U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 9,314 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I wanted to get some feedback on some recommended apartments in the North side of San Antonio. I am looking for a nice quite area and safe. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
What's your price range? How many bedrooms?

Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 9,314 times
Well I would like to find something below 800 if I can, I am new graduate lol.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM

172 posts, read 285,670 times
Default Apartments on the Northside

Do you have a washer and dryer?
Still haven't asked how many bedrooms?
If you don't need a washer and dryer there is Aquila Oaks on Nacodogches Rd/Salado Cliffs Titan. But the bad thing is you won't be close to a lot of shopping without driving or catching the bus.
Rumor has it a new grocery store is planned for Nacodogches and MacArthur View.
And a Walmart is opening soon on Thousand Oaks and Perrin Beitel.

If you want shopping and fast food eats nearby there's the Rim At Oak Ridge on El Sendoro and Perrin Beitel. My dad lived there as a second residence in 1985 going back in forth from Houston to San Antonio for his job selling office telephones at the time.

If you want to be close to Sea World, and job opportunities in the medical field, I heard a lot of good things about Westpond on Horal Drive, but don't know too much about that area other than it's growing and it's Far West San Antonio.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,118 times
NewtoSA2013 I signed up for City Data just to be able to give some feedback on this site. My son recently relocated from San Diego to San Antonio..as a graduate student.. he pays $800 per month.. decent area.. near the medical hospitals, etc. UTHSCA.. He was blessed to find a wonderful private unit, with a wonderful landlord who was once a graduate student, and purchased it for rental property. We did everything via email and telephone... I checked property records as well. Now there was one very nice complex where friends and family drove by for us that my son didn't move into.. It's called Sienna Ridge Apartment Homes.. everyone who knows us and our lifestyle.. said he would love it here.

But I must WARN you.. SA communities are strange.. I have never seen anything like this.. you can go up one street and it is decent, nice.. go two blocks over and it's horrible, crime ridden, roach invested, gang banging. San Diego is not like this..neighborhoods are pretty much consistent within a a 5-10 mile radius. We did find the area of the RIM, La Cantera seemed pretty nice.. Reminded us a lot of parts of San Diego.. He purchased something from Craigslist (oh and our craigslist and thrift stores are phenomenal, not sure what's up with SA). Anywho, we drove what 10 minutes around the corner.. entered this apartment complex.. I was about to drive out.. I couldn't believe what I saw.. Pitbulls sitting in front of the doors, everybody coming out staring.. when the young girl pulled up with a huge great dane in her car.. my motherly instincts kicked in, "Are you OK here? You have two lil ones" "Yes, my boyfriend found this". There is no way in heck I would allow my child, especially a daughter to live where she was with little ones. Just be careful.. don't believe the photos and please take reviews seriously.. we signed up for SPOTCRIME and used this board too.

Graduate colleagues of my son who came from other parts of the country.. said they actually had arrangements to rent apartments, came and changed their mind. One guy from California put down a deposit, says when he drove into SA, loaded truck of his belongings, he pulled up to the complex and couldn't believe his eyes. Pulled out and looked for a hotel until found something better. Said, there was a convention in the city that weekend too, but he was not staying there. I think in California we have an eye for this stuff because when my friends and family come from Texas and other parts of the country, I drive them around to what we consider "bad neighborhoods, gang neighborhoods" and they can't believe it. They ask, "Why are people not loitering" Because here it's against the law for two or more to hanging out on corners, in streets and loitering, etc. "The streets are clean" But, that's the deception.. and why so many fall prey crime here because they end up in areas that look so good but are not. We don't have dilapidated buildings, trashed streets like I saw in SA. I couldn't believe it!

Not sure where you are from.. but Please be careful..

Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,277,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
Do you have a washer and dryer?
Still haven't asked how many bedrooms?
If you don't need a washer and dryer there is Aquila Oaks on Nacodogches Rd/Salado Cliffs Titan.
I used to live there. Do NOT move there. If anyone wants more info on this complex, then send me a DM.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:33 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,867,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpalmer1 View Post
NewtoSA2013 I signed up for City Data just to be able to give some feedback on this site. My son recently relocated from San Diego to San Antonio..as a graduate student.. he pays $800 per month.. decent area.. near the medical hospitals, etc. UTHSCA.. He was blessed to find a wonderful private unit, with a wonderful landlord who was once a graduate student, and purchased it for rental property. We did everything via email and telephone... I checked property records as well. Now there was one very nice complex where friends and family drove by for us that my son didn't move into.. It's called Sienna Ridge Apartment Homes.. everyone who knows us and our lifestyle.. said he would love it here.

But I must WARN you.. SA communities are strange.. I have never seen anything like this.. you can go up one street and it is decent, nice.. go two blocks over and it's horrible, crime ridden, roach invested, gang banging. San Diego is not like this..neighborhoods are pretty much consistent within a a 5-10 mile radius. We did find the area of the RIM, La Cantera seemed pretty nice.. Reminded us a lot of parts of San Diego.. He purchased something from Craigslist (oh and our craigslist and thrift stores are phenomenal, not sure what's up with SA). Anywho, we drove what 10 minutes around the corner.. entered this apartment complex.. I was about to drive out.. I couldn't believe what I saw.. Pitbulls sitting in front of the doors, everybody coming out staring.. when the young girl pulled up with a huge great dane in her car.. my motherly instincts kicked in, "Are you OK here? You have two lil ones" "Yes, my boyfriend found this". There is no way in heck I would allow my child, especially a daughter to live where she was with little ones. Just be careful.. don't believe the photos and please take reviews seriously.. we signed up for SPOTCRIME and used this board too.

Graduate colleagues of my son who came from other parts of the country.. said they actually had arrangements to rent apartments, came and changed their mind. One guy from California put down a deposit, says when he drove into SA, loaded truck of his belongings, he pulled up to the complex and couldn't believe his eyes. Pulled out and looked for a hotel until found something better. Said, there was a convention in the city that weekend too, but he was not staying there. I think in California we have an eye for this stuff because when my friends and family come from Texas and other parts of the country, I drive them around to what we consider "bad neighborhoods, gang neighborhoods" and they can't believe it. They ask, "Why are people not loitering" Because here it's against the law for two or more to hanging out on corners, in streets and loitering, etc. "The streets are clean" But, that's the deception.. and why so many fall prey crime here because they end up in areas that look so good but are not. We don't have dilapidated buildings, trashed streets like I saw in SA. I couldn't believe it!

Not sure where you are from.. but Please be careful..

I'm guessing you never ventured anywhere near Stone Oak, North central San Antonio, Schertz, Cibolo, or Alamo Heights did you? The medical is one of the most hit or miss areas of San Antonio. Those would be the areas that complete 5 miles radius that have NO run down areas. Calm down San Diego!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I'm guessing you never ventured anywhere near Stone Oak, North central San Antonio, Schertz, Cibolo, or Alamo Heights did you? The medical is one of the most hit or miss areas of San Antonio. Those would be the areas that complete 5 miles radius that have NO run down areas. Calm down San Diego!
Don't hate.. but actually we did visit friends in North Antonio.. and Alamo Heights. HAHAHA.. did you read the part where I said we have family San Antonio and attend a local church there. Even my family who are natives agreed.. My point of view is objective.. and I've giving someone without any basis better clarity..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,867,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpalmer1 View Post
Don't hate.. but actually we did visit friends in North Antonio.. and Alamo Heights. HAHAHA.. did you read the part where I said we have family San Antonio and attend a local church there. Even my family who are natives agreed.. My point of view is objective.. and I've giving someone without any basis better clarity..
No I never saw anything in you post about visiting family, church, or Alamo Heights. No hate here I'v been to San Diego many times and enjoyed it but to say you have 5-10 mile stretches of Mayberry is not accurate form what we saw.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM

733 posts, read 867,207 times
avoid datapoint on the NW side. thats one of those 'hit or miss' areas thats a big miss in the medical center. i used to live on that street back in 04 for 2 years. it got progressively worse to the point of police patrolling and questioning anyone deemed 'suspicious'.

im as nerdy as they come and even i was bothered once while standing outside with a friend (outside his apt to boot), conversing about cars. since my SO kinda works for the police, i told him to bugger off unless he was arresting us and we werent answering anymore questions. he stood there for a few seconds, went back to his car, watched us for a good 15 minutes before taking off.

that neighborhood really went to crap. i have no clue what its like now, as this was back in 06-08 and ive not stepped foot there since, so YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or