U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM

243 posts, read 282,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I live downtown and I will be riding it. People on the northside can enjoy their overpasses and added lanes on 1604 (that I will never drive on) and others can enjoy the streetcar.
I don't think that would be a very good comparison. Many thousands of people move along 1604 everyday where as maybe only a few hundred at best will ride the trolley. The cost effectiveness does not add up in favor of the trolley as far as I can see, but maybe there is someone on here who would have better info on that than myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM

3,741 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
I don't think that would be a very good comparison. Many thousands of people move along 1604 everyday where as maybe only a few hundred at best will ride the trolley. The cost effectiveness does not add up in favor of the trolley as far as I can see, but maybe there is someone on here who would have better info on that than myself.
To your point 100,000-150,000 people drive on 1604 per day.

The San Antonio Area Freeway System - Loop 1604

VIA expects 3,000 riders per day on the streetcar.

Seattle's streetcar rides route to success - San Antonio Express-News

Tampa's streetcar caters to tourists but at its peril - San Antonio Express-News

Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

My BIL just moved to SA from Seattle. I mentioned SA's plan to build a streetcar system and the controversy around it. When I mentioned that proponents were touting Seattle's successful streetcar system he literally laughed out loud and said " I don't know who told them that but somebody's blowing smoke up somebody's a$$". He went on to say that locally it's a joke among the natives. A real money burner.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM

135 posts, read 164,604 times
Lol it only gonna travel a mere 6 miles at best...please tell me how that is gonna get people around effectively? It's b.s. And should be out to a vote...oh wait it was and we said no!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:05 PM

5,159 posts, read 9,672,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
Lol it only gonna travel a mere 6 miles at best...please tell me how that is gonna get people around effectively? It's b.s. And should be out to a vote...oh wait it was and we said no!
Yep in order for this to make any sense, it would need to come from outlying areas and go down town, as well as to the ATT Center/Alamo dome

Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 PM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
I would gladly support light rail, I enthusiastically championed Bus Rapid Transit.

The streetcar... I'm not sold on it yet. My biggest concern is that VIA hasn't proven that they are up to the task. I recognize that VIA doesn't get the same amount of tax dollars that most cities get, and I know that many in their office want to do great things. Their board (and to a certain extent, the city) doesn't seem to have the desire to actually finish things they start. Examples: 1. The downtown multi-modal. Initial renderings and concepts were awesome. Now it will be but a shell of its potential. 2. BRT. Originally it was to have dedicated lanes and prepaid boarding. Now it shares some stops with other bus routes (so the "level boarding" is rendered useless when they have to stack in a line), the stops are not maintained (landscaping has died and become overgrown with weeds), and they share traffic lanes with everyone else. I just get the feeling that they have a checklist of cool new things to try, and they try to do all of them as quickly as possible without making sure they are doing them RIGHT.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM

172 posts, read 284,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That really depends on the side of town. The buses out this way are always packed.
I can't tell you how many times I told Via they need more service on 550/551 which is almost always standing room only from Crossroads to Randolph from 4pm to 7pm.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,524,448 times
I am in support of any mass transit as we are in desperate need of it. With that being said, I'd much rather see a light rail than a street car though.

Have a commuter line on 281 into downtown would be amazing

Old 09-25-2013, 05:39 PM

243 posts, read 282,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I am in support of any mass transit as we are in desperate need of it. With that being said, I'd much rather see a light rail than a street car though.

Have a commuter line on 281 into downtown would be amazing
Good for you. Now send them a check to help pay for it since they are about 80 million short for their project. VIA did say that they are hoping the Federal government meaning us poor taxpayers would pay that. Of course VIA has not recieved any commitment for that. So long story short here comes the next tax increase for SA.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 09-25-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM

135 posts, read 164,604 times
I would love to have a light rail that could bring people from all sided of town into downtown. That would be something all of San Antonio could benefit from. But 6 miles of useless route c'mon the trolleys do a better job than that now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio