U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,868,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
True, but that can be said for a lot of crap my taxes pay for in Stone Oak and surrounding suburbs... But that doesn't mean I don't want to see general progress for the city due to my selfish cheapness

We have a city full of folks who's ideology is 'well, we didn't have it growing up, why should they?' and that's a damned shame. I await that group as a whole to die out so this city can truly come into its own.
People have a lot of reasons why they don't like the project but this one I have yet to hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM

425 posts, read 515,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
People have a lot of reasons why they don't like the project but this one I have yet to hear?
well it's somewhat like that. the way i see the opponents thinking is, well this is pretty expensive and it doesn't benefit me so why should i be for it.
also people forget the key word, STARTER system. how many times do you hear somebody say, well this is stupid, why don't they build it from downtown to the airport or <insert location here>?
uhhhh gotta start somewhere.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
True, but that can be said for a lot of crap my taxes pay for in Stone Oak and surrounding suburbs... But that doesn't mean I don't want to see general progress for the city due to my selfish cheapness

Yeah. This.

I'm neither for nor against. In theory, I like any option to improve public transportation. In practice, the routes they proposed weren't great, IMO. They didn't seem to hit the population centers in a logical way and therefore I see them being underutilized, which is a shame.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 AM

135 posts, read 165,118 times
My only issue is they want taxpayers to pay for it somehow but won't let us vote. They say "private" funding but we all know one way or another money will come from our pockets. Put it up to vote and if the people want it great, if not move on.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,990,850 times
They could call it "Streetcar less to be desired"... I mean, if people actually worked and lived downtown then it might be useful but it will just take up space, cause major traffic jams, more problems w/parking and cost you and me, it is really just another horse & buggy tourist attraction.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 PM

336 posts, read 415,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
My only issue is they want taxpayers to pay for it somehow but won't let us vote. They say "private" funding but we all know one way or another money will come from our pockets. Put it up to vote and if the people want it great, if not move on.
But folks don't always get a say in how their tax money is spent... And if we did, nothing would likely get done in this city. Anti-progressives would only fund pothole repair and traffic light reprogramming.

I don't always like how my own taxes are spent in Stone Oak and the outer burbs, but I wouldn't ever pull that money from their use, all in an attempt to better the community as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio