U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: 78250
937 posts, read 2,160,458 times
Reputation: 335

Advertisements

Now that we are in our own home I am contemplating about signing up to the Peak saver program.

I read from their website

"Through Smart Thermostat (also known as Peak Saver), you agree to let CPS Energy remotely access your central air conditioner to cycle your compressor off for a short period of time. This is more likely to occur during the hot summer months of South Texas, between May and September, when local energy demand is at its "peak." Cycling off your compressor should occur for approximately ten minutes each half hour between the hours of 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday."

So, if I were to purchase our own honeywell programmable thermostat and have it installed by a HVAC pro, will CPS still have control of shutting down our AC every now and then during peak hours??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Mid South Central TX
3,183 posts, read 7,434,547 times
Reputation: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Now that we are in our own home I am contemplating about signing up to the Peak saver program.

I read from their website

"Through Smart Thermostat (also known as Peak Saver), you agree to let CPS Energy remotely access your central air conditioner to cycle your compressor off for a short period of time. This is more likely to occur during the hot summer months of South Texas, between May and September, when local energy demand is at its "peak." Cycling off your compressor should occur for approximately ten minutes each half hour between the hours of 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday."

So, if I were to purchase our own honeywell programmable thermostat and have it installed by a HVAC pro, will CPS still have control of shutting down our AC every now and then during peak hours??
No.

But we've had both versions of the CPS thermostats, and the cycling is rare. And, I've NEVER seen it cycle more than 1x per day or maybe 2x per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM
 
Location: 78250
937 posts, read 2,160,458 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
No.

But we've had both versions of the CPS thermostats, and the cycling is rare. And, I've NEVER seen it cycle more than 1x per day or maybe 2x per week.
I know a lot will disagree, but since were footing the bill, we want to CONTROL whenever our AC is on NOT CPS control it for us. But at the same time,yes we do want to save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,893 posts, read 4,874,352 times
Reputation: 1471
Contact CPS and ask them if you can opt out later if you see that it's becoming a problem for you. I'll bet you can, but I'll also bet that you won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM
 
Location: 78250
937 posts, read 2,160,458 times
Reputation: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Contact CPS and ask them if you can opt out later if you see that it's becoming a problem for you. I'll bet you can, but I'll also bet that you won't.
i did, i asked if we changed our minds if there is a fee to opt out of the program and they told me no, just call us and we'll send someone out there to remove it. no charge.

What makes you suggest that we won't opt out of the program if we do sign up for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,159 posts, read 20,444,227 times
Reputation: 26433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
No.

But we've had both versions of the CPS thermostats, and the cycling is rare. And, I've NEVER seen it cycle more than 1x per day or maybe 2x per week.
This is great to know. I've wanted to sign up for it but I'm home during the day and I didn't want to get stuck with a hot house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,893 posts, read 4,874,352 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
i did, i asked if we changed our minds if there is a fee to opt out of the program and they told me no, just call us and we'll send someone out there to remove it. no charge.

What makes you suggest that we won't opt out of the program if we do sign up for it?
I've had that at my house for years and although they have cycled it a few time that I know of, I hardly even noticed it. They have probably done it more time than I know about. That's why I doubt that you will bother to opt out once you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,314 posts, read 2,778,237 times
Reputation: 842
We have the Home Manager and they bumped-up the thermostat a couple of times last week. We noticed it a bit one afternoon but we just turned on the ceiling fan and were fine. Personally, if bumping up my thermostat a couple of degrees prevents rolling blackouts, then I'm happy to do my part. And with Home Manager, we can always opt-out by simply adjusting the thermostat manually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Texas
475 posts, read 971,064 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Now that we are in our own home I am contemplating about signing up to the Peak saver program.

I read from their website

"Through Smart Thermostat (also known as Peak Saver), you agree to let CPS Energy remotely access your central air conditioner to cycle your compressor off for a short period of time. This is more likely to occur during the hot summer months of South Texas, between May and September, when local energy demand is at its "peak." Cycling off your compressor should occur for approximately ten minutes each half hour between the hours of 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday."

So, if I were to purchase our own honeywell programmable thermostat and have it installed by a HVAC pro, will CPS still have control of shutting down our AC every now and then during peak hours??
If you buy your own thermostat from a store or HVAC contractor, it will not have the programming/circuits that allows CPS control over your thermostat.

The thermostat that CPS installs is usually well over $100 so getting it from CPS means no out-of-pocket cost with only the occasional A/C interruption on high demand days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
 
Location: United States
464 posts, read 661,687 times
Reputation: 767
We had one from Dec 2009 until Dec 2012 and were enrolled in CPS' "peak saver" program. From the beginning I noticed when being cycled by CPS, the temp in the house would go up a few degrees. This difference was definitely noticeable. Also we are in a fairly new house with a radiant barrier but without the benefit of mature trees to provide shade.

It seemed on the worst of the hottest days that we'd be cycled almost daily.

Towards the end I couldn't wait to leave the program. The contract was for 3 years and at the end you get to keep the thermostat. Given the lack of mature trees and that I was always concerned with the wear & tear that cycling would have on the compressor, I wouldn't do it again. However, your experience may be different and, if you have mature trees, you'll probably notice no difference when being cycled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top