Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 PM

190 posts, read 219,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendox View Post
The 09 zip code is desirable for the 09 prestige. The pretentiousness mentioned above seems to ooze from 09ers. I can't tell you how many times I meet people and start conversing only to hear them say something like, "I am from 09, but I am not an 09er."
As a resident of Shavano Park, this analogy is hilarious to me because of witnessed encounters with "09ers". Notice the word, "self-importance", as in reference to how many of these people view themselves. While there's no denying that the area is regarded prestigious in San Antonio, and arguably, south Texas, it is really not anywhere else.

However, judging by the way a number from the area carry themselves, you might think to the contrary.

I live in Shavano Park, and don't fool myself into thinking it's something it's not. It's a nice, newer, upscale community with an educated populace who is not full of themselves. Just hardworking people, who overwhelmingly, are self made and proud of it.

Arrogance, from my experience, arises from people telling you you're "hot ****" (excuse my use of an expletive, but in this instance it was the perfect choice). Once people stop giving them attention and oogling over them, those with superior attitudes have nothing to be "superior" about. Basic psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 PM

190 posts, read 219,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abp32 View Post
I grew up in SA and my family has been here since the start, 1631. AH was started by people (around the 1870/80) who still have descendants living there and that is the reason for the pretentiousness. This is primarily what is called old money and they let you know it through and through. My family was going to live on Burr, which is Terrell Hills, because of the snobbery of AH and then opted for another part of the city that was developing.
Eh, I won't even touch that one! In any case, old money with class will not let anyone know it "through and through". People with those attitudes are what I refer to as the "wannabees".

In my humble opinion, the area is full of such individuals.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM

27 posts, read 127,251 times
I sense jealousy. Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, and Olmos Park are the premier neighborhoods in San Antonio, and will continue to be.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL IV View Post
I sense jealousy. Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills, and Olmos Park are the premier neighborhoods in San Antonio, and will continue to be.
Um...no, sorry, no. Nice old homes, sure. But the world has changed from the 1950s.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 18,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
Eh, I won't even touch that one! In any case, old money with class will not let anyone know it "through and through". People with those attitudes are what I refer to as the "wannabees".

In my humble opinion, the area is full of such individuals.
Agree with your view completely. Notice I didn't say the residents have class . . . .

Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL IV View Post
100% true. It's an expensive area and really, folks who can't afford to live there, well, it pisses them off. As a young kid/teen, I HATED the area (I was from a poor area), "all rich snobs!" was my attitide...BUT, as I grew older and wiser, made some bucks, where did I move? Well, I moved to Bel Meade actually, which is basically Terrell Hills (saved about 200K), buuuutttt...in a nutshell, it's a great, safe, friendly, (albeit somewhat boring at times) neigborhood, and sure, a few snooty folks live here/there, but that's anyplace (I would say Stone Oak is WAY snootier, but that's a different topic ). The whole '09'er bashing is just a stale, a never-ending cliche, folks. Move on.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
In regards to the snob factor... my vote is out on this one still. I get annoyed when the first thing that someone ask me is "What is your zip code" or "Where did you go to highschool". I think I am a little too mature for people to be still asking me where I went to high school... does it matter? I am curious... why do people insist on asking these two questions before asking any others upon meeting?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:02 PM

546 posts, read 3,103,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
In regards to the snob factor... my vote is out on this one still. I get annoyed when the first thing that someone ask me is "What is your zip code" or "Where did you go to highschool". I think I am a little too mature for people to be still asking me where I went to high school... does it matter? I am curious... why do people insist on asking these two questions before asking any others upon meeting?
Man, I get that gd "where did you go to high school" thing over here a LOT(not AH btw), and I'm 36! UGH!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Man, I get that gd "where did you go to high school" thing over here a LOT(not AH btw), and I'm 36! UGH!
They will be asking you the same question when you are 90... by then you can tell them you went to AH because they WRS.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Well, I get that from people all over town, not just in 09. I think it's mostly just an icebreaker and doesn't have any sort of snotty connotation to it. When I started law school here and would meet other local students, the very first question would be about what high school I went to. It mostly had to do with making connections and playing the six degrees game, and it was fun to find out what sort of random connections I had with my classmates - for example, one of my classmates went to Clark, knew one of my high school classmate's brother from football and had also apparently gone to my prom as another friend's date. Voila, instant topic of conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio