Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 27,597 times

Advertisements

We are considering purchasing a home in Mountain Lodge and would like some feedback on the community and Perry Homes. We have 3 children and would like them to have tons of kids to play with.

We also have heard good things about the Northeast ISD, is this one of the better school districts? What about youth sports leagues, does the area have an organized sports league system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM

259 posts, read 909,565 times
My kids are grown, so I can't answer any questions about the schools or sports leagues, but I see plenty of kids playing in the neighborhood. I've only lived here for 4 months, but I have no complaints so far. Everything seems quiet, safe and pleasant.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,430 times
Default Living in Mountain Lodge

The schools are one of the best in San Antonio. In fact, there is a new elementary school right outside of the community. There are several youth sports organization in the community (however, we are not currently playing sports).
The only thing that would keep me from buying here (if I could do over) is the management company the HOA hires and the HOA. We continuously get conflicting information from the HOA and the management company, Real Manage. This is the first HOA we have lived at where we do not feel the home owner's interests are paramount.
On a positive note, the neighborhood is wonderful, there are a lot of kids, the views are a site to see, and it is ultra quiet at night.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,691 times
The homeowner's association does almost nothing to warrant the fees, and will not enforce the codes unless they meet their agenda. The gates often won't open so frustrated residents just drive through them and break them. The HOA gets on a rampage about things like people parking on the street or using satellite dishes but does nothing to change anything for the better. There is trash in the greenbelt that has been there for years, tires and doors and other things that provide shelter for the snakes. If I had checked out the HOA I would have moved elsewhere.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,979 times
I've lived in Mountain lodge for 4 years and I can say in all honesty that it's the best neighborhood I've lived in during my 48 years on this planet. I've never lived anywhere where the neighbors were so friendly; the people on my street are like family. I sincerely love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katypotaty View Post
The homeowner's association does almost nothing to warrant the fees
The fees are $48 per month; I know of no other neighborhood in the area with such low fees. Have you stopped to consider how expensive it is 2 maintain and staff 2 pools? Then there's road maintenance, watering and cutting the grass, lighting costs, gate maintenance and a host of other expenses. I'd say we get an awful lot for what we pay.

Quote:
and will not enforce the codes unless they meet their agenda
Two of my close friends are on the board and spend many unpaid hours every month working for the community and I can assure you that they have but one item on their "agenda": enforcing the rules every homeowner agreed to when they bought their home.

Quote:
The gates often won't open so frustrated residents just drive through them and break them.
The majority of broken gates are a result of contractors and visitors being too lazy to wait to be buzzed in and impatient residents attempting to tailgate their way through a closing gate. Cameras record the license plate numbers of people who break the gates and they are billed for the cost of repairs. For another example of where your $48 goes every month, take a look at the cost of gates, cameras, maintenance and the lawyers who have to get involved when trying to extract money from gate crashers.

Quote:
The HOA gets on a rampage about things like people parking on the street or using satellite dishes but does nothing to change anything for the better.
I've never seen any issue with satellite dishes; the FCC makes it very clear that it's almost impossible to bar someone from erecting a dish on their personal property. Installations should be as discreet as possible, but that's about it.

As for parking on the street, I have only two things to say:

1) It's an eyesore.
2) It's against the rules.

Quote:
There is trash in the greenbelt that has been there for years, tires and doors and other things that provide shelter for the snakes.
The association is aware of the issue and has spent years trying to get it cleaned up. The construction debris was dumped by builders, some of which are no longer in business. It is their responsibility to clean up after themselves but they aren't always cooperative. The legal fees involved are extensive and so are the costs of hauling it away in the meantime and all of this comes out of your $48 which was already stretched quite thin to begin with.

Quote:
If I had checked out the HOA I would have moved elsewhere.
Who would buy a home without looking into the HOA and its rules and regulations first?

Have you attended any of the HOA meetings? If not, you're missing out on a chance to air your grievances and concerns in front of the board. And, if you're really fired up, you can contend for a spot on the board and change the way things are done around here.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 15,902 times
LOVE the neighborhood!! We have lived here 5 years! and have 4 kids!! The HOA holds up the rules, which make some people upset, but makes a cleaner and better community. Our house has at least 10 kids over almost everyday. They play and play and play...inside, outside and meet at one of the 2 pools here. We have Santa breakfast, Halloween spook house pool party, An Easter egg hunt with a visit from the Easter bunny. Also adult dj parties at the pool. Lots of military families live here and we LOVE them! We are currently selling our 4 bedroom and are moving just down the street because we love it here so much. The Elementary is in walking distance and Tuscany Heights is to die for. Completely decked out with all apple computes and 2-4 ipads in each room. Halloween is FILLED with tons of trick or treaters and everyone is friendly and great. I have the best most caring neighbors. As for the gates, I would love a security shack, but the gates work fine. The Vista's of Mountain Lodge, where I live is on the last section of building, so the contractors and builders will not be breaking the gates much longer. ( when they do get broken, the gate people are here within the hour to fix it.) One more thing about the HOA, is that when a dog or cat is lost they post an email for everyone to see, and with such friendly neighbors, it is usually hanging out for the night at their house waiting for us to pick it up. They have an amazing newsletter and also when the HOA meetings are and topics. In every HOA there is going to be that person who complains about the HOA. But we love it! OH! and did I say we have a winning swim team too, and a country club golf course that is AMAZING! with waterfalls and Longhorn cattle!

If you want a quite peaceful neighborhood with super friendly neighbors and lots of kids and planned activities and the BEST school...move here.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM

98 posts, read 344,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofthreefromone View Post
LOVE the neighborhood!! We have lived here 5 years! and have 4 kids!! The HOA holds up the rules, which make some people upset, but makes a cleaner and better community. Our house has at least 10 kids over almost everyday. They play and play and play...inside, outside and meet at one of the 2 pools here. We have Santa breakfast, Halloween spook house pool party, An Easter egg hunt with a visit from the Easter bunny. Also adult dj parties at the pool. Lots of military families live here and we LOVE them! We are currently selling our 4 bedroom and are moving just down the street because we love it here so much. The Elementary is in walking distance and Tuscany Heights is to die for. Completely decked out with all apple computes and 2-4 ipads in each room. Halloween is FILLED with tons of trick or treaters and everyone is friendly and great. I have the best most caring neighbors. As for the gates, I would love a security shack, but the gates work fine. The Vista's of Mountain Lodge, where I live is on the last section of building, so the contractors and builders will not be breaking the gates much longer. ( when they do get broken, the gate people are here within the hour to fix it.) One more thing about the HOA, is that when a dog or cat is lost they post an email for everyone to see, and with such friendly neighbors, it is usually hanging out for the night at their house waiting for us to pick it up. They have an amazing newsletter and also when the HOA meetings are and topics. In every HOA there is going to be that person who complains about the HOA. But we love it! OH! and did I say we have a winning swim team too, and a country club golf course that is AMAZING! with waterfalls and Longhorn cattle!

If you want a quite peaceful neighborhood with super friendly neighbors and lots of kids and planned activities and the BEST school...move here.
I'm so excited! We are looking at building with Gehan Homes in Mountain Lodge. We are also looking in Helotes, but I'd rather live in the Stone Oak area. I've heard the schools are fabulous, and everything is within 5 minutes or so (absolutely essential for a working mommy with 2 year old twins)! We're moving from San Diego, so we're used to family oriented master planned communities. Looks as though we've found one

Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
You might want to check out the rush hour traffic, since that neighborhood is at the north end of the 281 Superstreet. The commute in both directions is better than it was 2 years ago (and 4 years ago, when this thread was started), but there are still thousands of vehicles making the trek in both directions down that modified 4-lane highway between Mountain Lodge and 1604.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 PM

98 posts, read 344,854 times
I have to make it to Fort Sam by 0730 every morning. I hear the commute is about 30 minutes??? Please let it only be 30 minutes.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofthreefromone View Post
Lots of military families live here and we LOVE them!
Are they active duty military families or retired military families? There is a huge difference. We loved being prior military and living around military families... but they got reassigned and now there are mostly rentals around our neighborhood.

Look at the big picture. As a veteran, I'm not being hateful, but think about what happens when those people move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio