U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM

380 posts, read 1,166,271 times

Advertisements

They are bugs for goodness sake. Squish em, pick em up and throw them across the street or whatever.

Our children are too sensitive these days. I remember growing up poor we had no choice but to live with cockroaches and rats... my wife who was better off then I seriously freaks out when she sees a cockroach.

Tell your daughter, "we're moving and your going to like it, give me problems and get a whooping".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,085 times
You got to love Texas!!!!!!I am really looking forward to moving.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 PM

265 posts, read 1,086,601 times
Also from Detroit & now have been here for 4+ months. In my opinion, there are more bugs and they are more annoying here because they get into everything. My kids get mosquito bites in bed & we have no idea where they are coming from. I found a big cockroach on the wall last night - HUGE. We just moved into this (relatively new) home one week ago, and had a pest inspection, so this was an unhappy surprise. Our apartment, the Retreat at Canyon Springs, was crawling with ants and had to be sprayed twice in 2 months. And our son stepped on some fire ants at a park with a sandbox.

It hasn't been great, the roach was the icing on the cake. Michigan does have some nasty skeeters, especially sitting outside at night up north but I never - ever - had an issue with bugs inside my house there. The odd spider in a basement corner, yes, but a parade of tiny ants stretching three feet down a wall & into my dog's dish...no.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I moved here from Washtenaw County, Michigan a few years ago -- and far from regret it. There is a definite culture shock, but I do believe that you'll overcome it with time and grow to love San Antonio. Welcome
Have you told me the city you're from before? I too am from Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor) and would love to go back. I'd trade the OP houses if they were from a different location, more like SW of Detroit, down 94 maybe.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,697,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
Also from Detroit & now have been here for 4+ months. In my opinion, there are more bugs and they are more annoying here because they get into everything. My kids get mosquito bites in bed & we have no idea where they are coming from. I found a big cockroach on the wall last night - HUGE. We just moved into this (relatively new) home one week ago, and had a pest inspection, so this was an unhappy surprise. Our apartment, the Retreat at Canyon Springs, was crawling with ants and had to be sprayed twice in 2 months. And our son stepped on some fire ants at a park with a sandbox.

It hasn't been great, the roach was the icing on the cake. Michigan does have some nasty skeeters, especially sitting outside at night up north but I never - ever - had an issue with bugs inside my house there. The odd spider in a basement corner, yes, but a parade of tiny ants stretching three feet down a wall & into my dog's dish...no.
Looks like Motown Mary won't be here for very long.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,320,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Looks like Motown Mary won't be here for very long.
I think she made up her mind before she even left Detroit that she wouldn't like it here.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 AM

3,353 posts, read 9,850,558 times
Tons of people coming from Metro Detroit! I grew up in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County! I love it here! The bugs aren't bad... and I've been here three summers. You can sit outside at night without being bitten buy mosquitos. Try that in Michigan!!! There are some this year, but literally the first summer I was here it was dry and I didn't see one the whole first summer, and spent many evenings on my patio.

The fact that the trees stay GREEN all years is also amazing!

There are scorpions, but I've only seen one in three years. There are tarantulas, but I've never seen one, most people haven't. There are also rattle snakes. Michigan has some posionous snakes, black widows, brown recluses, etc. It's really no worse here. The fire ants are the only noticable change, but you can treat your hard for them.

You should bring them on vacation for a week, do all the fun stuff. That would be the easiest way to ease her mind.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Mowtown Mary, as I said in my last post, it has been an especially moist summer. The mosqitos are an annomly. Once it dries out you won't see them anymore. Is your new house near a field? That could explain your high occurance of bugs. I don't usually know people with roaches and bugs and ant invading their house. New homes always have more bugs from being vacant before closing. Perhaps your exterminator didn't do a proper job. I don't, and have never had, bugs in my house.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Motown Mary,
Ants here are usually looking for water, not food. Which dog bowl was the trail leading to? You might have a nest in your wall if it's really that bad. They are just sugar ants, harmless. But annoying. Call your exterminator!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,846,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I think she made up her mind before she even left Detroit that she wouldn't like it here.
Unfortunately, I think you're right! I think it's pretty sad when someone is so determined to only see what they DON'T have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio