U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 PM

8,282 posts, read 12,236,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabseH View Post
No. Putting Sauerkraut on something does not make it German. Ask a German about a Reuben sandwich and they will look like your smiley: (unless they've been to the US, of course.) It's kinda like German Chocolate Cake. Nothing German about it.
Kinda reminds me of a funny story from when we were stationed in Germany. A buddy of mine had a pair of dachshunds and thoght that since the name was derived from the German words for "badger dog" (badger = der Dachs, and dog = der Hund) the breed being traditionally viewed as a symbol of Germany that all the Germans would know what he meant when he told them what breed of dog he had. But in Germany they are known as 'Dackels' or 'Teckels' if they are trained to hunt.

Just another bit of cultural confusion, like asking for French fries in France! Not only are they known as pomme frites (oddly enough, pomme really means 'apple;' but the full name is pomme de terre, or 'apples of the earth'), in France pomme frites (a.k.a. French fires) are often thought of as being Belgian. The Dutch call them Vlaamse frieten ('Flemish fries,' with Flanders being the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium).

Cheers! M2
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM

51 posts, read 81,159 times
Quote:
majormadmax
Kinda reminds me of a funny story from when we were stationed in Germany. A buddy of mine had a pair of dachshunds and thoght that since the name was derived from the German words for "badger dog" (badger = der Dachs, and dog = der Hund) the breed being traditionally viewed as a symbol of Germany that all the Germans would know what he meant when he told them what breed of dog he had. But in Germany they are known as 'Dackels' or 'Teckels' if they are trained to hunt.
Hmm. Maybe it's a regional thing, but Dachshund is a common name for them where I come from (Nuernberg, Franconia/Northern Bavaria). Dackel is just shorter ;-) And Dachshund is not easy to pronounce, maybe they just didn't understand your friend <g>.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 AM

2,169 posts, read 4,412,152 times
Yes, in Southern Bavaria it was also used as a shorter version versus just calling them a dachshund. Most people did use Dackel but probably because they didnt want to say Dachshund.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 PM

3,177 posts, read 3,486,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Yes, in Southern Bavaria it was also used as a shorter version versus just calling them a dachshund. Most people did use Dackel but probably because they didnt want to say Dachshund.

Verrrryyyy interesting!:-)

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 20,321 times
Alright here a bit more cultural confusion or clearing everything up the region I am from we call Potatoes (Erdaepfel) erd = earth, aepfel =appel so does that make sence to you about where the heck they came up with all the word jams?
Oh and where I come from they also call the Dachshund Dackel so I guess it might be a region thing or the people out of the region I am originally from (Frankfurt Area) they just don't know the word Dachshund or think it is a different bread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 AM

Sabine

I think you meant 'breed'...

In Belgium the Walloons (French-speakers) also called potatoes pomme de terre, or 'apples of the earth;' but I thought the word 'kartofel' was more common in Germany. I was born in Frankfurt and lived down in the Kaiserslautern area, and to be honest I don't recall ever hearing the term 'erdaepfel'...but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a local colloqualism...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 16,895 times
Default German Food

Highly recommend the Walburg Restaurant. We live in the SA area and make a day of it around Austin/hill country, then eat at Walburg in the evening. Sometimes we even get a motel room in Georgetown for the night. Great food and a biergarten with their house band. Good fun. You can order from the menu, buffet (certain days/times), or quick food from the biergarten. We've done all three. Suggest you order off the menu the first time. That was the best meal we had, but we've had the buffet numerous other times. Man, we need to get back up there soon. I talked myself into it!

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/

Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 AM

3,177 posts, read 3,486,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZerpTex View Post
Highly recommend the Walburg Restaurant. We live in the SA area and make a day of it around Austin/hill country, then eat at Walburg in the evening. Sometimes we even get a motel room in Georgetown for the night. Great food and a biergarten with their house band. Good fun. You can order from the menu, buffet (certain days/times), or quick food from the biergarten. We've done all three. Suggest you order off the menu the first time. That was the best meal we had, but we've had the buffet numerous other times. Man, we need to get back up there soon. I talked myself into it!

http://www.walburgrestaurant.com/
Thanks for the recommendation! It sure sucks living in Los Angeles. So very few German restaurants here.:-(

Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM

2,169 posts, read 4,412,152 times
Do you know if the Walburg Boys perform up there? I know one of them owns that restaurant.. but not sure if they peformed at their own restaurant.. it would be worth the drive to go up there and drink some beer and listen to him yodel.. that dude is awesome!!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM

My mother, uncle and aunt are in town; and we drove up to Fredericksburg today. While walking around looking for a place to eat, we ended up going to the Auslander Biergarten and Restaurant. Despite having just been in Germany, and going back again this Saturday, I had to try the wienerschnitzel; and to my surprise, it was pretty good! Now, it was a pork cutlet and small compared to most schnitzels I get in Germany, but at least it was cooked correctly. I had the hot potato salad and red cabbage, as well as a salad, for sides and although the salad wasn't like the kind you get in yoru typical gasthaus, it was good. The potato salad and red cabbage were very good although both were a bit too strong for my tastes. They also have a great beer selection.

Service was a bit slow but if you have ever been to a German restaurant that is typical. Also, for some reason we could only get Diet Coke from the bar, whcih costs $3.50...that was a major strike against the place. I couldn't understand what the situation was, as my uncle ordered it, but a can of Diet Coke costing that much is a serious rip-off!

But overall the food was good and price reasonable (five adults and two kids ate for less than $70, and I had the most expensive item at $13). The outdoor seating was too hot even under the lattice work and smoking areas are larger than the non-smoking (there is no non-smoking eating area outside). I would definitely recommend it if you are in the area and hungry for German food. Just don't order a Diet Coke!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio