U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,222,358 times

Advertisements

What San Antonio got first

Brooks Brothers (Austin still does not have one)

Ralph Lauren

Juicy Couture

Tiffany & Co

Ill match store for store so far you guys have IKEA way to go team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM

925 posts, read 892,987 times
Boston's

Jamba Juice (Though they left but will be returning)

H&M (will be part of The Rim)

Freddy's Frozen Custard

Ethan Allen

Village Inn

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 PM

I think with that we can let this thread die. It got out of control before and the last two posts prove the point that it goes both ways.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Boston's

Jamba Juice (Though they left but will be returning)

H&M (will be part of The Rim)

Freddy's Frozen Custard

Ethan Allen

Village Inn
What is H&M...and if we are going to really dig deep because some of you people like to stretch where was the first taco cabana? the second HEB?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post
The topic is retail/chains, not highrise condos. There is more to be said for a city than a few new highrise buildings?

Amen to that.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 AM

374 posts, read 861,750 times
Austin retail is being driven by the far left who have relocated from California and Madison Wisconsin to the immediate area. The trend in Austin is to become less TEXAN by the day (as if there is much left). I wouldn't welcome that here in SA. The stores in question on this post are not normal "SA" stores. Whole foods here involve beans, beef and corn husks! If you want stylish furniture, try one of the many rustic furniture shops all around SA. SA needs to keep its heritage and let the zipperheads who wish for "green" move to Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -M40
In summation, if you’re in a survival situation, the only thing you need to know about a spotted owl is that it tastes like chicken.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,258,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciJay View Post
SA is about 10 years behind most other places (like Austin) in lots of ways, including retail. When I moved to SA I thought that was a bad thing, now I think its something to embrace and wish a lot of the stuff would never come to town. I'm a big fan of "keeping SA lame", that's how I like it.

S.A behind Austin? Austin is 40 years behind San Antonio with their freeways & infrastructure who cares about one extra WHole Foods! Are you serious about retail? That is so untrue!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,258,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
How many exist in Texas?

It's a low income city. Most reports put our median income in the $35-40K range, lower than the Texas median income and that of other Texas cities (values will vary depending on the study, but we're always lower). Our poverty level is ~15%.

There are indeed white collar jobs, even those are not as high paying here as they are in other cities. yes, property is cheaper, but overall cost of living (insurance, taxes, food, gas, utilities) is not significantly lower than similar sized cities (nor anywhere I've lived). And this influx of white collar jobs is relatively recent - many of those now living a 'white collar life' come from a blue-collar background. Even if they can afford to shop at Whole Foods, it's not necessarily part of their culture to do so.

Being blue collar isn't a negative thing. However maybe "blue collar" isn't the right term anymore, rather "white collar with blue collar salaries."
Actually the median family Income is second followed by Dallas then Houston.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 AM

129 posts, read 360,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
S.A behind Austin? Austin is 40 years behind San Antonio with their freeways & infrastructure who cares about one extra WHole Foods! Are you serious about retail? That is so untrue!
Does Austin have sidewalks? How about that for some "social infrastructure" where SA is backasswards.

Yeah, Austin freeways have not kept up with the population growth. The debate can go on and on. But the, unbacked-up, fact remains that most cities the size of SA will have more than one Whole Foods - and I'd bet that in 10 years there will be more than one in SA. When I moved to SA 10 years ago, I could barely find a Starbucks, case and point. Not that I care, I would prefer it the other way, this is my personal observation.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 AM

10 years ago I could barely find a Starbucks in Denver. What's your point? Starbucks was more a west coast and east coast phenomenon 10 years ago and hadn't gone into full expansion mode yet. Now the smallest populated places in this country have Starbucks. As for side walks, the MPO is making great strides in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio