Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:44 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times

Advertisements

I know it's not a San Antonio question, technically. Sorry!!

There's a dry cleaning place nearby that I occasionally take items to.. almost always items I plan to sell on eBay. So, I took this suit in on Tuesday. Was supposed to be done Wednesday. It wasn't there when I went to retrieve it so they asked me to come back Thursday, and still no suit. This morning they admitted they couldn't find it, and they were "searching". They actually said that if they didn't find it they'd "have to pay me" and gave me a claim form and asked me to return next week.

I have never had anything like this happen and despite having worked at various dry cleaning places all through high school and beyond, I am clueless as to what to expect.

I'm wondering exactly how they'll be "compensating" me. There were no signs up about lost items (that I saw) and I didn't sign a waiver.... and the thing is, this suit WAS intended for resale on eBay, and would have brought me about $200 or so (as a used/gently worn item). Original price (new) is $1200 ...... it's not like it was something from my own work wardrobe that I could replace for under $50.00. (most of my clothes are thrift finds and could be replaced for about $15, actually!)

Anyone think they'll cough up a couple hundred bucks since that's what I'd have to pay to replace it USED? I'm upset about the loss of income potential here. This item is very hard to find and it's not like I can just go out and get another for what I paid for it.

Of course I hadn't taken pictures yet so that stinks. All I have is my WORD as to the brand and style and such. It's the label that makes it so pricey. All that is written on my dry cleaning paper is "Ladies 2 piece black suit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I'm reminded of the story of the man who had a pair of pants lost at the cleaners. He was a lawyer, so he filed suit for a large amount of money. The case got wide spread publicity and in the end, the case was thrown out. Then the cleaners found the pants.
The cleaners lost a set of sheets of mine. Egyptian cotton that have to be ironed. so I take em to the laundry and they do em. They are $300.00 sets of sheets. Well one week, they lost one set of them. I told them to keep looking and about 3 weeks later, the sheets were found. They had told me to give them a value. I did tell them I paid alot for them and showed them an ad for them. Of course, I waited and they found the sheets. It took about 3 weeks.
They didn't flinch when I told them what I pay for them, so maybe if you can show them what it was with a picture or proof of how expensive the item is, they will pay up, or search harder and find it.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,459 times
And show up wearing a suit. A nice one.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:47 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
And show up wearing a suit. A nice one.

Haa haa.. yeah that will help out... but on the other hand.. I had a shirt lost one time.. brand new... showed them the purchase price and they gave me less... I was going to haggle over it but said what the heck... wasnt worth the 5 bucks they shorted me on the value of the shirt.

I think if you have what it was worth and show it.. and ask for much less.. 200 is doable..

Old 08-30-2008, 12:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I know it's not a San Antonio question, technically. Sorry!!

There's a dry cleaning place nearby that I occasionally take items to.. almost always items I plan to sell on eBay. So, I took this suit in on Tuesday. Was supposed to be done Wednesday. It wasn't there when I went to retrieve it so they asked me to come back Thursday, and still no suit. This morning they admitted they couldn't find it, and they were "searching". They actually said that if they didn't find it they'd "have to pay me" and gave me a claim form and asked me to return next week.

I have never had anything like this happen and despite having worked at various dry cleaning places all through high school and beyond, I am clueless as to what to expect.

I'm wondering exactly how they'll be "compensating" me. There were no signs up about lost items (that I saw) and I didn't sign a waiver.... and the thing is, this suit WAS intended for resale on eBay, and would have brought me about $200 or so (as a used/gently worn item). Original price (new) is $1200 ...... it's not like it was something from my own work wardrobe that I could replace for under $50.00. (most of my clothes are thrift finds and could be replaced for about $15, actually!)

Anyone think they'll cough up a couple hundred bucks since that's what I'd have to pay to replace it USED? I'm upset about the loss of income potential here. This item is very hard to find and it's not like I can just go out and get another for what I paid for it.

Of course I hadn't taken pictures yet so that stinks. All I have is my WORD as to the brand and style and such. It's the label that makes it so pricey. All that is written on my dry cleaning paper is "Ladies 2 piece black suit".
Good luck....I hate when things like this happen. Good advice above. It will be interesting to see what they offer for it. I agree...go in dressed to the "nines" when you go back for a claim dispute. It does suck that you may have lost potential money....but don't expect to get that. If you come out of this with more than you actually paid for it used, then you're really ahead. If they pay you more then you actually didn't lose anything.

At least it's a good sign that they offered to pay for it before you asked.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
did you get your suit back?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I'm reminded of the story of the man who had a pair of pants lost at the cleaners. He was a lawyer, so he filed suit for a large amount of money. The case got wide spread publicity and in the end, the case was thrown out. Then the cleaners found the pants.
The cleaners lost a set of sheets of mine. Egyptian cotton that have to be ironed. so I take em to the laundry and they do em. They are $300.00 sets of sheets. Well one week, they lost one set of them. I told them to keep looking and about 3 weeks later, the sheets were found. They had told me to give them a value. I did tell them I paid alot for them and showed them an ad for them. Of course, I waited and they found the sheets. It took about 3 weeks.
They didn't flinch when I told them what I pay for them, so maybe if you can show them what it was with a picture or proof of how expensive the item is, they will pay up, or search harder and find it.
Close, but he was a Judge,
Judge Suing Dry Cleaner For $54 Million Cries In Court
"Before trial began yesterday in the case of the D.C. judge who sued his neighborhood dry cleaners after they lost his pants, the most extraordinary fact was Roy Pearson's demand for $65 million in damages."

Old 08-30-2008, 05:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Close, but he was a Judge,
Judge Suing Dry Cleaner For $54 Million Cries In Court
"Before trial began yesterday in the case of the D.C. judge who sued his neighborhood dry cleaners after they lost his pants, the most extraordinary fact was Roy Pearson's demand for $65 million in damages."
That makes it even more disgusting, that he was a judge. Stuff like that nauseates me. I just want what it's worth used!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
That makes it even more disgusting, that he was a judge. Stuff like that nauseates me. I just want what it's worth used!
Do you have any way of proving at least what it is worth. I realize you are more interested in Potential income lost, and that is important to you, so can you come up with a picture or something of a comparable suit. Maybe if you show that to the Drycleaner, and let them know that you are seeking a larger amount than say, $50, the suit might just, miraculously get found. Also at least what you paid for it would be helpful to recoup what you have lost, as a last resort.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 83,761 times
Garments lose value over time just like everything else that get used. You can go to International Fabricare Institute and they have a table of values of garments and useful life of garments which is used by the insurance companies as well as cleaners.

Good Luck.

If they are reputable and you are a good customer, we cleaner will pay above what the insurance will say its worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio