Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,642 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]I may be relocating to San Antonio if everything goes well. My family and I currently live in Michigan just North of Detroit. I have been having a hard time selling this to my oldest girl (she’s 8); one of her biggest issues is that she is scared of the bugs and other critters. I spent 2 years North of Austin about 15 years ago, but I am having a hard time remembering bugs ever being an issue. Any helpful information as of what we can expect would be great.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The job I am interviewing at is on the Northeast side of the city. My wife is an elementary school teacher and is looking to get into a good district. I am having trouble finding the right information and I do not know anyone in the area. Basically I am looking for any help to send me in the right direction[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you[/SIZE]

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-14-2007 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM

17 posts, read 78,759 times
If your going to be working in the Northeast San Antonio I would recommend looking into the Cibolo area. Some of the highest ranked schools and high development make Cibolo a very attractive area in Northeast San Antonio. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-14-2007 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 AM

72 posts, read 267,619 times
My family and I just moved here two weeks ago from just north of Detroit and I am a teacher, too! There are many good school districts in this area-NEISD, NISD, Cibolo/Schertz/Universal City, Comal ISD just to name a few. I can tell you the place your wife needs to begin with the certification process is this website for the state of Texas' educator certification https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us (broken link)
The first thing your wife needs to do when you arrive here is to get the car registered and get a Texas driver's license-you can't do much as far as certification without the driver's license. I have a 7 and 10 year old and the worst we've seen so far are big grasshoppers. I don't really think there are any more bugs than in Michigan-they just live longer because of the weather. Also, the mosquitoes are nothing compared to Michigan. We eat outside every evening on the patio and have no problems with bugs. We did have the house sprayed when we first moved in because there were lots of little, tiny ants right outside the door. Haven't seen a red ant yet but I don't let the kids run around barefoot outside, either. Welcome-this is a beautiful, family-friendly place to live!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 AM

129 posts, read 399,780 times
My typical response to new transplants with kids. Check out 78209 - the best school district in town. Great location. Not sure where on the NE side of town your job is, but probably close to '09.

For getting certified in teaching - check out Region 20, they'll get you certified. Your wife will have no problem finding a teaching job, there is a shortage of teachers here.

Bugs - There are the water-bug cockroaches, which are huge, but stick mainly to outside. Fire ants here are terrible, make sure to take care of any in your yard - they will spread fast. Check your house periodically for termites. Mosquitos are usually nothing compared to the midwest, except if there is a lot of rain (like this summer - they were terrible!)

Good luck on the move.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM

247 posts, read 844,116 times
An early welcome to San Antonio! My husband grew up in Garden City.
We've lived in SA for 3 years moving from California, my DD (7) goes to a newer school in NEISD, good, safe schools, high testing scores and she loves her teachers.
We haven't had a problem with big bugs besides mosquitos, we don't go anywhere without spray in the warm months. I've seen a scorpion on the patio that's about it. I have to watch out for the lizards my cats bring in from the yard.
We bought along 1604 outside the Stone Oak area, futher into stone oak traffic is an issue and will continue to be because the city is slow to improve roads but quick to throw up houses & businesses in this area. We are close to Grandparents here, If that wasn't a factor I would of looked in Cibolo or Shertz, I agree with the other post it's a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM

265 posts, read 1,190,839 times
Default Coming from Detroit too.

We are moving to San Antonio from Detroit too (Clawson). My husband starts his new job on Dec. 3 so he is going ahead while I stay back with the kids & work on selling the house. I can't speak to your concerns about bugs or schools, because I have had them myself, but I'd love to hear how your relocation goes. We met with two Realtors selected by the relo company and the last meeting (today) ended up with me excusing myself to break into tears privately. Needless to say, I am having a hard time with this. If you have any insights, please feel free to message me. Good luck with your move.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:18 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I moved here from Washtenaw County, Michigan a few years ago -- and far from regret it. There is a definite culture shock, but I do believe that you'll overcome it with time and grow to love San Antonio. Welcome

Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
Bugs shouldn't be a problem, unless you decided to live in a more rural area of the county.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 AM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times
sometimes we get mosquitos when it's rainy, hot, and humid (early summer-ish)

Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,410 times
Default Re: Bugs in San Antonio

Bugs are a part of life here. If you live in a track home development there are less bugs but as you go north toward the hill country you get more bugs.

We have an acre with more than 30 live oak tress in the front yard and we see plenty of bugs.

Here are some of the list:
Scorpions, centipedes, millipedes, stick bugs, secadas, crickets, dirt daubers, and LOTS of frogs in our pond and pool.

Cheers,

Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafgreen View Post
[SIZE=3]I may be relocating to San Antonio if everything goes well. My family and I currently live in Michigan just North of Detroit. I have been having a hard time selling this to my oldest girl (she’s 8); one of her biggest issues is that she is scared of the bugs and other critters. I spent 2 years North of Austin about 15 years ago, but I am having a hard time remembering bugs ever being an issue. Any helpful information as of what we can expect would be great.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The job I am interviewing at is on the Northeast side of the city. My wife is an elementary school teacher and is looking to get into a good district. I am having trouble finding the right information and I do not know anyone in the area. Basically I am looking for any help to send me in the right direction[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you[/SIZE]

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-15-2007 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: advertising/solicitation not permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio