Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times

Advertisements

Walkable areas with shopping? San Antonio isn't laid out for this. I wish it was. Sidewalk cafes are unheard of except for at the Riverwalk. You need transportation to get around or you could get run over. When my car was stolen a few years back I tried walking everywhere and it was like putting my life in danger. Not pedestrian friendly at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
The complex across from Alamo Heights UMC would be a good fit. I wouldn't go for the Southtown area. You aren't going to get the pool/fitness centers there (although I could be wrong so please so don't get your panties in a wad when I said I know i could be wrong). You are also right at 281/410 for easy access to highways no matter where you need to go in the city.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
So it's downtown or bust. I was looking for something like The Plaza in KC, where it is highly walkable, 180+ retail and dining establishments, connected to urban core,features luxury apartments as well as hiking and biking trails but with the wonderful history and climate that San Antonio offers. 1800 Broadway looks promising.

I've never been to Kansas City so was wondering what The Plaza looks like so here is a Google Street View of that area. Nice place.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+w...haiK9bc_Qr4V5g

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Quote:
I was looking for something like The Plaza in KC, where it is highly walkable, 180+ retail and dining establishments, connected to urban core,features luxury apartments as well as hiking and biking trails but with the wonderful history and climate that San Antonio offers. 1800 Broadway looks promising.

Oh man, Austin just an hour or so up the road sounds like the perfect place for you. Hike and bike trails galore and tons of urban living options (with thousands of more units under construction). Austin is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country as well. In my neighborhood over 12% of trips are made by bicycle.

If you're relocating for a job in San Antonio, I'd definitely go for the River North area and the new apartments around the revitalized Pearl Brewery. Quality apartments and good bike access to downtown. Located along the gorgeous Riverwalk extension

Last edited by LiveUrban; 08-23-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I wouldn't go for the Southtown area. You aren't going to get the pool/fitness centers there (although I could be wrong so please so don't get your panties in a wad when I said I know i could be wrong)..
Yes, that would be incorrect.

No pantie wadding, just correct information for at least a few Southtown/SoFlo residences, if the OP decides to consider that area:

St. Benedicts Lofts King William | Amenities
Judson Candy Factory Lofts | Centro Properties (I've never been there so wasn't sure about the pool, but another resident already posted that they do indeed have one)
Cevallos The CL is Clear Luxury

(there are more, but I'll let the OP start searching if he's interested - Refugio/Hemisview has these a well, but they're not luxury)

Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,010 times
We found an area around USAA offices which we liked. It's not in the 410 but its close enough not to be a deal breaker. Plus my wife is originally from SE Asia and we found a good place for Pho on wurzbach and Vance Jackson. Are there any good walking trails and parks in this area?

Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Quote:
We found an area around USAA offices which we liked. It's not in the 410 but its close enough not to be a deal breaker. Plus my wife is originally from SE Asia and we found a good place for Pho on wurzbach and Vance Jackson. Are there any good walking trails and parks in this area?
That's kinda completely opposite from what you wanted you wanted. It's very suburban, I can't imagine really imagine walking or biking anywhere around there. It's not historical unless aging 80s garden apartment complexes are your thing.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You aren't going to get the pool/fitness centers there (although I could be wrong so please so don't get your panties in a wad when I said I know i could be wrong). You are also right at 281/410 for easy access to highways no matter where you need to go in the city.
Very wrong. My place has a great pool and fitness center. Rooftop sunning deck with 360 degree views of downtown also.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
Uhhhhhh????????? You just did a 180 from everything you said you wanted.

You will be getting in your car and driving through bad traffic if you want to do anything outdoors.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
The thing with the USAA area is that it is a bit more cosmopolitan with some many different types of people there. Catholic Charities settles immigrants in several apartment complexes in the area and many of them walk places. There is also the contractor population from USAA and then UTHSCSA has many students that walk/bike. With such diversity in the area you have several different opportunities for food and there a few ethnic grocery stores. While it may seem somewhat unsafe for the locals to think of walking in the area many people do it.

If the OP fell in love with it he fell in love with it. I thought I wanted to be in the LoBro area and ended up at 410/Jackson Keller. I wouldn't have changed my decision for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio