Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 AM

336 posts, read 484,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
People, if you want to talk about supporting non discrimination, then you can not drag "old Anglos" and Mormons through the mud too. It makes you look just as bad as them.

The Mormons I personally know do not treat me differently because I am gay. They are actually pretty nice to me.

As someone who is white, but not of 'Anglo' heritage, I find it sad that someone in this city doesn't know well enough to know that Anglo is about a very specific group of folks... Not just any white person in general.

Get educated people. Think and research before you speak and make yourselves look foolish.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
As someone who is white, but not of 'Anglo' heritage, I find it sad that someone in this city doesn't know well enough to know that Anglo is about a very specific group of folks... Not just any white person in general.

Get educated people. Think and research before you speak and make yourselves look foolish.
I am not the one that used the term first in this thread, hence the quotes. I don't disagree with what you are saying at all.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 AM

336 posts, read 484,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am not the one that used the term first in this thread, hence the quotes. I don't disagree with what you are saying at all.

Totally understand. I'm sorry if my response came across to you. Not intended.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:08 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post

LOTS of people in this city use the word "Anglo" to mean "white person". It isn't accurate, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle if you want that slang to change!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
You know nothing of what those folks have faced in their lives. It's attitudes like yours that will keep gays marginalized for years to come.
Well, I know for sure that they had more opportunities than my Mexican-American grandparents did.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:49 PM

243 posts, read 333,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well, I know for sure that they had more opportunities than my Mexican-American grandparents did.
I would say that you really don't know nor do I know what they did or did not have since neither one of us were alive when your grand parents were young. You seem to think that being a minority or a person's sexual orientation has something to do with if they can be successful or not. Well I would disagree with that completely. Success is being able to persevere in spite of all the obstacles that are thrown up in front of you. Standing around and wasting time waiting for someone to help you and saying I can't get ahead because of whatever is just an easy way out of having to try. Life has never been fair or equal and most likely never will be, but those of us like myself who started out on the bottom and who achieved some measure of success in life have never let that get in our way.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 10-15-2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Just saw that their weren't enough signatures to pass the referendum to overturn the NDO. Great news!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Just saw that their weren't enough signatures to pass the referendum to overturn the NDO. Great news!
Where'd you hear this? I listen to Fox News on the way to work (believe it or not), and they mentioned this, but I couldn't find a newspaper story on it.

Oh, those poor, poor people!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Where'd you hear this? I listen to Fox News on the way to work (believe it or not), and they mentioned this, but I couldn't find a newspaper story on it.

Oh, those poor, poor people!
KENS 5: Local effort to force referendum on NDO fails, not enough signatures | kens5.com San Antonio

Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM

243 posts, read 333,675 times
[quote=JuneOf48;31821474]Where'd you hear this? I listen to Fox News on the way to work (believe it or not), and they mentioned this, but I couldn't find a newspaper story on it.

Oh, those poor, poor people![/quote]

Why would you call them poor poor people? They tried to get an ordinance changed that they did not believe in and they were doing it according to the law. So why is that a problem for you or do you not believe in the rule of law unless you are the one wanting change, is that how it works for you? They tried and they were not successful end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio