U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 AM

77 posts, read 106,002 times

Advertisements

If you choose to live in the suburbs, be sure you have a driver's license and your own car. Otherwise, I suggest you find residence in one of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown, and search for employment nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,820,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Homes here are detached.

Semi-detached is a bit more like a duplex, though in the UK they're more like townhomes but with only two units together (my English ex didn't like me referring to them as "townhomes," but to my American eye that's what they were like, IMO, albeit usually with a decent sized garden).

I can't offer specific suggestions on where to live without more info. We live near downtown (Southtown) and love it.

I'd second the recommendation to rent, not sure if that was your plan. Where is your other half working?
In the area of England that we lived, they referred to free standing homes, rare though they were, as semi-detached. Could have been a Dorset oddity. They almost had their own language in Dorset. Similar to Devon and Cornwall. The main phrase associated with the area where we resided was "in Dorset, where the tractors are." This was probably in reference to the large steam fair hosted by the county every year. The upside was that we were only about a half mile from the village of Lulworth and we could walk our daughter to the village school, and we were only 3/4 of a mile from Lulworth Cove. A very beautiful area, though the winter gales could take a toll.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,354,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
In the area of England that we lived, they referred to free standing homes, rare though they were, as semi-detached. Could have been a Dorset oddity. They almost had their own language in Dorset. Similar to Devon and Cornwall. The main phrase associated with the area where we resided was "in Dorset, where the tractors are." This was probably in reference to the large steam fair hosted by the county every year. The upside was that we were only about a half mile from the village of Lulworth and we could walk our daughter to the village school, and we were only 3/4 of a mile from Lulworth Cove. A very beautiful area, though the winter gales could take a toll.
That's funny. And makes no sense, since they're not semi-detached if they're totally detached. Ah, the people of Dorset are interesting! What'd they called terraced houses? Going to have to ask my Devonshire friend now.

I spent a good year househunting (much further north - outside Liverpool) but lived in Oxford and the family was in the Midlands. Sometimes detached houses are also called cottages, but this seemed to be reserved for older houses on their own bit of land.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM

18 posts, read 18,211 times
Many thanks for the suggestions, I live in Yorkshire it is a lot colder than texas! and very quiet. yes maybe renting for a short time would be sensible. would like to live a bit away from the city, although the city does look beautiful.
Have visited Houston and in texas everyone was very friendly and welcoming, in Britain we are more reserved, I like that americans are more forward.
I came on this forum just to learn more about how people live day to day, so I do appreciate your help.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Terraced houses are usually small no garden and what we call a back yard, 'a lot two up and two down' referring to two rooms downstairs and two upstairs, houses in America look larger and I like the open plan.

Although I live in Yorkshire I am originally from the North East Northumberland just near the Scottish border very beautiful.
Yes the Dorset accent is very particular, people are very friendly, and lots of tractors!
I would expect to drive in San Antonio.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Homes here are detached.

Semi-detached is a bit more like a duplex, though in the UK they're more like townhomes but with only two units together (my English ex didn't like me referring to them as "townhomes," but to my American eye that's what they were like, IMO, albeit usually with a decent sized garden).

I can't offer specific suggestions on where to live without more info. We live near downtown (Southtown) and love it.

I'd second the recommendation to rent, not sure if that was your plan. Where is your other half working?
thanks my other half would work at Lakeland airforce base is there somewhere near there nice to live

Old 09-24-2014, 06:34 AM

Good Afternoon,

Just an update, I am so excited the plane is booked and I officially move to San Antonio from United Kingdom in January, the cats are on the same journey!

Took advice and renting for a little while although having a house built near Lackland.

I am optimistic although will have to look for a job once there, I have seen some negativity regarding employment, have to say it is difficult securing a job from so far away.

I do hope to embrace the American way of life, and introduce some British ways, (honestly we do eat nice food, the traditional Sunday roast is amazing, and we are not too reserved). I am really looking forward!

Old 09-24-2014, 02:26 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,374,747 times
You might want to consider Northwood. It is a well established part of Northeast San Antonio. Most of the homes are mid-century with modern upgrades. The area encompasses Loop 410 to the north, Nacogdoches Rd. to the west, Harry Wurzbach to the east, and Eisenhauer Rd. to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or