Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

What does your kid like? Are they getting along okay and well with the teachers and classmates they have now? Why move them when they're doing well? Moving schools was one of the most traumatic experiences i ever had as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM

381 posts, read 1,092,600 times
My child is way ahead in math compared to what they are teaching right now in public school for 3rd grade. My husband has been working with him doing online math work (IXL) and so he is way beyond the 3rd grade curriculum.

We don't like the current private school he is going to. The school culture doesn't mesh with us and my son doesn't really like it either. We moved to SA from Houston a few years ago and had very short notice for the move. There was very little time to research schools and we had 5 hours to find a home to rent. We had to make a decision very quickly on schools. I'm not going to name the school here though I have probably done it in other threads.

I'll contact the administration for our public school and talk to them. We are leaning towards the public school route.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:37 PM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
Keystone if you are confident you can meet the financial commitment. NEISD isn't bad if you can't, but Keystone is academically elite and your kid will be mingling with SA's very best and brightest.

Again, NEISD isn't bad if you can't or don't want to.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM

146 posts, read 246,758 times
I think it has a lot to do with the child. Our son is at keystone, and is really enjoying it. It is an accelerated curriculum, so he can do advanced work while still being with kids his same age socially. So far, my experience is that they are very open to providing more in depth work than even the rest of the class is doing, if it makes sense for the child.

I also have a family friend that recently graduated from Churchill, thrived with some of the activities, and went to Yale.

I don't know exactly how the UT sytem works but keep in mind that if there are thirty something kids in the class, you have to be one of the top 3 to be in the top 10%. Of course colleges understand the type of school Keystone is, so even number 30 out of 30 usually gets into a great school, but it is something to keep in mind if you are focused on UT. (Maybe someone else can clarify the potential of getting into UT if you're not top 10%, but excel otherwise)

Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM

146 posts, read 246,758 times
You might also consider two new charter schools: BASIS and Great Hearts academy.

They each have a different focus, but are excellent schools and may be a fit for your child.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
I'll tell you what we were told when we had our son tested at the 5th grade level and he was beyond the
2nd deviation on the bell curve....."spend your money sending this child to Keystone school and you will NOT have to worry about paying for his college education". I vote KEYSTONE if you are accepted for sure!!! NOT a "$$$$ school"....all walks of life with gifts and talents school instead. Rich, poor, it matters not as long as you have the ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: