Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,836 times

Advertisements

Is a permit required if I am having the complete HVAC system replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:06 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Yes, but usually the contractor will pull the permit & arrange for inspection.
https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/dsdd...pplication.pdf

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM

175 posts, read 405,989 times
The contractor is "supposed to..." key wording.
I know of several people -myself included, who had 'James', tell us he was 'licensed'.....
Only to find out later that he was not!
Do not take someone's word. Make them show you their license AND insurance! Then VERIFY IT! This may sound like overkill, but my husband and I trusted when we were told to our face...
One thing San Antonio needs is people that are solid truthful people.
We have had nothing but scammers in one way or another since we got here. Even trying to do due diligence with each worker/company. BBB is a farce. Angies list might be more reliable!
Check your potential company in every way you can.
Good luck
A very crooked bunch of scam artists in this city. Wish we were back east where people are licensed to the hilt and tossed in jail when trying to falsify their credentials.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 PM

349 posts, read 421,982 times
Any of the big major HVAC companies will pull permits.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM

733 posts, read 1,046,823 times
angies list is a joke. i can pay money to write 'true' reviews about anyone i want! screw angies list, even craigslist has more credibility than a website you have to pay to write reviews on..

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,061 times
Default Inexperience,

The thing to do is to get 5 , even ten bids on any work needing done by contractors. Roofing,A/C, whatever. Get written estimates. Compare notes. Find the most reputable one. Inform each the contractor that you are taking bids from a half-dozen companies. You could shave a lot of money off the price by taking many estimates.
This will cut out all of the baloney about licensure. Ask for references and satisfied clients telephone numbers to get opinions of their work.
The con-artists will not be able to hold up under scrutiny. And, you will get a cheaper price
with them working against each other to underbid one another.
I have seen tempers flare using this method but in the end the most efficient contractor will win out.
Also have seen extremely bad screw-ups happen by licensed contractors. It is the most field experienced
people who will win.
It is always "Buyer Beware" in this type of business. As in auto mechanics repair you will be taken advan-
tage of if possible from not knowing any better than to trust.
Do not sign any "Open ended contracts" meaning by thia , agreeing on any possible "extra costs"
just in case the contractor finds some "extra" problems that need extra attention and repair and will allow them to add more money onto the bill in the end. This is a favorite for these folk. They can add as much as they want to by claiming to find any number of "problems" that need attention. In the end they will win.
Insist on one cost only, not any, possible extras. If it is a reputable contractor they will have to eat the extra "costs" if you have a signed contract in hand. It will then be their mistake in the bid process.
There are exceptions to every rule, but barring any horrendous mistakes they will have to do the work
for the estimated cost.
As far as pulling a permit is concerned , I would not want to give any illegal advice. If it is only a repair
I would not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
The contractor is "supposed to..." key wording.
I know of several people -myself included, who had 'James', tell us he was 'licensed'.....
Only to find out later that he was not!
Do not take someone's word. Make them show you their license AND insurance! Then VERIFY IT! This may sound like overkill, but my husband and I trusted when we were told to our face...
One thing San Antonio needs is people that are solid truthful people.
We have had nothing but scammers in one way or another since we got here. Even trying to do due diligence with each worker/company. BBB is a farce. Angies list might be more reliable!
Check your potential company in every way you can.
Good luck
A very crooked bunch of scam artists in this city. Wish we were back east where people are licensed to the hilt and tossed in jail when trying to falsify their credentials.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 PM

232 posts, read 379,613 times
I second Sasha's and KM1174 comments. If you need a GOOD hvac contractor, PM me and I will give you 2 to choose from.

PS.. I was a home builder and remodeling contractor for 11 years and have good, reliable, honest contacts.

Last edited by RedNeckRick; 08-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: added content
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio