Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,186 times

Advertisements

Do any of ya'll or know of anyone that makes and sells homemade tamales for the holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 78,750 times
Mmmmm home made tamales are the best, my neighbor makes them every Christmas and they don't last even last 2 days. I wished she sold them, I would be buying a dozen every day.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 AM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
I'm enjoying my mom's right now, brought back from CA. But usually around t his time of year there are ladies walking around the neighborhood selling their homemade tamales. Yummmmm

Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 AM

21 posts, read 91,098 times
There are many places around town town that sell tamales,,depending on what part of town you live. Here are two that i've been to for many years.
Delicious Tamales have 6 locations around town. They are very good.
But the best one's ...IMO.. are Rubens Tamales on the South East part of town.IH 10
exit Rigsby. They are 5-6 Dollars a dozen and well worth it. If your gonna get some for Thanksgiving,,,you need to order NOW!! For the Holidays you need to order at least
a week and a half or two in advance,,,,, and stick them in the freezer. Mmmmm,,,,I can taste them now

Ruben's Tamales
1807 Rigsby Ave
333-9529

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM

38 posts, read 157,507 times
Default Homemade Tamales

Rubens are definately the best tamales in town. We've tried the marketed Delicious tamales and I guess their money must be going to the mascot and commercials. They're ok,but if you want the best, go to Ruben...lines get very long around the holidays
Ruben's Tamales
1807 Rigsby Ave
333-9529

Old 11-17-2007, 09:04 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stics View Post
There are many places around town town that sell tamales,,depending on what part of town you live. Here are two that i've been to for many years.
Delicious Tamales have 6 locations around town. They are very good.
But the best one's ...IMO.. are Rubens Tamales on the South East part of town.IH 10
exit Rigsby. They are 5-6 Dollars a dozen and well worth it. If your gonna get some for Thanksgiving,,,you need to order NOW!! For the Holidays you need to order at least
a week and a half or two in advance,,,,, and stick them in the freezer. Mmmmm,,,,I can taste them now

Ruben's Tamales
1807 Rigsby Ave
333-9529
I called Ruben's to see when they would start taking orders for Christmas and I was told that they would not be taking any. It's first come, first serve. Del Rio Tortilla Factory on Gillette Ave. was my second choice (still yummy) and they took my order.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times
They make the best tamales in the world in Louisiana. I ordered them in previous years and have the knock my guest socks off during the Holidays; Check out the website below:
Zwolle Tamales
http://www.zwollela.net/tamale (broken link).

Old 11-18-2007, 01:47 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,667 times
In our area, we have a Mexican lady and her husband who park in the Walmart lot and open the back of their van and sell them. As you walk by, they say, "Tamales, tamales?" They started out with one van, and now they have two. I would assume it is a pretty lucrative business, not having to pay tax and all. They have been there for years, rain or shine. They probably make a fortune. The tamales are good, too.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
When I lived in So Calif (which was most of my life), the women in the Catholic churches - primarily Hispanic - made tons, and yes, I do mean TONS of tamales, to sell for the church....

they were readily available all over the place... my best suppliers - LOL - were co-workers, they'd work all day in their church's kitchen and them come in to the office about 2pm with boxes and boxes of them.....
they were incredibly cheap and awesomely DELICIOUS!!!!

One year, a co-worker invited me to their Christmas dinner; she was hispanic....
I spent the day with my family, then went over to drop in on her family's christmas gig.....
they had TWO huge pots going on the patio, both over an open fire, a big 'pan' of boiling water, and a big huge metal pot just over the water...... keeping the tamales warm.... OMG......
to DIE for.....

Old 11-18-2007, 04:34 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Ruben's are the best, but the lines are just too long. I was not impressed with HEB tamales, surprisingly. I figured they would be pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio