Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,092,521 times

Advertisements

Here is a hypothetical question for those familiar with Keystone and NEISD public schools, esp. schools that feed into Churchhill high school.

If your child was zoned to a very good NEISD elementary and middle school & to Churchhill H.S. but was accepted into Keystone for 4th grade, would Keystone be a no brainer? In this scenario, the tuition for Keystone would be a challenge for you but you could scrape the tuition together. You would probably need some financial aid assistance from the school (but that is not available until 6th grade). Also, logistics are a little complicated due to Keystone's distance from your home (and awful traffic on 281) and the fact you have a younger child who must attend the public schools due to special needs.

Your child is very advanced academically in math and doing well in other subject areas. Your child's current school is another private school in the area and is not meeting your child's academic needs. The current school does not offer high school.

The ultimate goal is to take many AP classes and be accepted to UT Austin at a minimum but also get some acceptances at more prestigious universities.

Would it make more sense to continue public school through middle school and then try to get acceptance into Keystone at high school?

Does Churchill offer the same number and variety of AP classes as Keystone? Is Churchhill really competitive in terms of making the top 10% for class ranking (I assume the top 10% rule for UT Austin admission is still in effect).

How do you gain acceptance to UT Austin if you are in private school?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
I think it's top 8% now.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Churchill classes are about 700-750 students. The school takes great pride in having more students taking more AP classes and exams than any other school in NEISD. My kids took a bunch of AP classes there. Both were/are in the top 5% of their classes. It's a competitive school, but I wouldn't say it's cutthroat competitive.

One of the few things I know about Keystone is that it is so competitive that students have to requalify for admission each year. That seems like a lot of pressure to put on a kid.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,615,903 times
I refuse to send mine to Churchill. The students are more and more coming from questionable neighborhoods. The budget cuts in recent years has done a lot of damage in my opinion. Go for the magnet high schools like ISA.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I refuse to send mine to Churchill. The students are more and more coming from questionable neighborhoods. The budget cuts in recent years has done a lot of damage in my opinion. Go for the magnet high schools like ISA.
My kids both know other kids who tried a NEISD magnet, didn't like it, and transferred back to Churchill after a year.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,615,903 times
I know other kids who tried NEISD magnets and liked it and never wanted to go to Churchill. There are several magnet high schools, just have to find the right fit. Actually there was one I knew who tried a magnet didn't like it, went back to Churchill and fell into a bunch of questionable kids there.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,138 times
NEISD schools offer both AP classes and Dual Credit classes. The % of students in NEISD taking AP classes is about 25%. I do not have stats on performance.

If Keystone will be both an financial and logistical issue, you should think very carefully about what your child will gain, and what they give up. The additional pressure that stems from $ and time/logistics worries is bound to affect you and your child.

BTW, what does your child want to do?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM

381 posts, read 1,092,521 times
My child is only in 3rd grade so we are thinking way ahead here.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,289 times
What school at you at now?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,138 times
Also, have you tried your local public elementary for this child? Do you know that it will not meet his needs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: