U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 PM

733 posts, read 863,676 times

Advertisements

i recently moved into a new place. the person who's living there was in the middle of the billing cycle on the electric bill. we finally got the bill for the end of that billing cycle and its jumped tremendously.

usual electric bill is around 100$. since i moved in, the bill jumped to 400$. 2 high end computers were added, a 75 gallon saltwater tank, and a few random appliances. no portable/window ac units. no second fridge, nothing... yet somehow the bill managed to quadruple.

at the last place we were living at, the electric bill was about 100$ during the summer with the AC at 77 and a full apartment of appliances. i simply refuse to believe that moving into a house thats double the size of the apt i was living in somehow resulted in a 300$ increase on the electric bill.

is CPS estimating again? is it possible that CPS added my final bill to the bill here? i have a balance of ~190$ with them that im about to pay off, but am now hesitant because i feel they may be doing something fishy to ensure they get that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM

37,726 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Why don't you call CPS and ask the details? We have no way to know what's going on.
There might be many factors: house size, insulation, location, shade, A/C condition and your appliances energy usage.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:34 PM

733 posts, read 863,676 times
the gist of it was to see if anyone else was getting slammed with gigantic electric bills. absolutely nothing has changed in the house sans 2 people moving in and adding 2 computers + a few random appliances to the mix.

its funny because after i posted this, what do i see on the news? cps getting accused of estimating, AGAIN, and charging people insane amounts of money for no reason.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM

425 posts, read 1,029,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
is CPS estimating again?...
Your bill will indicate whether the meter was read, or your amount due is based on an estimate.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,771,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Your bill will indicate whether the meter was read, or your amount due is based on an estimate.
Also, if the previous bill(s) was estimated and this one was from a reading, then that could account for it as well.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Walk out to the meter and read it, and compare it against the current bill.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,258,608 times
get ahead of the curve.. go out and get the electronic meter.. its going to happen sooner or later.. might as well get it now.. that way you don't have to worry about if some person is too lazy to get out of their truck to read your meter and estimate it. The meter is read from the office.. now if it goes down.. cant do anything about that but it should be more accurate with the electronic meter.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM

336 posts, read 413,889 times
Can you ask for a detailed study of your line? I've been overcharged a few times and they would come out to re read the meter. Bill dropped down afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or