of work do you do?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
If you liked California, move to Austin. It's where most Californians go.

If you want to get away from the Californian attitude, then San Antonio would be a better choice.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 AM

37 posts, read 51,831 times
not too many good jobs in San Antonio. lots of friends have been unsuccessful in finding something other than Walmart... lol

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

4,265 posts, read 8,167,247 times
I lived in Va Beach for a while.... Like others mentioned, your money will go farther down here. We are renting a 1500 (give or take) sq foot house with a small fenced in yard for 1100 a month... You could find something in your budget absolutely.

Job wise, it really depends what you do...

Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,720,216 times
I would say move to Austin.

I have nothing at all against San Antonio, but after 25+ years here, I dont get the draw. It's a nice city but If I had the chance to move anywhere, I dont think San Antonio would be in my top 50 choices. Nothing seems to stand out that makes me say "OMG I have to move there!!!"

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM

12 posts, read 16,380 times
Just as a cost comparison, Austin is much more expensive than San Antonio. Also, the housing market now in Austin is in a crazy buyers frenzy...not good for buyers.

I lived on the east coast in MD before I moved to TX, and I have visited Cali and LOVED it. I really enjoy being here in San Antonio. The city is so rich with history, always fun Festivals and events on the Riverwalk. The city of SA is easy to navigate too, Austin is a huge traffic jam every time I have to visit.

The bonus to both sides is that SA and Austin are only about an hour and a half apart so no matter which city you pick you can always play in both.
[Mod cut: advertising/promoting own business]
Have a great day!

Last edited by elnina; 07-16-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I would say move to Austin.

I have nothing at all against San Antonio, but after 25+ years here, I dont get the draw. It's a nice city but If I had the chance to move anywhere, I dont think San Antonio would be in my top 50 choices. Nothing seems to stand out that makes me say "OMG I have to move there!!!"
I would say the same thing about Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio