Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 13,930 times

Advertisements

I am a current resident of san antonio, texas, in the northern hills area next to the golf course and the area has been plagued with skunks for 5-6 years now. tried mothballs, playing music, keeping lights on at night, and even urinating into the holes they keep digging under my house, but they come back year after year!!! never fails so we have to hire a trapper every year and it cost $400 dollars a week with no guarantee. i was shocked to find out when i asked the last guy i hired, (which was a reputable company), where he relocated the animals. he told me Lookout Rd which is just a few miles down the road from me!!! upon hearing this i decided to do some research. it is illegal to drop nuisance animals off anywhere because there is a chance they are carrying rabies and they also need written permission of an agreeable landowner who is willing to have the animals dropped off on their property in a rural area no further than 10 miles out of city limits. it is also the law to check the traps every 36 hours so the animals aren't suffering for days at a time with food or water. these guys checked the traps every four to five days!!! Animal control says its my problem and there is no animal preservation center in the area that would even take them in even if i caught them myself. Texas Parks and Wildlife said they cant help either and suggested i buy a trap and then euthanize them myself by filling up my garbage can with water and drown them or run a hose from the exhaust of my vehicle to the trap!!!! are you serious??? is there no better way??? i don't have the heart to do something so cruel so i thought about doing some trapping and relocating myself but i need a willing landowner with written consent as i do not possess any land within 10 miles of city limits. if there is any animal lover out there who could help me out it would be greatly appreciated as i know what i am asking is a tremendous burden. i would even consider financial compensation. i would prefer anyone interested to contact me by email instead of replying to the thread but i will try to check it as often as i can.

Moderator cut: "Posting an e-mail: This is a message board, so members can reply to you here or via Direct Message. Please check back for a reply. Others might benefit from answers from other members here."

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-08-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,582,719 times
I am assuming by northern hills you mean one of the new subdivisions that used to be wildlife habitat. Eventually the skunks, and the rest of the previous inhabitants, will move away on there own or die by starvation, being run over by a car or killed by a dog or cat when they wander into the wrong yard. Until that happens you can either put up with them or do as TP&W suggested and dispatch them yourself. If you have skunks you probably have possums, rats, raccoons, hawks, owls, snakes etc. I guess you're wanting someone on the other side of town to take them for you. Your trash probably already goes to the other side of town. I doubt they will want your varmints too. Especially live ones.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,457,639 times
not to be mean, but cant you poison them, or shoot them. I am not interested in getting near a skunk, much less transporting them. if you don't have the heart to kill them, then you will have this issue to live with.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM

923 posts, read 1,500,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbohannon82 View Post
Texas Parks and Wildlife said they cant help either and suggested i buy a trap and then euthanize them myself by filling up my garbage can with water and drown them or run a hose from the exhaust of my vehicle to the trap!!!! are you serious??? is there no better way???
Unfortunately that is your solution right there. That or shooting them.
I don't like to harm animals either, but sometimes it must be done.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,338,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I am assuming by northern hills you mean one of the new subdivisions that used to be wildlife habitat. Eventually the skunks, and the rest of the previous inhabitants, will move away on there own or die by starvation, being run over by a car or killed by a dog or cat when they wander into the wrong yard. Until that happens you can either put up with them or do as TP&W suggested and dispatch them yourself. If you have skunks you probably have possums, rats, raccoons, hawks, owls, snakes etc. I guess you're wanting someone on the other side of town to take them for you. Your trash probably already goes to the other side of town. I doubt they will want your varmints too. Especially live ones.

I think Northern Hills = The Area bound by Nacogdoches rd, Thousand oaks, and Stal.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM

296 posts, read 1,248,465 times
It's definitely the California animal lover in me, but thank you for trying to save the poor skunks! I wish I could help

Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM

10 posts, read 13,930 times
yeah its by naco, thousand oaks, and stahl. 5-6 years of these little guys lol! cant shoot inside city limits. just realized they took down my e-mail lol, oops. i just wanna do this the right way. i honestly wont do it if i have to kill them myself. its ironic that the same people that tell you to check the traps every 36 hours and that you have to relocate them no further than 10 miles out of city limits of the city you caught them in so they dont suffer in the cage or in a habitat they are unfamiliar with also tell you its ok to drown them???? does that make any sense???? thank you guys for the info though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio