U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 PM

243 posts, read 283,878 times

Advertisements

There is No benefit to it. It's just another pink elephant project brought to you by our local politicians looking for votes and to line their pockets even more with our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM

4,185 posts, read 4,169,461 times
Sounds like the little noisy cable cars in San Francisco, in which case these are not used for mass transit like the Bart Train or a subway system in NYC, or the SD Trolley here where I live.....they are merely a tourist trap that cost $10 to ride round trip around downtown so people can have the novelty of hanging off the side like the old days.

It would make downtown more fun, but I am not sure its worth the cost.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM

216 posts, read 320,318 times
Well I started this thing back several months so maybe now it's time to raise it up into the lightning storm and see if we can shock it back into life. Looks like it may finally come to a vote, and that would be grand. As someone early on mentioned I don't live in San Antonio but I was born there 63 yrs ago and spent more than half my life in the city. I am a property owner and I pay city taxes so I feel I have a right to express my opinion. I think the trolley cars would be cute and novel but extremely expensive to implement and just not practical. One of the main reasons for rail trolley cars first being used was mules. The rails made the cars easier for the mules to pull and did not allow the mules to pull the cars out of their assigned paths. Looks like the mules are still wanting their trolley cars back. I really like the little trolley buses we have why don't we look at using something like that but make them electric ( a Prius on steroids). They would quite, efficient, non-smelly and would require no expensive rail system. Look it up on line, one example is Ebus.com they show a 22 pasenger electric bus for about 300K if the city of San Antonio is proposing to spend over 100 million that means for the same money they could buy 300 of these little buses which could go all over town just not along two narrow strips of iron. Makes a heap of sense to me, wha cha tink. (that's Comanche for " please feel free to express your opinion")

Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM

336 posts, read 415,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
Well I started this thing back several months so maybe now it's time to raise it up into the lightning storm and see if we can shock it back into life. Looks like it may finally come to a vote, and that would be grand. As someone early on mentioned I don't live in San Antonio but I was born there 63 yrs ago and spent more than half my life in the city. I am a property owner and I pay city taxes so I feel I have a right to express my opinion. I think the trolley cars would be cute and novel but extremely expensive to implement and just not practical. One of the main reasons for rail trolley cars first being used was mules. The rails made the cars easier for the mules to pull and did not allow the mules to pull the cars out of their assigned paths. Looks like the mules are still wanting their trolley cars back. I really like the little trolley buses we have why don't we look at using something like that but make them electric ( a Prius on steroids). They would quite, efficient, non-smelly and would require no expensive rail system. Look it up on line, one example is Ebus.com they show a 22 pasenger electric bus for about 300K if the city of San Antonio is proposing to spend over 100 million that means for the same money they could buy 300 of these little buses which could go all over town just not along two narrow strips of iron. Makes a heap of sense to me, wha cha tink. (that's Comanche for " please feel free to express your opinion")

Question: Why would someone who doesn't even live in San Antonio have such a dog in this fight?

Might you concern yourself more with Boerne and less with downtown San Antonio, where some area residents want to see this happen? Try living downtown first before you start trying to run it. This area now is nothing like it was when you lived here. Growth and change will happen whether the old guard likes it or not.

VIA already uses electric buses and their old trolley-looking ones are breaking down almost constantly. I see them on the side of S Main and around Downtown nearly everyday. They're unreliable.

Aside from a true trolley system, I'd also be in favor of what San Antonio kept turning down long ago, a light rail.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM

816 posts, read 1,480,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
Question: Why would someone who doesn't even live in San Antonio have such a dog in this fight?

Might you concern yourself more with Boerne and less with downtown San Antonio, where some area residents want to see this happen? Try living downtown first before you start trying to run it. This area now is nothing like it was when you lived here. Growth and change will happen whether the old guard likes it or not.

VIA already uses electric buses and their old trolley-looking ones are breaking down almost constantly. I see them on the side of S Main and around Downtown nearly everyday. They're unreliable.

Aside from a true trolley system, I'd also be in favor of what San Antonio kept turning down long ago, a light rail.
I work downtown. I live between downtown and Hildebrand.

That said, I tend to agree that the streetcar is a bad idea. It has nothing to do with seeing "growth and change". I would enthusiastically support light rail (I ride it often when in Houston). The old trolley buses DO need to go away, but I fear that the streetcar system we get will be far from the promises made.

Look at BRT as the perfect example. I championed BRT for years (serving on various committees), but what was actually built is only a shadow of what was promised. Look at VIA's multi-modal center on the near westside - value engineered to basically trellises. The city tends to move from idea to idea, checking them off as they go, but it rarely spends the effort (or $) to actually do it RIGHT.

Even if they did spend the money, is streetcar the best option? Although I am extremely interested in the continued revitalization of downtown... I just don't believe it is.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:39 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,452,504 times
Lightrail between downtown and outer areas would be really nice.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:33 PM

425 posts, read 516,460 times
I was searching this topic earlier. Funny how many years ago this board was overwhelmingly favoring a rail system
San Antonio Light-Rail... Possibility?...Give SA Light Rail...Light Rail Trolley

yet somehow, all i hear about is how people are complaining about it now. does anyone care about the opinion of residents actually living downtown? cause i'd like to know their opinion more than anyone else's.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
yet somehow, all i hear about is how people are complaining about it now. does anyone care about the opinion of residents actually living downtown? cause i'd like to know their opinion more than anyone else's.
I imagine the people who will have the tracks in their neighborhood like the idea. Problem is, they're not the only ones paying for it.

I get the appeal of it. It'd be just the thing for young professionals living near downtown to live a car-free lifestyle. Studies show that car-free living is something millennials aspire to do. My own son told me he would do that if he could.

Most of my generation doesn't like it or get it. Most north-siders don't get it or want it, either.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM

310 posts, read 465,416 times
I like the concept, although I would prefer true light rail. Unfortunately, light rail has been vilified here and politicians won't go there.

I know a number of people that live around the Pearl, and they are all in favor of it. Everyone I know under age 35 wants it.

The real benefit of this over buses, trolleys, etc is the fixed route and stations/stops. This should lead to urban development that creates more density and more fully utilizes existing infrastructure. This leads to property and sales tax revenue for the city as more residents move to the area and more restaurants, retail and other uses pop up.

Of course, this is a bet of sorts, but if done right, it has the potential to really transform the areas that it touches.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 PM

336 posts, read 415,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I imagine the people who will have the tracks in their neighborhood like the idea. Problem is, they're not the only ones paying for it..
True, but that can be said for a lot of crap my taxes pay for in Stone Oak and surrounding suburbs... But that doesn't mean I don't want to see general progress for the city due to my selfish cheapness

We have a city full of folks who's ideology is 'well, we didn't have it growing up, why should they?' and that's a damned shame. I await that group as a whole to die out so this city can truly come into its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio