Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM

161 posts, read 227,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Are you for real??? I just love the way you throw around words like everyone and anyone. Not everyone is dropping out and having kids just like not anyone can afford even a two year degree. More yes, everyone, no.

Stop being so rude.
Maybe YOU need a reading comprehension class at one of the local schools. I did NOT say "everyone" is dropping out.
The FACTS are the drop-out rate in San Antonio IS pathetic . If that hits a sore spot with you, it's not my problem. Maybe you have regrets of your own; I don't know.
I'm just sick of people playing the victim role. If you want college in the United States of America, there are ways to go.
I don't buy that you can't afford it. That is a load of bull! You can't afford NOT to have it, these days or else you will end up sitting around whining and bitter at those who required more of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM

161 posts, read 227,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
How about not everyone is perfect. How about people make poor decisions in their life sometimes. How about kids are prone to do dumb things because they can't foresee the consequences?

I guess they should all be screwed because they might not have done everything they were supposed to in school?

Besides, if everyone got straight A's in high school, they'd still have to pick and choose who was getting the scholarships. Then what happens to the 90% or whatever that's left?

I've never said a college degree wasn't obtainable. They make it easy to get student loans. I'm saying it's not realistic or smart for many people.

Keep on thinking everyone who didn't have your opportunities should be screwed though.

What exactly are MY opportunities and who did I say should be screwed? I'll be waiting...

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM

336 posts, read 484,010 times
Those who say it's 'not possible' or haven't been given the 'opportunity' are those who wouldn't do well even if they were handed everything they rally against. It's working class, chip-on-shoulder mentality and it's what keeps San Antonio LAME. Get over it, get an education and make something of yourself. That's life. Bottom line.

I have my education (full scholarship, thank you), my graduate degree and a great job. I worked my butt off for the success I've had. ANYONE can do it... You just need drive.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 PM

243 posts, read 333,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Those who say it's 'not possible' or haven't been given the 'opportunity' are those who wouldn't do well even if they were handed everything they rally against. It's working class, chip-on-shoulder mentality and it's what keeps San Antonio LAME. Get over it, get an education and make something of yourself. That's life. Bottom line.

I have my education (full scholarship, thank you), my graduate degree and a great job. I worked my butt off for the success I've had. ANYONE can do it... You just need drive.
I have my HS education ( scholarship not needed ), didn't need any degree to get a great job. I used my common sense and good work ethic to achieve success in my life and now I am retired and financially secure and you are right all you need is the want too. Success can be achieved both ways it just depends on what you are looking for and how you choose to get there.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
I have my HS education ( scholarship not needed ), didn't need any degree to get a great job. I used my common sense and good work ethic to achieve success in my life and now I am retired and financially secure and you are right all you need is the want too. Success can be achieved both ways it just depends on what you are looking for and how you choose to get there.
I understand what you're saying, but that's not how it works anymore.

To be competitive in a world class city, you now need a degree. A bonafide, brick-and-mortar college (no, not U of PHX) education that shows a potential employer that you can stick with something- successfully- for several years... While I get that at one point working your way up was the way to go, it's not that way anymore and never will be again. Times have changed. People have changed. The level of competition for good jobs has also changed. It's fierce out there. You'd know that if you were younger and not a retiree.

You may not have needed a degree then, but you would now. That's bottom line. Don't preach the past when it doesn't apply anymore. I'm a 30-something who understands the value of a good education and wants the lifestyle that a good income affords.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:12 PM

243 posts, read 333,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
I understand what you're saying, but that's not how it works anymore.

To be competitive in a world class city, you now need a degree. A bonafide, brick-and-mortar college (no, not U of PHX) education that shows a potential employer that you can stick with something- successfully- for several years... While I get that at one point working your way up was the way to go, it's not that way anymore and never will be again. Times have changed. People have changed. The level of competition for good jobs has also changed. It's fierce out there. You'd know that if you were younger and not a retiree.

You may not have needed a degree then, but you would now. That's bottom line. Don't preach the past when it doesn't apply anymore. I'm a 30-something who understands the value of a good education and wants the lifestyle that a good income affords.
Stanch I really don't think things have changed all that much in the last 12 months since I just retired last November. Your only problem is you seem to think the only way to a good future is your way, well I'm sorry you are just dead wrong. Not That I don't think a good education is not worth the effort, it always is and I would highly recommend it. All I am saying is it is not the only way to be successful. You make it sound like if you don't go to Harvard or Columbia or the like you are doomed to failure. If you honestly believe that then I'm sorry for you. My income or lifestyle as you put it has never been lacking because of my education. When I left my job last year I was making over 200k a year, now do I consider that normal for an uneducated person no I don't but it can be done and often is even today. There are thousand in my field and others out there doing even better than that and they have never seen the inside of a university and a lot are half my age also. Now do I wish I could have gone on to college, sure I do but life does not always work out the way you want it to.

I hope that as you grow older you will soak up some of the wisdom that only life brings. You sound like you might do well to mentor under an older person for a few years, you just might learn some of the realities of life and most of that kind of an education can not be learned from a book and life's lessons can only enhance the education that I'm sure you worked very hard to achieve. Also don't be so quick to dismiss the wisdom that someone older than yourself has to offer. You just might find that you may need it in your years to come. One last bit of my antique wisdom to you, there is successful life outside of any world class city. You might want to get out of the city and look around you just might find out you like it out there. Have a good day.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The Alamo Community Colleges are about $2k per year. They also offer a lot of online, weekend, and evening courses making it easier for students to work.
Last time I checked, books and materials was another $2K.
You better hope mommy is feeding and housing you while you're going to school, or that's additional expenses.

I only counted the books and courses in my figures though.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
You better hope mommy is feeding and housing you while you're going to school, or that's additional expenses.

I last attended in 2011. I got most of my books well under$100 by either buying used or renting from L&M Bookstore (now Neebo). I was even able to sell some of them back and recoup about a third to half of the cost. At the most, one should be spending $500 on books and materials per semester. The Alamo Colleges attract a lot of economically disadvantaged students who qualify for a full Pell grant award of $5550 per year, which is more than enough to cover tuition, books, and materials.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

See other responses above. Buying used you can go well under $500 for books/materials. It easily possible.

I love how some of you are actually attempting to defend your stance of 'college is bad/too expensive' and oddly encouraging those out there to stay as the working poor. Unreal! Congrats... [Mod cut: rude]

And let's provide some proof here... A full load (15hrs) for an in-district student is $1k. Most folks can find a way to afford that, whether it be through private loans, grants or FAFSA help.

http://www.alamo.edu/uploadedFiles/D..._Fall.docx.pdf

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,170 times
Quote:
[Mod cut: rude]You should go talk to the thousands of collage grads working fast food because they don't have any skills and are really depressed since they were told that their degree would open up a world of possibilities for them.
As far as that chip on my shoulder of which you spoke. My statement comes from personal experience of having people with and without degrees working under me, so where does your vast knowledge come from?
i didnt tell them go to get a pol sci degree and complain about it later. i didnt tell them to rack up a huge loan debt at a for-profit college did i? they could have gone to CC and paid tons less, then xfer'd when the cheap stuff was out of the way and saved cash.

not my fault they cant plan ahead.

my experience comes from putting myself through college and graduating a year early. also, i run a pretty successful business locally doing IT/cisco work.

Quote:
What does community college cost now? A minimum of $4K a semester? That's $16K just to get a 2 year degree. How long is that going to take to pay off working at a call center?
go look it up hoss. doesnt cost that much, or my wife would be a lot farther in debt. 4 years in CC for a degree she got? 10k in debt. thats... what... 1250 a semester? yeah you can pay that off on a mcjob.

Quote:
like you, all i had was a HS diploma when i started my business. i eventually went on to admin a world wide network (dell.com) and they required college for me, so i went to CC, got the degree they said i needed, and all was well. i could have went to an expensive college and dell would have covered it, but a CC degree was fine with them since i had already proven my cisco skills to them (by ousting one of their 'lead' admins in the roundrock building 7)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio