Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM

925 posts, read 1,219,208 times

Advertisements

http://www.thebavarianhaus.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 PM

925 posts, read 1,219,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeInSA View Post
SA has big MEXICAN influence...German, not so much. New Braunfels, Fredericksburg etc are authentic as are many others in the Hill Country.
Well actually, it's Spanish influence not Mexican as the first settlers (aside from the native Americans) in San Antonio were from Spain. And there's nothing really "Mexican" about all the Tex-Mex restaurants scattered around the city. Yes there are plenty of authentic Mexican restaurants but for the most part SA is big on Tex-Mex.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 AM

2,437 posts, read 6,997,110 times
Sorry to hear about the Friesenhaus. After my debacle with the wurst salat.. I know I wont be back either. Just was not worth my trip to New Braunfels to get bad food (what I percieve to be bad as I lived in Germany many years). Has anyone been out to the one in Walburg. I am willing to take a trip out there provided the food is okay. I will pay a good price for a good meal provided it tastes good and worth that trip!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM

38 posts, read 113,436 times
Default Schilo's and Beethoven Maenechor

Schilo's is great German, and for a stangely authentic (in a good way) German beer hall the Beethoven Maenechor on Pereida at S. Alamo in King William is a great place on weekend nights.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,921,024 times
I would consider Shilo's to be a good German restuarant for Texas; but compared to actual Gasthaus food in Germany it is only average at best. Same for Friesenhaus. I seriously doubt I will ever find great German food outside of Germany, it is one of the reasons I try to get back there at least once a year. Having been born, raised and lived there, I have been "spoiled" to being able to get great authentic schnitzel or sauerbraten almost anywhere. Every village will have at least one gasthaus that serves food and drinks, and it is almost guaranteed that both will be excellent.

Ah, I guess the best I can hope for is better-than-good German food. I am hoping the Bavarian Haus will be it, as so far all I have been able to find is "good" German food.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-25-2007, 09:56 AM

To get authentic German food like in Germany would not happen. First off, you can not find all of the ingredients that are used in Germany. There are a lot of stores that will not carry it due to the fact.. who uses them? If they dont move fast then they dont buy them and unfortunatly that means a lot of German Food is cooked using different items to make em. Also if you were to use Veal for the Schnitzel instead of the pork.. then that would jack up the price even more and I know that in the states that if the price isnt right .. no one would go to the German Restaraunts. Everyone is used to eating at the local taco house for a buck 99 and are shocked when they walk away with a ticket of $10 for one meal. Here is an example of a price that I dont think anyone would pay for a schnitzel. Due to the fact that it is $23.00 for one person to eat a schnitzel. I am not sure what they are charging in some of these other restaraunts but I know that the one in Fredericksburg is right around this area:
http://www.old-europe.com/menu_dinner.html

Old 12-25-2007, 10:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,921,024 times
Wiener schnitzel is really quite a simple recipe. It's pork or veal coated in egg and breadcrumbs, but like any of the world's greatest dishes, it's all in the cooking. The secret of schnitzel is in the heat of the oils. There are two pans at different temperatures to cook the schnitzels quickly. In fact, each schnitzel is cooked and ready to be served in eighteen seconds flat. That according to one of the best schnitzel restaurants in the world, Figlmüllers, located right in the center of Vienna next to St. Stephans church at Wollzeile No. 5. It is a recipe that most any German gasthaus can replicate, and have. The hardest part if finding a good pork or veal cut that is thin enough. It is not that tough, and I don't think the ingredients would be that hard to come by.

Cheers! M2

Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 AM

546 posts, read 3,098,608 times
Thank goodness my grandmother is from Germany (she forget how to speak it though, they literally beat it out of her in the 1920's, along with her 12 siblings! Evidentally this was common back then as they wanted the children to acclimate into American society) and still remembers how to cook a few German dishes. I LOVE her Leberkäse!

Old 12-25-2007, 04:35 PM

51 posts, read 126,290 times
I am German and although we haven't been to the Bavarian Haus in a while, it was very good and authentic when we did go. I'd definitely recommend it.
Old World German Restaurant - not so much.
I've heard mixed reviews from the Friesenhaus (from fellow Germans) - good one visit, not so great the next.

What really cracked me up is that the WienerSchnitzel chain is listed as German food. I don't see anything German there besides the name and the sauerkraut. I sure hope the average American doesn't fall for that...

Old 12-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Major, If all it took was the wiener schnitzel and it was that easy... you wouldnt be writing the reviews that you are writing.. Obviously it takes more then what you are saying.. Eggs, Milk and Breading.. I wish it were that easy.. The schnitzel is one part of it.. but what about everything else that compliments the meal? All of it combined makes the meal. So with that said.. You wont get the authentic meal that you get in Germany. The ingredients can not be found in the states (some of them). So the next best thing is to get to somewhere where it is real durn close..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio