Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yep in order for this to make any sense, it would need to come from outlying areas and go down town, as well as to the ATT Center/Alamo dome
The original light rail project did I think and it was still voted down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
VIA should have implemented BRT with success then pushed for this. A light rail line down Fredericksburg Rd to Dt would work very well.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I assume most of you know this streetcar BS is only downtown routes for the tourist trade. We've had trolley service down there for decades now, just not rail. Remember these-

I've never seen one even half loaded. But we are being hammered for 262 million, that's $262,000,000.00 for the pleasure of having the streets tore up, more electrical usage meaning next will be CPS saying we need more electrical plants....and for how many billions in profits to the city? Yeah, it'll never pay for it self so we'll start seeing another "fee" added to your CPS bill to pay for it. All so that the big moron downtown can look good for his presidential run. Welcome to the Democratic party.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
The streetcar will be an investment. It will spur millions of dollars of residential and commercial development along the lines and revitalize the downtown area increasing the tax base. Downtown and surrounding areas (River North, Southtown, etc.) are becoming more and more for the locals and this will help continue that momentum.

In addition, money spent on building the line will eventually make it's way back into the city's coffers.

We spend a gargantuan amount on building and maintaining roadways. I don't see any of y'all complaining that roads aren't paying for themselves.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

I've never seen one even half loaded. But we are being hammered for 262 million, that's $262,000,000.00 for the pleasure of having the streets tore up, more electrical usage meaning next will be CPS saying we need more electrical plants....and for how many billions in profits to the city? Yeah, it'll never pay for it self so we'll start seeing another "fee" added to your CPS bill to pay for it. All so that the big moron downtown can look good for his presidential run. Welcome to the Democratic party.
but..but...it works so well in places like Chicago and NY.

You've pretty much summed it up perfectly.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM

243 posts, read 333,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
The streetcar will be an investment. It will spur millions of dollars of residential and commercial development along the lines and revitalize the downtown area increasing the tax base. Downtown and surrounding areas (River North, Southtown, etc.) are becoming more and more for the locals and this will help continue that momentum.

In addition, money spent on building the line will eventually make it's way back into the city's coffers.

We spend a gargantuan amount on building and maintaining roadways. I don't see any of y'all complaining that roads aren't paying for themselves.
Building and maintaining roads are a necessity in our world. Light rail or trolleys in downtown are not necessary. Big difference.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 PM

437 posts, read 638,923 times
I like the idea of it and see it as part of the plan to revitalizing the downtown area as well; I know it's the way of SA folks to be against such a large scale project though. No one likes change here. I can't think of a project using tax payers money that no one has complained about.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Sometimes a city has to be pulled kicking and screaming into the present. Via has alreaded funded 200 million for this project. It's embarrassing that we don't have any sort of rail, especially since every other major city does. We should have started light rail 13 years ago, we would have seen TOD explode just like they did in Dallas.
Does anyone here actually know how VIA is funded? Sales tax, a 3/4 cent sales tax, plus fares that's it's. Don't want to fund the street car? Don't buy things in the cities that are VIA member cities. Want to still shop in those cities, ask them to pull out of VIA service. Like it or not it's a done deal. Posting pictures of wheeled faux trollies is disingenuous at best and a lie at worst. This is what modern street car looks like

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
I like the idea of it and see it as part of the plan to revitalizing the downtown area as well; I know it's the way of SA folks to be against such a large scale project though. No one likes change here. I can't think of a project using tax payers money that no one has complained about.
Large scale Project? It's an oversized Brackenridge choo-choo train that's going to be used by virtually nobody and will cost at least $300M to build and then another $8M a year to "maintain".

People aren't against change. What they are against is taking $300M+ and essentially flushing it down the toilet.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 AM

135 posts, read 191,597 times
Lol what part of small you people don't understand? It's not gonna revitalize anything! It's only gonna travel in a SMALL circle like our trolleys already do! And the only people that will profit is gonna be via and the mayor as I'm sure he's getting kickbacks somewhere down the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio