Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 AM

80 posts, read 101,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm in & out of La Cantera all the time, I know the setup & I know what to expect & what to do. So PARDON ME if I didn't meet this guy's standards of a crappy driver.
Thanks for showing the internet why any driver would be aggravated with you.

Get some time management skills, give your brakes and car systems a rest, stop being in a rush, being an a-hole by trying to cut others off in the round-abouts of La Cantera and slow down. The rest of us don't have to drive that way because we have our act together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
In my opinion you did approach the yield sign faster than the average person who was planning to actually stop.
That said, the Jeep driver definitely overreacted.
Okay, I respect your opinion. But has anyone noticed that I'm approaching the yield sign at the same speed at the Honda Accord in front of me? So why is it that I'm getting the abuse from Bob Buford? (Not you, prim8)

Some of y'all think you're mind readers and LOVE accusing others. There's a yield sign there. That means I yield if I have to. Did y'all also see the plants that also block drivers' views of the roundabout? Of course drivers have to get around them to see what to do next. I did what I had to do (yield) as soon as I saw that I had to do it! Sheesh.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:48 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Soviet,

Soviet, I don't know your driving habits, I am sure you are a good driver because you seem an intelligent fellow.
There were plants in the way obstructing vision, well, was an even greater cause for concern and and caution and an even more tentative approach speed was needed then becoming a reasonable merging speed as the situation cleared.
SO what does it matter what a Honda Accord does, ahead or behind you? This is completely arbitrary. Lousy drivers are everywhere? The yield sign has not been what is being described here by posters but speed, yet after asking for public opinions of your predicament you assume an adversarial stance in
return ?
I would take all opinions literally if I were you. Make your own assumptions and proceed.
I have seen the same thing occurring in parking lots. Somebody driving a little squeaker automobile and literally flying around through the spaces darting about looking to exit as quickly as possible without consideration for pedestrians or even for a small child whom may dart from between parked cars.
Small car drivers; realize it is not a road race or even a rat race, just relax , it is better to proceed at a cautious pace lest the worst possible scenario occur.

Okay. So. Reminds me once again of another scenario I witnessed occur at another time between two little "squeaker" cars driving entirely too rapidly for conditions ( exemplary of ) in a parking lot,yet both confident in their mastery of the skills of darting rapidly around parking lots, confident they could keep their little cars under control.
The funniest traffic scenario I have ever witnessed in traffic was here in San Antonio but another story involving a scurrying pedestrain and a detached front wheel from an appoaching car. Another story.
The second funniest thing I have ever seen in an automobile confrontation was in a strip mall parking lot. I was living in a Detroit suburb in 1994, so as a consequence there were great huge piles of snow as it was mid-winter- piled up in enormous mounds at the end of each row of parked cars so the last three parking spaces,stripes, of each row were obscured from both ends, as was of course also all opposing, approaching traffic within the parking lot due to the height of the snow which had been cleared.
These piles had reached great heights as it was a very bad winter and some retail stores do not truck away the accumulated snow but pile it very high with front end loaders, perhaps twelve or fifteen feet high and wait until the spring melt off to remove it for them. IT is cheaper of course but stupid I believe.
I watched this entire incident transpire in front of me. Take heed. Each driver approached the end of
their own row of cars at a ninety degree angle from each other, at an entirely too high rate of speed, perhaps 25 miles per hour. As each approached the end of their own row of cars I could see plainly what was going to happen next because I was driving in from the opposite direction of both cars so the entire thing was totally predictable. There was no "yield" sign so noone was worried at all, over what might happen next. Sometimes we should yield when there isn't even, a yield sign ?
Surely enough as I had conjectured, the two little cars steered (one to the right , the other to the left) turning right into each other- collided head on next to the snow bank-with out any reaction time for any braking whatsoever. At full speed. A young guy and an old lady.
I am regretful to say that I look back with hilarity, and some bemusement also, at this incident. None was hurt of course but the little cars got very messed up. Plastic , chrome, and trim and headlight an' turn signal parts flew where everywhere,two cars worth, littered up the asphalt right next to the enormous pile of snow. Both parties got out with looks of great consternation upon their face.
Take heed or disbelieve. Drive always for unpredictable conditions or always varying road conditions or with ongoing traffic speeds.
This ain't the Autobahn, yes I've watched it too. Great stuff Soviet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Okay, I respect your opinion. But has anyone noticed that I'm approaching the yield sign at the same speed at the Honda Accord in front of me? So why is it that I'm getting the abuse from Bob Buford? (Not you, prim8)

Some of y'all think you're mind readers and LOVE accusing others. There's a yield sign there. That means I yield if I have to. Did y'all also see the plants that also block drivers' views of the roundabout? Of course drivers have to get around them to see what to do next. I did what I had to do (yield) as soon as I saw that I had to do it! Sheesh.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Soviet you approached the yield sign at a reasonable speed and stopped well before it. The fella in the Jeep had no reason to stop and hold up traffic. I've not seen this roundabout in person. The video is clear though. You seem a bit excitable but you were not in the wrong. Keep on truckin'!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
I will say though that I'm one to get really chapped at Yield or stop sign runners. Even those approaching at a speed great enough to give you pause and reason to slow or stop yourself even though you have the right of way. Happens to me everyday I drive among the many lawless knuckleheads out there. In other words, I've been the guy in the jeep especially when they run the yield sign and just keep a coming.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:50 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I watched the video again, the Jeep appears to start slowing down before you do, so I can see how he might have thought that you weren't going to stop.
Again, I think rolling down your window and yelling at someone while driving is an overreaction and in some cases dangerous.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Soviet, you just approach that yield sign at whatever speed you desire. I drive a 3/4-ton Dodge Crew cab 4x4. The paint transfer and bump in the road might get my attention.

On a more serious note.....ALL my vehicles are VERY well maintained - obsessively so, even. Having said that, I drive like there's an ice/oil patch ahead, and that any other traffic intends to hit me if at all possible. It's called "defensive driving". Is it worth it? I dunno......been 16 years since I was in an accident - rear-ended by a guy that couldn't stop as well as usual because there was some oil on the roadway that caused him to skid.

Still cost him over $300,000......... 3 cars totaled, along with a semi trailer loaded with swinging beef.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
In my opinion you approached a little too aggressively but what the jeep did was out of control. I've watched your other videos and I think you drive aggressive in general. You have to assume every driver in SAT is an inexperienced driver.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
In my opinion you approached a little too aggressively but what the jeep did was out of control. I've watched your other videos and I think you drive aggressive in general. You have to assume every driver is an inexperienced driver.
Fixed it for ya........

SA isn't the mecca for poor driving skills - I've driven all over the US and in a number of foreign countries - idiocy has no country!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
I love being able to take criticism from y'all C-Ders: it makes everything much better! Better to take opinions in stride and read them respectfully than to be hurt for any reason. And thank YOU for not shying away from your opinions! Much appreciated!

This happened on Monday afternoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9vygviuy8

I was driving from my parking spot at CostCo around the back and this motorcyclist comes down the WRONG DIRECTION ON A BLIND TURN and tells ME to "Slow down, dude". After I had stopped. Now, I'm no Internet IQ-test genius, but I don't think you can slow down anymore than stopping completely at a motorcyclist going the wrong direction on a blind turn! What do y'all think about what transpired here. Caught me by surprise, that's for sure. I didn't even have time to yell back at him! "You nincompoop! You're driving the wrong way on a blind turn, goofball!" =D

Anyways, do y'all believe I was driving "too fast" or was I driving just right? And what do you think about the motorcyclist? Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio