U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
Reputation: 1735

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I drive 410 everyday and what the Dt peeps don't realize is they are in a minority and if 410 wasn't 5 lanes most of my journey I'd live WAY over by sea world. I don't judge and know why they champion The street car. At first I was soooo excited because I could walk less than two miles and a ride to the pearl, walk to Main Street, and Southtown. I being a truly rational person shouldn't have to rely on the people of StoneOak or Leon Springs to foot my bill so I hail a cab every weekend (14 bucks) I go out and indulge!
If that's the case, then I don't want a dime of my taxes going towards any new roads or expansion of roads outside of 410. As a rational person I should be able to pick and choose, down to the penny where my tax money goes. (See how asinine that sounds). That isn't how this country works fortunately, there is something to be said for doing something for the public good. Btw, 410 wasn't always 5 lanes, for most of its existence it was 3 lanes, and yes they used tax money to expand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Here
10,864 posts, read 11,930,859 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Please tell me what is funny? Young people want urban neighborhoods and various methods of transportation that doesn't involve a car. I live in the downtown area with many young successful professionals who welcome a street car. I have first hand knowledge of my statement.

So, with your background and expertise. What is so funny?
I hate to break it to you but folks considering a career in SA are sure as hell not going to be basing their decision on our mass transit options. This isn't a city with a business heavy downtown area like Chicago, NY, etc so your belief that it's going to factor into one's decision to choose a career here is laughable at best. Wake me up when we have a thriving CBD downtown and then I'm sure folks would be more inclined to support some form of rail. For now though, it will be nothing more than a $300M+, 8M per year tourist mover. (And no, putting in the proposed choo-choo Via train isn't going to spur some massive migration of residents and businesses downtown.)

In addition, the logistics for mass transit simply would not work for this city. Like Phoenix, this city is simply WAY to spread out to have any successful form of mass transit anytime soon. We do not have the population density to support a rail. You would need hundreds of miles of track to get people where they need to go.

Finally, not all young people want to live in urban neighborhoods and not own a car. Those that want that lifestyle typically make the jump to cities that accommodate that type of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
243 posts, read 283,489 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
If that's the case, then I don't want a dime of my taxes going towards any new roads or expansion of roads outside of 410. As a rational person I should be able to pick and choose, down to the penny where my tax money goes. (See how asinine that sounds). That isn't how this country works fortunately, there is something to be said for doing something for the public good. Btw, 410 wasn't always 5 lanes, for most of its existence it was 3 lanes, and yes they used tax money to expand it.
Not if the majority of the public is against it.
All you have to do is get a majority of the voters to agree with you. why is that so hard to understand. Why do you think that when a school district wants to float a new bond issue for new schools or whatever they have to get voter approval. If they did it any other way all of peoples pet projects that are always for the public good would bankrupt the city in no time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Not if the majority of the public is against it.
All you have to do is get a majority of the voters to agree with you. why is that so hard to understand. Why do you think that when a school district wants to float a new bond issue for new schools or whatever they have to get voter approval. If they did it any other way all of peoples pet projects that are always for the public good would bankrupt the city in no time.
The VIA transit authority was approved by voters in San Antonio in 1978 was well as several other municpalities. It has the authority and responsibility in it's mandate by those voters to provide public transportation. It doesn't and shouldn't have to go to voters anytime it needs to make a
decision that's in it's authority to do so. As I stated before, via isn't proposing any new taxes, and is completely funded through a 3/4 cent sales tax that voters DID vote for as well a fares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
243 posts, read 283,489 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
The VIA transit authority was approved by voters in San Antonio in 1978 was well as several other municpalities. It has the authority and responsibility in it's mandate by those voters to provide public transportation. It doesn't and shouldn't have to go to voters anytime it needs to make a
decision that's in it's authority to do so. As I stated before, via isn't proposing any new taxes, and is completely funded through a 3/4 cent sales tax that voters DID vote for as well a fares.
If they don't have to as you say then why was it put before the voters twice before. Also it is not completely funded they are 80 or so million short which they are hoping to get from the Federal government which they have not committed to do yet. You really shouldn't worry anyway it's going to be built. I just hope you put as much interest into watching over how that 300 million is spent because their will be a lot of hands on it and they all won't have your best interest in mind. Oh and remember I told you this when it is finished it will be closer to 500 million with all of the over runs and last minute changes and lawsuits that will come up not to mention if they happen to dig up a rare spider or lizard or something but have fun with your 500 million dollar toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
If they don't have to as you say then why was it put before the voters twice before. Also it is not completely funded they are 80 or so million short which they are hoping to get from the Federal government which they have not committed to do yet. You really shouldn't worry anyway it's going to be built. I just hope you put as much interest into watching over how that 300 million is spent because their will be a lot of hands on it and they all won't have your best interest in mind. Oh and remember I told you this when it is finished it will be closer to 500 million with all of the over runs and last minute changes and lawsuits that will come up not to mention if they happen to dig up a rare spider or lizard or something but have fun with your 500 million dollar toy.
They had to go to voters before, for light rail because VIA couldn't afford it and wanted to raise sales taxes to build a system that would have been need well over a billion dollars. VIA doesn't need to raise sales taxes for the street car, because enough funding is in place to start. They've already stated
that the project isn't contingent on the 70 mil that they hope to get from the Feds. I'm sorry that you hate the democratic process, but luckily you don't get to pick and choose which legislation and laws that you feel should be followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,572 posts, read 2,529,945 times
Reputation: 1885
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Not if the majority of the public is against it.

Just up north in Austin.. people are constantly complaining about how there isn't urban rail in the city yet and better mass transit. (Austin is one of the most traffic congested cities in the country and it's getting worse every year as the population explodes)

Well guess what, the citizens voted down a light rail proposal in 2000. Now people are kicking themselves wishing that they had voted in favor of it and be riding rail to work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
243 posts, read 283,489 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
They had to go to voters before, for light rail because VIA couldn't afford it and wanted to raise sales taxes to build a system that would have been need well over a billion dollars. VIA doesn't need to raise sales taxes for the street car, because enough funding is in place to start. They've already stated
that the project isn't contingent on the 70 mil that they hope to get from the Feds. I'm sorry that you hate the democratic process, but luckily you don't get to pick and choose which legislation and laws that you feel should be followed.
http://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/f...a/-/index.html
You had better go check with the head man from VIA. His very words just two day ago on the news were we are looking to the Federal government for the rest of the funds. I have never hated the democratic process, but I do hate when people like yourself who try to pervert the process to fit your own needs. I guess next you will want a new multi billion dollar world class airport built downtown since ours is outside of 410. I have asked others like yourself this question but have never received an answer, why don't you ride the bus? Is it you don't like it or it's not cool enough for a young professional as I heard others call themselves who live downtown to be seen in one. What is it? I think I do know why, but I would rather here it from someone in favor of the street car.

Last edited by geargrinder70; 09-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Adding Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
243 posts, read 283,489 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Just up north in Austin.. people are constantly complaining about how there isn't urban rail in the city yet and better mass transit. (Austin is one of the most traffic congested cities in the country and it's getting worse every year as the population explodes)

Well guess what, the citizens voted down a light rail proposal in 2000. Now people are kicking themselves wishing that they had voted in favor of it and be riding rail to work now.
Well put it before the voters again. If your right you will get your light rail. That's how it works and people do change their minds so give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,519,931 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Funding defended in streetcar proposal | Defenders - Home
You had better go check with the head man from VIA. His very words just two day ago on the news were we are looking to the Federal government for the rest of the funds. I have never hated the democratic process, but I do hate when people like yourself who try to pervert the process to fit your own needs. I guess next you will want a new multi billion dollar world class airport built downtown since ours is outside of 410. I have asked others like yourself this question but have never received an answer, why don't you ride the bus? Is it you don't like it or it's not cool enough for a young professional as I heard others call themselves who live downtown to be seen in one. What is it? I think I do know why, but I would rather here it from someone in favor of the street car.
Did you even read your own link? States right in there that VIA can build the project without the federal funds. Why are you even grasping at straws about an airport? What does that have to do with the any of this? I do ride the bus, I have a stop on the 14 about a block away. I've taken it numerous times. I've also taken the park and ride service from the randolph park and ride before it moved from Windsor Park Mall. My parents taught me how to use public transportation, because it's a life skill. I also used DART numerous times when I lived in the Dallas metro area. It was the best way to get to sporting events, the state fair, uptown, where you transferred from light rail to street car if you wanted. Don't tell me that Dallas is some great urban city, it sprawls for miles and miles over prairie, and it's suburbs are extremely conservative, yet some how they support rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top