Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to San Antonio. We've done quite a bit of research and have narrowed our neighborhood choice down to Alamo Heights (AH) or Terrell Hills (TH).

Much has been written back and forth in this forum about these communities, but I'd like to have a better understanding of these places vis-a-vis one another.

My wife and I are professionals with advanced degrees. We are well-traveled and earn c.$300K per year. We are socially liberal (pro-gay marriage, for exammple), but not tree-hugger/metrosexual/cutting-edge folks. Indeed, we are definitely NOT trendy, and are not very in tune with TV, pop culture, etc. Nor are we especially religious.

We are seeking an established community of successful, welcoming people. We prefer understatement and sophistication to loud flash. We want a large, well-constructed, comfortable home in a safe, established, well-to-do area. Yes, we want to be in an upscale area (on this point I will confess to being a bit of a snob)

Using some commonly known symbols, we want a community that is...
...more old New England than Beverly Hills
...more Brooks Brothers than Prada
...more Upper East Side than SoHo
...more Patek Philippe than Rolex

We want to avoid flashy, gaudy wealth. We don't want "I have more diamonds than you" neighbors. We don't want McMansions in a brand new development. We also do not want to raise our children surrounded by racists, nor, frankly, are we fond of the Texas-superiority complex that sneers at other parts of the nation.

I anticipate spending $500K-$700K on a house, and dropping another $100K into renovations/updating, etc.

So where's the best place for me? AH or TH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,419 times
As far as the people in either city, I think you will find the attitudes to be similar. I live next to both cities and for all intents and purposes consider it all one area. The architecture of the neighborhoods varies a bit, which you can easily see by driving the streets. At the risk of being flamed, I would say the homes in Alamo Heights TEND to appear more modest, on average.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 AM

129 posts, read 399,648 times
Prof. Sounds like you just described Stone Oak. I consider AH and TH to be one in the same, also check out Olmos Park, they all seem to be your type of area. All are in the AH school district, IMO best in town & diverse, no racism in the area that I've seen.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:28 AM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
In order:

1. Terrell Hills
2. Alamo Heights
3. Shavano Park
4. King William
5. Monte Vista

Old 11-16-2007, 11:37 AM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
AH, TH and Olmos Park are very similar in demographics and housing stock, with some variation. Olmos Park is very manicured with large front lawns and winding streets (it was a planned development started in the 30s). Alamo Heights is much less homogenous, with a range of housing stock built over a wide range of time, but tending towards 40s-60s with new constructions mixed in. It tends to be more naturalistic than Olmos Park. Terrell Hills is even more diverse - it's the sort of neighborhood where you find huge mansions next to small ranches, which some people like and some people find annoying.

Really, in the tri-cities, it's more about finding a street and a house you like than deciding in between AH and TH. They are more alike than not.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
...more Patek Philippe than Rolex
That leaves me out.....Rolex wearer

Last edited by martinez4; 11-16-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: spelling:-)

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Alamo Heights is older. You will find cottages and 20's bungalows in AH. Terrell Hills (and olmos park) you will find more mansions. AH has more tear-down than Terrell Hills, although the ones in TH don't look as out of place as the ones in AH. I think you will find Texans in the major metro areas surprisingly open minded, although there is going to be Texan pride among natives, and that is nothing to be ashamed about.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I'd go for Terrill Hills, King William or Olmos Park for what you describe. If the choice is between the AH or TH choice, go for Terrill Hills.

Last edited by ShaneSA; 11-16-2007 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,815 times
For my money , Olmos Park is the best of the lot

Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 PM

190 posts, read 219,641 times
I agree, Olmos Park is the best looking, with Terrell Hills a close second - I personally don't care much for Alamo Heights.

I think with you being relatively "old school" in values, mindset, and lifestyle preferences, San Antonio, and specifically the Tri-Cities areas are exactly what you're looking for. San Antonio is an old fashioned city, set in it's ways, and not particularly progressive or cosmopolitan.

While I agree that the Alamo Heights area is not flashy, it most certainly is very pretentious. There's an air of inflated self-importance among many who live there, and that, to me atleast, is it a definite turn off. Regarding the issue of racism, I do not think the area is particularly racist, however, don't expect your kids to be exposed to many differing ethnicities.

But I think you'd prefer TH or OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio