Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 AM

3,432 posts, read 4,429,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
Hello,

my husband just got a job offered in SA (near Takas Park). We're overseas at the moment and were looking at the DFW area first. I've already did my homework on Dallas and where I could see us living there, but have to start all over again for SA. I would really appreciate your input and advises.

Ok...so here are some infos you might need:

- 2 kids (1,5 years old) Schools will be one of our priorities
- budget around +- 500k
- safe, family friendly area, preferably not too "vanilla" and conservative
- large lots (0,5 acre+)
- as walkable as possible, small shops, farmers markets
- I adore the Spanish style architecture and would like to buy/build something like that

His commute is around 45min on good days now and he wouldn't mind the same distance/time there.

My next concern is the HOA thing. I'm not used to the idea of paying somebody to live by his rules. Over here if we buy land and a house, we can do with it almost everything we want. We're very fond of green building and alternative energy stuff. So we would like to put solar panels on the roof and have rain water cisterns in the ground. Do you know of any HOA's who allow that?

Plus I'm a passionate gardener and want to grow veggies and fruits/nut-trees in my yard. Can they restrict that?

Thanks in advance!
Try to avoid HOA-burdened property entirely. It is difficult because local government has been mandating them - they are not the result of popularity but rather government mandate. Although there are new laws (2011) that restrict some HOA board conduct, the new laws still grant the HOA and managing agents far too much control over the things you identify.

If you can find non-HOA property you will eliminate a legal entanglement that serves only to benefit HOA management companies, HOA attorneys, and HOA board members. You will also be much happier without the drive-by spying, claims of "violation", and threats of foreclosure from the involuntary membership corporation and its vendors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 AM

270 posts, read 591,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
No.

I am half Mexican/Half German ( a very common mix in San Antonio). I am married to a "white" (as in northern European). I've never had any issues in San Antonio, nor have our kids.
That's good to hear! My boys are the same mix, half German/half Mexican-Texan. So they won't feel too much out of place. An important criteria for me to choose a place for us to settle down. I never experienced racism and want them to grow up "colorblind" like me.

One of the reasons I don't want to live in one of these "white bubbles" like Southlake (Dallas) where people might think my Husband is the gardener, because he's the only Hispanic.

I like how it is over here. No fences, the kids run from yard to yard, there is always somebody grilling and you can just come over for a Bratwurst and cold Beer. They water the plants if you're on vacation or shovel snow, wave if you walk by...the small town feeling.

Do you think it will be possible to find something similar in SA?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,532,161 times
Quote:
That's good to hear! My boys are the same mix, half German/half Mexican-Texan. So they won't feel too much out of place. An important criteria for me to choose a place for us to settle down. I never experienced racism and want them to grow up "colorblind" like me.

One of the reasons I don't want to live in one of these "white bubbles" like Southlake (Dallas) where people might think my Husband is the gardener, because he's the only Hispanic.

I like how it is over here. No fences, the kids run from yard to yard, there is always somebody grilling and you can just come over for a Bratwurst and cold Beer. They water the plants if you're on vacation or shovel snow, wave if you walk by...the small town feeling.

Do you think it will be possible to find something similar in SA?
It's like that where I live, Southtown. Older, historic neighborhood. Mix of properties. I don't think it has all of your criteria (though you can find some properties with 1/2 acre). And we do have fences, with gates for the kids to pass through.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 PM

860 posts, read 856,000 times
Quote:
I found some nice homes in Timberwood Park, thanks.

But after reading a little bit on Sperling's Best Places I got concerned about 2 things. Maybe you'll enlighten me some. Why is the Air Quality only a 10.9 out of 100? And what about Allergies? I've read that kids often get Asthma from that special type of Cedar?

The second point is discrimination against white women. Some people wrote that it is really bad. Almost impossible to find female friends and Hispanic women (as the majority) use to treat white women not very nice.

I'm white as cottage cheese, but married to a Hispanic Texan. Our kids are bi-racial and I'm used to having friends of different colors, believes, heritages, etc. Almost all our friends are mixed or live in mixed relationships.

Would we have to deal with racism, because my kids are part white and my SO decided to marry a Non-Hispanic woman?
Timberwood Park is a possibility that's on the edge of your 45 minute commute criteria, depending on time of day. Also consider New Braunfels and there are some nice acreage developments off I-35, giving you easy access to Austin.

Air Quality in San Antonio is borderline, technically we became a non-attainment city under EPA standards a couple of years ago, but they are working on ways to improve. Historically the main source of pollution has been the refineries by Corpus Christi and agricultural burning in Mexico. The population boom in recent years and the Eagle Ford Shale play have recently created more home grown pollution. However, San Antonio has the best air of any major city in Texas---the air quality is significantly better than Dallas and Houston--at least for now.

San Antonio is consistently ranked as one of the top cities for allergy problems. We usually fight with Austin for the number 1 worst spot.

Take what you heard about bigotry and racism with a grain of salt. I would bet there is more of it where you live now than you will encounter in San Antonio.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 15,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The walkability and location to shops/farmers markets may be a bit harder than the other choices. I would start looking in the Boerne area. I'm not sure about the Spanish style though. You may get lucky or be able to build your own. You can get the land you need/want and the schools are amazing. I'm not sure where Takas Park is or if you've misspelled it. The drive to downtown SA, in traffic, would probably be about 4045 minutes.

If you can sacrifice the land idea then I'd look in the Olmos Park, Terrell Hills, Alta Vista/Monte Vista area and send the kiddos to private schools as they are all in the San Antonio ISD area which isn't the best option for schools. Here you will find the farmers markets and the walkable areas that you might not find in Boerne. The homes are older and you may find that Spanish home you are looking for there.
Olmos Park and most of Terrell Hills are in AHISD, one of the best school districts in the metro area. But if you're in AV/MV, yes, private is the way to go.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 AM

270 posts, read 591,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsocal View Post
Olmos Park and most of Terrell Hills are in AHISD, one of the best school districts in the metro area. But if you're in AV/MV, yes, private is the way to go.
The problem with the older, more walkable areas is the size of the most homes. I've already looked on trulia and Co. There are really nice looking neighbourhoods, but we're searching for 3250sqft.+ houses with at least 4 bedrooms. Very difficult to find there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio