Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,386,886 times

Advertisements

Yes none of her cnocerns are true but this is understand[abQly exactly what I would have exected to hear from a South Carolinian.
Not surprised.OTE=kevcrawford;31240937]Good Lord, no. There's NO truth to that statement at all. San Antonio is an absolutely amazing place to raise a family.

I've been here since high school and have had any number of chances to move anywhere else in the country to do what I do, and we won't move. SA is an awesome place to call home.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM

11 posts, read 27,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
May I ask where you are living now? We lived in Holly Springs a few years back then returned to SA. I always thought Cary was like a bigger version of Stone Oak. If I'm familiar with where you are I'd be happy to give you my impressions with how they might compare.

We are really close to Holly Springs just up Hwy 55 in Apex.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,191 times
Been in SA for 9 years and originally from MD outside DC. I LOVE IT HERE!!!! There is said it. I live in Canyon Springs which is right there in the Stone Oak area. This area is very nice and the schools (Comal and Northeast) are very good. We do have tons of restaurants in this area from chain fast food, chain sitdown and local eateries. Get out of the area and there are plenty of other options out there. I will admit since I am a Maryland girl I have not found a great seafood restaurant. Since you are in NC I am sure you do like BBQ and I have been told that the BBQ sauce here is very different and you do more pulled pork. But I have friends that visit from raliegh and the first thing they want is our BBW here.

As another poster stated where you live and if you like it all depends on you and what you want it to be. Go into the hill country and there are wineries to visit, rivers to float (ok the water is low) and small towns to explore.

Definitely come out for a visit.

StoneOakInfo.com | The premier Stone Oak online community

Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,550,686 times
OP, as you can see, many people have differing opinions. It will be what you make of it.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM

501 posts, read 948,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I'd say that San Antonio is mostly 'blue collar' in terms of the work force.
It's not. This has been stated over and over again.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
There's other food places as well as food trucks. One of the things I miss here being in Texas is a good Greek / Mediterranean / Turkish place. I haven't found anywhere yet in Texas that has a good place for that though.
Where have you been? Have you been to places and just not liked it or are you saying there isn't any places in SA? Because the latter would be insanely untrue.

Heck, the number 7 best food truck in the country is the Rickshaw Stop, which serves Pakistani food.

Quote:
Still I wouldn't say SA is as food diverse as other metropolitan cities but there are some gems.
I get the impression that you've seriously haven't ventured out past a ten mile radius from your house.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 PM

785 posts, read 953,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Where have you been? Have you been to places and just not liked it or are you saying there isn't any places in SA? Because the latter would be insanely untrue.

Heck, the number 7 best food truck in the country is the Rickshaw Stop, which serves Pakistani food.
I'm well familiar with Rickshaw and I'm a regular with the owner. The company I work for, his wife used to work for the company. They come to our workplace every Tuesday and Friday. Really good food, but it isn't Mediterranean/Turkish just FYI

I've been to Papouli's, Pasha's, Demos Greek, Alexander The Greek, and an Iranian/Persian place on the south side. I can't remember. Those places I weren't impressed with unfortunately. I know they exist, but compared to other metropolitan cities I wasn't impressed with the food or selection.

There is one Moroccan food truck in South Alamo that I'm very impressed with though.

Quote:
I get the impression that you've seriously haven't ventured out past a ten mile radius from your house.
That's how I feel about most Texans lol. Whataburger is the best burger they had, Mexican Food is amazing, etc etc. I've been to a lot of food places between Corpus Christi and Austin. I haven eaten a lot of places. I've moved 9 times over six states and I'm not even 30 so I'm not just basing my opinion off of limited experience.

I've stated that there are gems here, without a doubt, but you really have to look for good places. I've tried 4-5 Thai places I really like here too BTW.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Also to mention about diversity, you can do the numbers. The city is 70% Hispanic about 26% White, 6% African American, etc. so you can take that in consideration. People have different ideas on what diverse is but I would say it is not a diverse city. It would probably be a culture shock from you coming from Raleigh (I'm well familiar with the SE demographics).
Where are you getting your numbers from? For the city, the demographics are 62% percent Hispanic, white 27 percent and black is 7 percent.

Between 2000 and 2010, the Asian population was the fastest growing population in San Antonio.

Though I find it quite humorous when you lament SA as not being diverse and then use Atlanta as diverse when the White and Black population makes up over 90% of the demographic of the city.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I'm well familiar with Rickshaw and I'm a regular with the owner. The company I work for, his wife used to work for the company. They come to our workplace every Tuesday and Friday. Really good food, but it isn't Mediterranean/Turkish just FYI

I've been to Papouli's, Pasha's, Demos Greek, Alexander The Greek, and an Iranian/Persian place on the south side. I can't remember. Those places I weren't impressed with unfortunately. I know they exist, but compared to other metropolitan cities I wasn't impressed with the food or selection.

There is one Moroccan food truck in South Alamo that I'm very impressed with though.
So they do exist, you have admitted it. Yet in your previous posts, you're basically stating they don't. Not that you don't like them, just that they don't actually exist. Do you understand now why people are having issues with your posting?

Quote:
That's how I feel about most Texans lol. Whataburger is the best burger they had, Mexican Food is amazing, etc etc. I've been to a lot of food places between Corpus Christi and Austin. I haven eaten a lot of places. I've moved 9 times over six states and I'm not even 30 so I'm not just basing my opinion off of limited experience.

I've stated that there are gems here, without a doubt, but you really have to look for good places. I've tried 4-5 Thai places I really like here too BTW.
So what exactly is the difference between Texans and their love for Whataburger and Californians and their love for In-N-Out? Or the southeast and Krystals or the midwest and White Castle. Or the east coast and Five Guys?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM

785 posts, read 953,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Where are you getting your numbers from? For the city, the demographics are 62% percent Hispanic, white 27 percent and black is 7 percent.

Between 2000 and 2010, the Asian population was the fastest growing population in San Antonio.

Though I find it quite humorous when you lament SA as not being diverse and then use Atlanta as diverse when the White and Black population makes up over 90% of the demographic of the city.
Yeah I know I was mistaken when I said 70%. I meant 60%. I corrected myself if you saw above and if you saw my math it would have been over 100% lol.

You are considering two demographic groups there. Looking at Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
White %72
Hispanic or Latino %63
Some Other Race %13
Black or African American %6
Two or More Races %3
Asian %2
American Indian %1%

I don't have age demographics right now but there's a low amount of singles between 18-35 with statistics I've seen.

Compared with Atlanta:
Black or African American %54
White %38
Hispanic or Latino %5
Asian %3
Some Other Race %2
Two or More Races 1%
American Indian 1%

Last edited by Yac; 10-08-2014 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio