Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
It just goes back to what you personally want out of life. Some prefer to go to work and get paid to train while others go on to collage and pay them to get trained. Either way can lead to a very successful life. My only problem with some educated people and companies who will not even consider experience as an equal to a degree in some cases is the way they look down their noses at those that did not go to collage as some how being inferior even though they might be more qualified for the job. It's like they resent the fact that you can do the same job that they spent four years and thousand of dollars training to do.
And I experienced it the opposite way. I feel you though. collegecan be a double edged sword at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:30 PM

243 posts, read 333,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And I experienced it the opposite way. I feel you though. collegecan be a double edged sword at some point.
I agree with you it can be the other way also. Some resent collage education people also.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Except for those that cannot afford one...
EVERYONE can afford community college. dont give me that BS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Too bad some of those higher educated people are no better off than when they left high school. A great education does not automatically mean a person is smarter or even wiser than the one who does not have it and to claim otherwise would just prove my point.
oh come on! get off your high horse! no one said a higher education means youre smarter or wiser. YOU did. get that chip off yer shoulder!

Quote:
There's only so many of those to go around, which means only the top so many can do it. Which means a lot of people, no matter how hard they work are getting left out or left with a lot of debt.
wow. so many excuses for being lazy. people dont understand that just HAVING a degree opens up a world of possibilities and it doesnt take sacrificing your arm, legs and maybe first born to get one.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM

243 posts, read 333,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post

oh come on! get off your high horse! no one said a higher education means youre smarter or wiser. YOU did. get that chip off yer shoulder!

wow. so many excuses for being lazy. people dont understand that just HAVING a degree opens up a world of possibilities and it doesnt take sacrificing your arm, legs and maybe first born to get one.
[Mod cut: rude]You should go talk to the thousands of collage grads working fast food because they don't have any skills and are really depressed since they were told that their degree would open up a world of possibilities for them.
As far as that chip on my shoulder of which you spoke. My statement comes from personal experience of having people with and without degrees working under me, so where does your vast knowledge come from?

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2013 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post

That's just not even close to being true for nearly everyone. A college education is obtainable for more people than ever, but to claim anyone can get or afford one is just not accurate. Does anyone consider a two year degree an actual degree anymore? Everything I see is asking for four year degrees.

Just to be clear, by afford one, I mean get one without having to take several years to pay it off. Colleges are happy to get people loans for college, and it's not hard at all to get them. What does community college cost now? A minimum of $4K a semester? That's $16K just to get a 2 year degree. How long is that going to take to pay off working at a call center?

Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 PM

161 posts, read 227,037 times
How about requiring more of yourself in HIGH SCHOOL? How about not dropping out, having kids, skipping class, drinking, etc. and studying hard so you can get scholarships?
College is possible for anyone who is willing to WORK HARD for it. It's all about choices and priorities. Don't waste time whining about how it's not attainable, because it is.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
How about not everyone is perfect. How about people make poor decisions in their life sometimes. How about kids are prone to do dumb things because they can't foresee the consequences?

I guess they should all be screwed because they might not have done everything they were supposed to in school?

Besides, if everyone got straight A's in high school, they'd still have to pick and choose who was getting the scholarships. Then what happens to the 90% or whatever that's left?

I've never said a college degree wasn't obtainable. They make it easy to get student loans. I'm saying it's not realistic or smart for many people.

Keep on thinking everyone who didn't have your opportunities should be screwed though.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger428 View Post
How about requiring more of yourself in HIGH SCHOOL? How about not dropping out, having kids, skipping class, drinking, etc. and studying hard so you can get scholarships?
College is possible for anyone who is willing to WORK HARD for it. It's all about choices and priorities. Don't waste time whining about how it's not attainable, because it is.
Are you for real??? I just love the way you throw around words like everyone and anyone. Not everyone is dropping out and having kids just like not anyone can afford even a two year degree. More yes, everyone, no.

Stop being so rude.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Are you for real??? I just love the way you throw around words like everyone and anyone. Not everyone is dropping out and having kids just like not anyone can afford even a two year degree. More yes, everyone, no.

Stop being so rude.
Any one can afford SAC, one class at a time. You don't need to take a full class load. Yes it will take a LONG LONG time to get that degree, but at least you are working towards SOMETHING.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
That's just not even close to being true for nearly everyone. A college education is obtainable for more people than ever, but to claim anyone can get or afford one is just not accurate. Does anyone consider a two year degree an actual degree anymore? Everything I see is asking for four year degrees.

Just to be clear, by afford one, I mean get one without having to take several years to pay it off. Colleges are happy to get people loans for college, and it's not hard at all to get them. What does community college cost now? A minimum of $4K a semester? That's $16K just to get a 2 year degree. How long is that going to take to pay off working at a call center?
The Alamo Community Colleges are about $2k per year. They also offer a lot of online, weekend, and evening courses making it easier for students to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio