U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:14 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I agree about the Bandera Road thing. I was giving directions to someone coming from the airport one day, and sure enough they went way on down to Marbach Road before calling again. Then coming back up 410 we had the same problem. It's not very well signed out there. I've been here 23 years, so I forget sometimes what it's like--I'm always bragging about how easy it is to get around here. But I guess that's because I'm not new anymore. However, my husband, who has been here for 35 years, is ALWAYS lost! It's hilarious when he has to go out of his travel comfort zone, which is about a 10 mile radius from the house. I should tape some of his frantic phone calls. Y'all would give me a medal.
Oh, now thiiiissssss was funny... shoot, I'll give you a medal just for the post!! Heeeheeee.

I think you SHOULD tape some of those calls..... LOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,988,558 times
Another blemish on TexDOT

Old 11-15-2007, 10:05 AM

604 posts, read 1,667,949 times
My girlfriend, who is from El Paso, missed the Bandera road exit the other day for the same reason- it says [SH-16 Spur___ Leon Valley San Antonio]. Like you said, why don't they put Bandera Rd., since that's what it's called and that's what everyone knows it as. Noone says "highway-16" -hell even people in Helotes don't say that, they call it Bandera Rd.

And heaven forbid anyone new here trys to get around in the North Central area.
My poor mom, we've lived here for 11 years almost and she still cant figure out that area. I tried to give her directions to the Wal Mart on Jones-Maltsberger near 281 and 410- she ended up on 281 almost to Bitters then turns around, and later calls me saying "I'm on 281 coming up to Lockhilll Selma, am I close?" "...Mom, 281 doesn't hit Lockhill Selma, where are you?" "well it's Lockhill Selma one way, and Isom the other. I just stayed on the access road..." "...wait a minute, Mom I think you're on San Pedro...."

Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I feel your pain. I think I am going to be buying champagne and roses for every man, woman, and child in the Great Northwest when Tezel Road finally opens up completely. Granted, I haven't had to go out of my way, but sheesh!! How long can it possibly take to fix ONE STINKING ROAD????

*end of my mini-rant*
Lining up for my champagne and roses......

Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 AM

31 posts, read 52,758 times
I always thought it said

Texas
Leon Valley
San Antonio

Spur 421 Bandera Rd.

I guess it may be different now because of all the construction going on and temp. signs. I'm sure it will be better when construction is over.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:18 AM

604 posts, read 1,667,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena78 View Post
I always thought it said

Texas
Leon Valley
San Antonio

Spur 421 Bandera Rd.

I guess it may be different now because of all the construction going on and temp. signs. I'm sure it will be better when construction is over.
That's what I ment, sorry. I didn't remember the exact configuration of the sign or what not. The wierd thing is... it's ALWAYS said that, they never changed it! There's also some signs out there that look like they've been there since back when Bandera really was a rural highway. You know, like the sign that would say "<-- San Antonio 9 miles" or something but you're in the middle of the city....

Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM

545 posts, read 2,086,369 times
Quote:
I always thought it said

Texas
Leon Valley
San Antonio

Spur 421 Bandera Rd.

There's one sign that says Bandera Road. The other two (including the one at the exit itself) say Texas 16 Leon Valley San Antonio.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,764 times
Quote:
I always thought it said

Texas
Leon Valley
San Antonio

Spur 421 Bandera Rd.

Not sure if anybody's still watching this thread, but I have a copy of the plans for the Bandera/410 interchange. On eastbound 410, the signs will be pretty much exactly as they are today. The primary signs will all read "Texas 16 NORTH / San Antonio / Leon Valley". There will be one supplemental sign (roadside) that reads "Spur 421 / Bandera Rd". On westbound 410, the signs will be a little better. On the signs for the new elevated direct connect ramps, the legend will be "Texas 16 NORTH / Leon Valley / Bandera" (note it's "Bandera" and not "Bandera Rd".) However, the signs for the surface exit will read "Spur 421 / Bandera Rd".

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
While we're on the subject, I drove to Denton a couple of weekends ago, and as I was going through Waco and Ft. Worth, I noticed that both cities have continuous signs that indicate the next three exits and how far away they are. There are a few of these scattered randomly around SA, but nowhere near as many as in most other large TX cities. Heck, Corpus has them almost continuously along I-37 from the Nueces county line to downtown. To me, these signs are far more useful than the ubiquitous "(Highway) (City it goes to)" signs that we have on all our freeways. This must be a decision of ARMA, since we seem to be the only TX city that uses these signs and not the interchange sequence signs I described above. Anybody else have any insight on this??
ARMA is not involved in this issue at all. Signs are designed by the traffic operations division at TxDOT.

In any case, I agree with you and I even make mention of this on my SA Freeways website. The signs you are referring to are called "interchange sequence series" signs and the Texas Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices recommends that they be used continuously along the entire length of a route through an urban area. Unfortunately, I think the current director of the traffic operations division for TxDOT in SA is old school and hasn't embraced sequence signs fully.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
OK...as long as we are venting...how about lets NOT name another road here in San Antonio MILITARY anything!!! We have Military Dr, SW Military Drive, Military Dr North, Military Drive W, West Military Drive...dang! And I thought Atlanta was bad with their naming every other road Peachtree something or other!!!

Since Westcreek is off of Military West, it is very confusing when trying to give someone directions since NONE of these Military Drives are on the same side of town!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio