Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,769,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
As a source of law, it is useless in this country which was founded upon the separation of church and state. It has NO place in our laws.
Tell that to the founding lawmakers who were inspired by the Bible and modeled it into their laws and setting up of our basic US government.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,216,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
People who hate God have no right to force their morality upon those who love God.
So, we started out talking about an anti-discrimination ordinance. Now, those of us who want equality for everyone hate God. Got it. I think this debate has officially run its course.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 PM

243 posts, read 331,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So, we started out talking about an anti-discrimination ordinance. Now, those of us who want equality for everyone hate God. Got it. I think this debate has officially run its course.
Did someone leave you in charge of the debate? Guess I didn't get that memo. What happened to moving on?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,429,633 times
thenewtexan has a point though. OzzyRules has made a silly assumption that everyone who isn't a Christian or doesn't believe religion should drive the government must hate God. He couldn't be further off base.
It's like me saying everyone who believes in God must hate a particular demographic of people.
It has no basis in fact.

Christianity is awesome, it's responsible for a lot of great things. Unfortunately, it's also been used to do a lot of terrible things as well.

It's far too easy to misinterpret the bible to further your own agenda. Perhaps it's time for religious leaders to update their stance on some of the teachings in the bible? It was written in a time where they couldn't have possibly foreseen everything that was to come this far ahead.

Last edited by prim8; 09-09-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
As a source of law, it is useless in this country which was founded upon the separation of church and state. It has NO place in our laws.
You're welcome to support or not support what you wish, but you DO understand that this argument, which is one of the left's favorite to use is NOWHERE to be found in our founding documents, correct? Nowhere. And if you can show me where, you'll be the first.

The idea of the separation of Church and state was mentioned in a letter by Thomas Jefferson talking about the fact that the government should not be allowed to have a state religion, which it never has, still doesn't, nor ever will.

The country was actually founded on religious FREEDOM, which is EXACTLY what you're arguing against. Ironic.

Facts are more fun when they're actual facts. Not "facts" that you make up to try and support your side.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
You're welcome to support or not support what you wish, but you DO understand that this argument, which is one of the left's favorite to use is NOWHERE to be found in our founding documents, correct? Nowhere. And if you can show me where, you'll be the first.

The idea of the separation of Church and state was mentioned in a letter by Thomas Jefferson talking about the fact that the government should not be allowed to have a state religion, which it never has, still doesn't, nor ever will.

The country was actually founded on religious FREEDOM, which is EXACTLY what you're arguing against. Ironic.

Facts are more fun when they're actual facts. Not "facts" that you make up to try and support your side.
Always boggles my mind how people take the separation of church and state out of context. Did people just not take U.S. History, ever? Religious freedom: Freedom of, not Freedom from.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM

431 posts, read 1,198,932 times
Quote:
This is exactly why the opponents of the ordinance, who spoke at the podium in front of city council, had no logical legal argument against a homosexual "lifestyle". Because their opinions were based on a religious text. And I say this as a lifelong, church going, Christian school educated Christian.
Quote:
No. Religious Freedom means that you can legally choose to worship the Christian God, the Muslim Allah, Buddha, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You are not forced to only worship in the ways of the Anglicans, Catholics, Orthodox religions, Shiites, I could go on...

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Always boggles my mind how people take the separation of church and state out of context. Did people just not take U.S. History, ever? Religious freedom: Freedom of, not Freedom from.
So are you suggesting that the founding fathers meant to force all of us to have some sort of religion, it just didn't matter which one?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
So are you suggesting that the founding fathers meant to force all of us to have some sort of religion, it just didn't matter which one?
Always looking to argue, eh?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Not at all, I just call em like I see em.

We're free to follow any religion we like, to include none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio